1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Old Nick Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Greengables95, Sep 7, 2012.

?

What was your favorite show?

1. Clarissa Explains It All

10.0%
  2. Ren and Stimpy

30.0%
  3. Are You Afraid of the Dark?

10.0%
  4. Roundhouse

10.0%
  5. All That

16.7%
  6. Rugrats

36.7%
  7. The Amanda Show

16.7%
  8. Other

33.3%
  9. Don't Care

3.3%
  10. The Adventures of Pete & Pete

10.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.

1. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I think it was called the Nickelodeon Toy Run. I remember when I saw the commercials for the 1992 contest, I kinda wanted to enter, but one of the prizes was a trip to Hawaii, and for some reason I thought I'd get in trouble with my parentsif I won a trip there (I don't know why I thought this... One of those silly things I thought as a kid). Then I saw footage of the winner and thought, "If I had entered I would have lost anyway, so I should have entered!" (I didn't think about the fact that just because I saw a different winner on TV doesn't mean I wouldn't have won if I did enter).

I watched some toy run footage on YouTube, uploaded by the winner of that year. In the comments section the winner mentioned some cool facts about it, like that he spent five hours exploring Toys R Us in preparation for the contest, that the store managers were willing to lower anything he wanted that he knew he wouldn't be able to reach easily, and that it actually took a few hours to film the race.
  2. minor muppetz

Anybody remember the "When the School Bus Turns" insertials? They were parodies of soap operas, with unresolved "cliffhangers" (I assume they were intentionally uunresolved, unless I just didn't see the episodes that concluded each one). I never watched any soap operas (excluding the soap opera parody Soap) and had no idea that soap opera episodes always continued into the next one, so I was annoyed to see these endings and not knowing when I could even catch the next "part".

Aside from the annoyance of each episode having cliffhanger endings that didn't actually conclude, I did enjoy this series of shorts. One episode I liked in particular involved two girls talking, one of them lamented the fact that her mom wanted to throw her a birthday party. During the conversation, she would whisper embarrassing things about the situation to her friend, who would then innocently repeat what she said, causing all of the kids on the bus to turn their heads and laugh immaturily. Then the third time she whispers the other is about to repeat what was said but is stopped, and everyone on the bus quickly turns their heads to laugh but then don't because they don't know what was going to be said. That was very funny.
    beatnikchick300 likes this.
  3. beatnikchick300

beatnikchick300 Active Member

I remember those! I wonder if you can find them online...
  4. Mall

Mall New Member

Doug and Rugrats were the staples of Nickelodeon for me. They were the peanut butter and jelly of TV shows. 1A and 1B, and it alternated with me as far as which was which. I became a Doug fan first, started watching Rugrats in 1994 when it was given the 6ET weekday slot leading into the 6:30 Doug airings. Eventually, I grew to favor Rugrats, if only because I'd seen all the Doug episodes about 10 times at that point, and the Rugrats episodes were still new, or at least newer to me. Then the shows were inverted in time slots (Doug 6, Rugrats 6:30), and since my family ate dinner at 6PM, I was only able to see the second segment/story in Doug, and that helped recharge my interest in it.

Think I took a couple month break from Doug altogether at some point, and when I finally came back to it and watched it again, I was blown away by how I could ever have taken such a great show for granted. Eventually, I developed the ability to block out my intricate knowledge of reruns as I watched them (I learned how to live in the moment and pretend the outcome of each story was always in jeopardy), and therefore I was able to enjoy both Rugrats and Doug reruns every time they came on from then on (and Doug was moved to 7PM in either late 94 or early 95 so I could see the entirety of both Rugrats and Doug weekday evenings).

I didn't get Ren & Stimpy when I was a kid, and it just felt too dark for my taste back then. I've gone back and watched some of the John K episodes and found them pretty funny.

Loved Rocko's Modern Life once I really got into it and started appreciating satire. That was when I was 12-15 years old or so.

