November's Special Edition DVD's are pan-and-scan only

DaViD Boulet

Reaction score
Good News...

I just spoke with my Disney Rep who checked in on the matter. He said that the press release was incomplete...and that both asepct ratio options (16x9 WS OAR and 4x3 P/S) will be available on all 4 DVD presentations.

THIS IS GREAT NEWS.

And since all for of these titles were hard-matte, the 4x3 P/S transfers will be true P/S making them good "see what you're missing" demonstration material for audiences who need to be educated about the difference between WS and "Full Frame".

See the thread at Home Theater Forum:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&postid=2770339&t=786#post2770339

p.s. I will be posting reviews there of all 4 discs when they arrive!!!

That Announcer

Reaction score
Good news indeed. I would still keep on your toes, as Disney's lied to us before...

Vic Romano

Reaction score

dbarrie

Reaction score
This is the email I sent to Disney last night re. the DVDs.

OI MuppetFan

----- Original Message -----
To: Disneyinfo@Disneyhelp.com
Sent: August 22, 2005 10:00 PM
Subject: Muppet DVDs inquiry/request

Hi,

I am a lifelong Disney and Muppets fan emailing you from Toronto, Canada. Is it really true that the Kermit 50th anniversary editions of the 4 Muppet movies you're releasing this November are only going to appear in pan-and-scan? If it is indeed the case, then I'm extremely disappointed, because I would rather see them presented in widescreen, at their original aspect ratios.

A few years ago Columbia/Sony reissued The Muppet Movie and The Great Muppet Caper as double-sided discs, with widescreen on one side and fullscreen on the other. This would seem like a practical and inexpensive way of making both formats available on one edition. Don't you agree?

I am prepared to wait an extra week or more to purchase them if it means having to redo them. Otherwise, I may have to consider the idea of keeping my now-obsolete Columbia/Sony editions.

Please take some time to reconsider your position on the Muppet DVDs.

Sincerely,

Donald W.G. Barrie

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Sah-ry, but I prefer full-screen. Those black bars at the top and bottom of the screen just get on my nerves. However, I do prefer the wide pictures on the website.

dbarrie

Reaction score
Wow, if I had just held out a little longer in sending that email, I would've discovered this happy news sooner! Hopefully the 4 DVDs will contain both WS and FS. However, I would hold off getting rid of your older editions until after we have an official confirmation from Disney.

OI MuppetFan

DaViD Boulet

Reaction score
I'd hold off on getting rid of any WS editions you have until the discs have been *reviewed* to confirm the good news...

fingers crossed!

That Announcer

Reaction score
DaViD Boulet said:
I'd hold off on getting rid of any WS editions you have until the discs have been *reviewed* to confirm the good news...

fingers crossed!
I know I'll certainly be hanging on to my discs if there's no OAR discs, and also if the TMM disc doesn't include the camera test. My GMC is scratched enough by now I've got to get a new copy.

dbarrie

Reaction score
My words exactly.

OI MuppetFan

DaViD Boulet said:

fingers crossed!

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
DaViD Boulet said:
I just spoke with my Disney Rep who checked in on the matter. He said that the press release was incomplete...and that both asepct ratio options (16x9 WS OAR and 4x3 P/S) will be available on all 4 DVD presentations.

THIS IS GREAT NEWS.

And since all for of these titles were hard-matte, the 4x3 P/S transfers will be true P/S making them good "see what you're missing" demonstration material for audiences who need to be educated about the difference between WS and "Full Frame".

See the thread at Home Theater Forum:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&postid=2770339&t=786#post2770339

p.s. I will be posting reviews there of all 4 discs when they arrive!!!
wow this is GREAT news! thanks man :smile: :excited: *does a little happy dance*