1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

None Like it Hot: The "I Hate the Heat" Club

Discussion in 'Friends and Family' started by D'Snowth, May 22, 2007.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I KNOW! I HATE that! Another problem too, depending on how your plumbing is, the water never even really stays ice cold, after a couple of minutes or so, it pretty much gets room temperature (MUCH different story during winter time, when it gets so ice cold, it's like Antarctica).
  2. D'Snowth

Well, the 100s snuck up on us again today, it got up to 110 (we weren't supposed to have anymore 100s for a while), and tomorrow is supposed to be just as bad, we're not looking for any kind of relief until the beginning of next week, where we'll be looking at some 80s for a change.

It's really hot in the house right now, a sudden freak thunderstorm with really strong winds broke one of the trees in our side yard, which fell on the power lines, cutting off the power, which wasn't fixed until earlier this afternoon, so without any air conditioning during that time, it got up to the 70s downstairs in the living room, and 80 upstairs in the bedrooms. It's going to take a while for the house to cool down unfortunately.
  3. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

My parents really tried to cook an egg on the road it was that hot. Lets put it this way. My prediction of it evaporating before it actually cooked was right, even though they claim it worked.
  4. D'Snowth

I was reading in the paper today that this really bad, excessive heat we've been having throughout the summer is going to be normal now, thanks to Global Warming, and how devastating this is on farmers and crops, who are having a hard time keeping their fruits and vegies alive enough for them to be harvested.
  5. fuzzygobo

fuzzygobo Well-Known Member

100 and humid. Heat index 110. A cool 95 at the shore. And in the park the squirrels are using oven mitts to hold their nuts.
  6. D'Snowth

Apparently, there's been at least 30 deaths reported in association with this summer's heat wave so far.
  7. Tom Fraggle

Tom Fraggle Active Member

Yeah, I think I heard on the news recently, an old man died in his trailer because of the heat near my area. He only had some windows open and ONE fan running. When they went inside his trailer, it was scorching hot.

I remember those things, I use to live in a trailer as a kid and it was better as a kid to just go outside than stay inside one of those hot things. Even on a 100 degree day, it was cooler sitting under a shade tree vs sitting inside with a fan running, we had no AC until my teen years.
  8. D'Snowth

Yeah, I think it was discussed earlier in the thread, years ago, that contrary to popular belief, fans really don't help the situation at all: yes, they create what's known as a "wind chill effect", if you're standing right in front of it, but in the big picture, the fan utilizes electricity, electricity generates heat, the fan has to pull in the air behind it to blow it out in front of it, so basically, all the fan is really doing is blowing the hot air around the room. I don't know how many times I've told my mother her room would be a LOT cooler if she would just turn off her ceiling fan.
  9. D'Snowth

Well finally, we're seeing some relief: we've got like a week's worth of wet weather in the mid and upper 80s to look forward to... that's still pretty hot, but after having to put up with 90s, and even temps from 100 to 110, we'll take the 80s over the 90s and 100s.
  10. D'Snowth

Congratulations fuzzygobo, you done served as inspiration. :)

[​IMG]
  11. fuzzygobo

That's fantastic! Great job! :)
  12. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

I've been wanting to do this for a while, so here goes. (takes deep breath)

Global temperatures have naturally fluctuated since the dawn of time, the main culprit being the sun and cosmic rays from space, not humans. CO2 is a byproduct of temps, not a cause. Plants need it to grow and to produce the air we breathe.

http://friendsofscience.org/assets/documents/FOS Essay/GlobalTroposphereTemperaturesAverage.jpg

As you can see from this NOAA satellite data, there's been a slight trend toward cooling in the last decade due to solar activity calming down the decade before that, but its warming continued due to the oceans retaining a lot of the sun's heat. The rest of the data can be found here.

Also, the Earth has been way hotter in the past, yet life still flourished. Other planets have experienced warming, too, so it's BS to think humans have a significant impact on climate.
  13. mr3urious

Also, I'm not funded by the oil industry or anything else like that. I'm just providing some balance to all this hysteria.
  14. D'Snowth

Oh, all that, "Aw, this is just the earth going through a cycle it's gone through since the dawn of time" is more BS if you ask me.
  15. newsmanfan

newsmanfan Well-Known Member

------------
    Yes. The earth goes through climate cycles.

NOT THIS @#%$#^#$ FAST IT DOESN'T ON ITS OWN. It takes meteors, or, say, third-world countries who don't give a rat's behind about climate change to keep burning COAL to influence the temps THAT fast. "Global warming" is an inaccurate phrase...but "climate change" IS real. And we ARE having a disastrous effect on it...and soon it'll be too late to stop. We're likely already past any chance of reversing it.

Er...and that NOAA report also says the nasty weather is pretty much here to stay. So a lotta people are going to have to move. Soon.

More kids, fossil fuel and coal burning, and willful ignorance, anyone?
    ---------------
  16. D'Snowth

Well, they say on the news last summer, when all those terrible spring storms tore up the south during the spring, that at this rate, in the next 30 years or so, what we now consider "extreme" weather is going to be normal. You even said at one point that that area of the country you're living in is going to be completely inhabitable in the next 20 years because of the insufferable heat increase.
  17. mr3urious

Well, at least you guys aren't threatening to burn me at the stake like so many other stories I've heard about skeptics.
  18. Vincent Liu

Vincent Liu Well-Known Member

The forecast for today is 38 degrees C. The hottest we had so far.
    (still short of the 40 some of you have, I know)
  19. D'Snowth

I'm a little nervous about what all is going on right now...

The last I heard, our part of the country was supposed to be above average for the month of July, yet with the exception of the first week or so, our July so far this year has actually been average, which hasn't happened since 2003 or so: our average for July is usually supposed to range in the mid-to-upper 80sF (high 20s/low 30sC), and with the exception of one day (yesterday), that's actually what we've been experiencing, which has been great; we've been having thunderstorms almost everyday this month, which has really helped (though when the sun comes out immediately afterwards, it's like a sauna outside). Now what gets me worried is what is August going to look like for us? The last I heard, our part of the country was going to be below average for August, but since our July turned out to be the opposite of what they predicted, is the same going to be said for August? Will August be ABOVE average for us this year? Granted, August is one of our hottest months, and on average, our Augusts are SUPPOSED to be in the high 80sF (low 30sC), however for the last few years August has been in the range of 100-115F (37-46C), and if August turns out to be above average, what does that entale?
  20. fuzzygobo

Please don't begrudge me too much, but right now in my corner in the world we have rain, and after a massive heat wave, a cold front moved in and it's 67 degrees, high around 75. Wish you were here.