Liked Ahhh Real Monsters at first, but I remember a kid in a class of mine asking me, rhetorically, "you like that show?" to which I replied, "yeah," but then started to think about it and realized I really wasn't too fond of it anymore. I think I just got sick of the concept. After that, I just stopped watching it.

Hey Arnold was pretty good, but I was never a huge fan of it, for whatever reason.

Back to Rugrats, though. When I say Rugrats, I'm referring to the Classic 65. The Paul Germain episodes. Arlene "c-word" Klasky fired him, and the show went down the toilet. The more I read about that woman, the more I despise her. It's not Dil that was the big problem. It was the writing. It went from a show written on an adult level to being the most juvenile thing on TV. Klasky wanted her baby show about babies, and she got it.
  5. Teheheman

Teheheman Well-Known Member

Man, there should be an old school Nick channel for all the old Nick shows like Salute Your Shorts, You Can't Do That on TV, the old NickToons, Mr. Wizard. etc.

Daniel
  6. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Heheh... I'd love to read more about that stuff myself. Any good links?
  7. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

Yeah, I heard that story somewhere. I seem to recall reading that one of Arlene's big beefs was Germain making Angelica too unlikable.
  8. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

There's got to be more stories. I love to hear about production problems in cartoons.
  9. Mo Frackle

10. minor muppetz

I liked the solo Tommy episodes, but did find it weird they did ones where he could barely talk. But how did you feel about the three episodes that didn't have Tommy in them at all ("Cuffed", "Pickles Vs. Pickles" and "The Unfair Pair")? I liked all of those.

And I thought it was usually Phil and Lil who did the "Don't be a baby" line.
  11. Mo Frackle

Tommy used to say it in early episodes.

I only vaguely remember the non-Tommy epiodes. Which was the one where Chuckie and Angelica were locked in a closet? It's been so long. I actually do remember "The Unfair Pair", but not extremely well. Not sure if I ever saw the other two.
  12. minor muppetz

That's "Driving Miss Angelica", where Chuckie has to be Angelica's slave after saving his life. Tommy did appear in that episode, though I've read that the original script had him absent.

And that episode seems to be a little different from other TV episodes where somebody saves someones life. In other instances, the one whose life was saved offers to be the heros slave, and they end up annoying the one they serve (though with good intentions), but in this one it's Angelica who tells Chuckie he has to be her slave for the rest of her life, and she never gets annoyed by Chuckie's servitude.
  13. muppetfan24/7

muppetfan24/7 Well-Known Member

I miss the Rugrats! There were some great voices of those rascals including Elizabeth Daikly who eventually was the voice of Babe the Pig as well.
  14. Hayley B

Hayley B Active Member

For the one that posted about that they should have a channel for Old Nickelodeon shows. For that success of that "Totally 90's" slot, I can't why not. It would be nice to have a channel like that. Though in my case, I would love some of the 80's too.
  15. muppetfan24/7

muppetfan24/7 Well-Known Member

I was thinking Angelica makes me think of an angry and demanding little MISS Piggy as a girl.
  16. Hayley B

Hayley B Active Member

Only thing I had a beef (but not that bad) about Angelica. Was that they would forget that she is only a little girl.
  17. Mo Frackle

Apparently, that was another one of Arlene's complaints. I think by the time the "court" episode came around, Arlene felt that the Rugrats were behaving a little too much like adults.
  18. Mo Frackle

One episode that I only remember seeing once when I was very young comes to mind. As I recall, Angelica was made at Tommy and Chuckie about something, and chased them around her house (or it may have been Tommy's or Chuckie's house, I really don't recall). Anyhow, at one point Tommy and Chuckie hid in a closet. Angelica opened the closet and couldn't find either of them. It turns out that the two are hiding in suits hanging from the wall. Anyone remember this episode?
  19. HeyButtahfly

HeyButtahfly Well-Known Member

I remember that! A great mental picture comes back to me!
  20. minor muppetz

I think that's the episode where Angelica learns about the tooth fairy and wants to get one of Chuckie's teeth out of his mouth so that she'll get the money.