1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

November's Special Edition DVD's are pan-and-scan only

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by GelflingWaldo, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Erine81981

Erine81981 Well-Known Member

I email them and told them that I want a widescreen version ok. Good Night GW.

2. Feknoze

Feknoze New Member

Widescreen

I wonder if the same people heading up Disney's Widescreen vs Pan and Scan are heading up the Intelligent Design vs Evolution debate in Kansas.

Flying Spaghetti Monster Movement

I'm with FSM on this one, I want my movies in Widescreen, I have MTI and MCC in pan and scan already on DVD (and video) I want more, especially as it is a celebration of Hensons' work (albeit the younger). I have in my collection Muppet movie, muppets take manhattan the great muppet caper, labyrinth and the Dark Crystal on DVD both Pand & Scan and Widescreen double sided. or 2 dvds.
    Please Disney, even if you have to crack the whip and make your chinese sweat shops work harder, i want my Widescreen DVD's (even though you don't have to alter them for widescreen, but you do for pan and scan.)

After all the more pirates visible in Muppets Treasure Island, could make you solely responsible for slowing down global warming!

You know it makes sense. :halo:

3. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Shot off an e-mail to Disney.

4. TotallySpiesFan

TotallySpiesFan New Member

I guess we'll have to delay their full-frame and widescreen DVD releases to June 2006.

5. Mickey Moose

Mickey Moose New Member

Well, I e-mailed Disney. I'm hoping this is some kind of error, but if not, then I will not be getting any of these DVD's, extras or no extras.

6. Oliver

Oliver New Member

So I can now safely import a copy of "Muppet Treasure Island"... Can anyone please specify which country/region has optimal pq and audio?

Is it only the UK and Australian that offer this title in OAR; if so, which has the better image and sound transfer - R2 or R4?

Thanks!

PS - Is "A Muppet Christmas Carol" available ANYWHERE in OAR?

7. That Announcer

That Announcer New Member

Do a forum search for it. A guy posted about finding OAR copies in either Chile or Puerto Rico, with a Region 1/4 disc, no less! :)

I think (but I could be wrong) that the UK discs are usually better.

8. vetters

vetters New Member

I also emailed Disney in support of widescreen DVDs.

They are so backwards to really think that Muppet movies are just for families, and that those families prefer fullscreen. I'd like to know who their research base was.

9. MrsPepper

MrsPepper Active Member

10. That Announcer

So, as you know, I emailed Disney an irate letter two days ago. The letter can be viewed earlier on in this thread. I just got a response from Disney, and I swear to God this is what they said.

Ladies and gentlemen, the very definition of BS. :mad:

11. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet New Member

Good News...

I just spoke with my Disney Rep who checked in on the matter. He said that the press release was incomplete...and that both asepct ratio options (16x9 WS OAR and 4x3 P/S) will be available on all 4 DVD presentations.

THIS IS GREAT NEWS.

And since all for of these titles were hard-matte, the 4x3 P/S transfers will be true P/S making them good "see what you're missing" demonstration material for audiences who need to be educated about the difference between WS and "Full Frame".

See the thread at Home Theater Forum:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&postid=2770339&t=786#post2770339

p.s. I will be posting reviews there of all 4 discs when they arrive!!!

12. That Announcer

Good news indeed. I would still keep on your toes, as Disney's lied to us before...

13. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

Oh gosh; that's just horrid, really shameful. I already have TMM, GMC and MTM on DVD and MCC and MTI just went on clearance at my local A&P so I won't be buying them; but this is just a train wreck... only I plan to look away. :grouchy:

14. dbarrie

dbarrie New Member

This is the email I sent to Disney last night re. the DVDs.

OI MuppetFan

----- Original Message -----
    To: Disneyinfo@Disneyhelp.com
    Sent: August 22, 2005 10:00 PM
    Subject: Muppet DVDs inquiry/request

Hi,

I am a lifelong Disney and Muppets fan emailing you from Toronto, Canada. Is it really true that the Kermit 50th anniversary editions of the 4 Muppet movies you're releasing this November are only going to appear in pan-and-scan? If it is indeed the case, then I'm extremely disappointed, because I would rather see them presented in widescreen, at their original aspect ratios.

A few years ago Columbia/Sony reissued The Muppet Movie and The Great Muppet Caper as double-sided discs, with widescreen on one side and fullscreen on the other. This would seem like a practical and inexpensive way of making both formats available on one edition. Don't you agree?

I am prepared to wait an extra week or more to purchase them if it means having to redo them. Otherwise, I may have to consider the idea of keeping my now-obsolete Columbia/Sony editions.

Please take some time to reconsider your position on the Muppet DVDs.

Sincerely,

Donald W.G. Barrie

15. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Sah-ry, but I prefer full-screen. Those black bars at the top and bottom of the screen just get on my nerves. However, I do prefer the wide pictures on the website.

16. dbarrie

dbarrie New Member

Wow, if I had just held out a little longer in sending that email, I would've discovered this happy news sooner! Hopefully the 4 DVDs will contain both WS and FS. However, I would hold off getting rid of your older editions until after we have an official confirmation from Disney.

OI MuppetFan

17. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet New Member

I'd hold off on getting rid of any WS editions you have until the discs have been *reviewed* to confirm the good news...

fingers crossed!

18. That Announcer

I know I'll certainly be hanging on to my discs if there's no OAR discs, and also if the TMM disc doesn't include the camera test. My GMC is scratched enough by now I've got to get a new copy.

19. dbarrie

dbarrie New Member

My words exactly.

OI MuppetFan

20. a_Mickey_Muppet

a_Mickey_Muppet Well-Known Member

wow this is GREAT news! thanks man :) :excited: *does a little happy dance*