November's Special Edition DVD's are pan-and-scan only

MrsPepper

Reaction score
I sent off my email. I hope I do get a response. I hope they get so overwhelmed with emails. I am so very upset by this news. I don't have a copy of TMM of MCC, and I've never seen GMC, and I was really looking forward to these. But in fullscreen?! Forget that! You miss so much of the movie.

Having this confirmed is just a really bad ending to a really bad day.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
I strongly urge everyone to call or write about this.

If sales are low (due to the lack widescreen and/or features) Disney may just think that Muppet DVDs don't sell and no one really cares about the Muppets. But if sales are low and there is a stack of letters, e-mails and phone calls that say "we would have bought them" then they will listen as to what to do for next time to make the sale (they may even re-release the films again in widescreen collector's editions later on).

Even if sales of the pan-and-scan DVDs are high but there is in additional a stack of notes saying "we would have bought it too", will also show them how popular the Muppets are and that there are still interested people who want these movie sold to them.

But if Disney sells this product and no one complains (or just a small group of us do) they will figure that they did an OK thing (a few people go upset, but for the most part people enjoyed it and did not complain) so in the future all Muppet releases will be treated poorly like this. So we let them know now if a whole bunch of people complain then they may listen in the future.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Can I ask the people who want the widescreen? Whats wrong if they don't have widescreen? I'm just asking and don't want to fight. There are other cartoon DVD that are full screen and there fine. I have both of the MTI and MCC but I can't remember if they had the scan and pan across. I have lots of DVD that are full screen and not widescreen. I know that theres more to it but can someone explain why ya'll are mad for that reason.

Oliver

Reaction score
I was pessimistic about Disney's handling of Henson's properties from the get go...

:mad:

What a bunch of maroons. No sale here.

Cantus

Reaction score
Ernie, most people want widescreen because it's how the film is meant to be seen. Ghostbusters for example, when it hit dvd, you were able to see all four busters on screen. Too often in that film you would miss hilarious visuals because they were cut for "Pan and Scan". Considering the columbia versions were widescreen, it's plain stupid for a company to release them chopped. MTI is widescreen here in australia and the cinematic feel is far better than the PnS version. It really is laziness on Disney's behalf as they have the OAR masters and decide to cut them. There are plenty of cartoons in PnS. But often they're made for TV. Hence why they fit the tv. Sure, there are probably plenty who couldn't give a stuff either way, but widescreen has always in my opinion, made a movie feel more like a movie. I'm a film student and I always put the black bars on any video assignment I do to give it that feel, and it ALWAYS works.
The other thing is, the original data said we would be getting widescreen versions. These are clearly not.

Erine81981

Reaction score
ok I emailed them and told them that we all want widescreen. Now just to ask. Theres a picture of Lew Zealand, Clueless Morgan and Polly now is that what it would look like if they did it in Fullscreen. I want to know becase I looked at the same picture on my DVD player and you can see other characters in that shot. Could you explain it to me?

Erine81981

Reaction score
Cantus said:
Ernie, most people want widescreen because it's how the film is meant to be seen. Ghostbusters for example, when it hit dvd, you were able to see all four busters on screen. Too often in that film you would miss hilarious visuals because they were cut for "Pan and Scan". Considering the columbia versions were widescreen, it's plain stupid for a company to release them chopped. MTI is widescreen here in australia and the cinematic feel is far better than the PnS version. It really is laziness on Disney's behalf as they have the OAR masters and decide to cut them. There are plenty of cartoons in PnS. But often they're made for TV. Hence why they fit the tv. Sure, there are probably plenty who couldn't give a stuff either way, but widescreen has always in my opinion, made a movie feel more like a movie. I'm a film student and I always put the black bars on any video assignment I do to give it that feel, and it ALWAYS works.
The other thing is, the original data said we would be getting widescreen versions. These are clearly not.
Thanks you Cantus. I see what your saying. I couldn't find that Pan and Scan article. Then when I saw it I see what they mean. Thanks again.

Gonzo14

Reaction score
this has probably already been discussed, but will there be any special features on these DVDs, because if not, I probably won't buy them, since I already own them