Old School Sesame coming to DVD October 2006

What would you rather see on the Nostalgia Sesame Street box set?

• Complete, uncut episodes

Votes: 59 46.1%
  • Compilations of the best skits

Votes: 28 21.9%
  • A combination of a few complete episodes and bonus skits

Votes: 41 32.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Janice & Mokey's Man said:
Oo, thanks for the heads-up, minor...I'll remember that as a "just in case".

I also REALLY hope they include my favorite live-action-filmed song ever, "We All Sing With the Same Voice"! :big_grin:
For another "just in case", that song is included on two different DVDs: Sing Along and We All Sing Together. Of course, on Sing Along it is obviously edited (the cast sings it in the linking footage before transitioning into the song), but that DVD is worht watching anyway, as it features Biff and Sully in a big role, and all of the skits are from the 1970s (including Rubber Duckie, Sing, Sing Aftter Me, and Doin' the Pigeon). I haven't seen the other DVD, but somehow I have a feeling that it's mediocre. I haven't seen many reviews or comments for it, and I know what songs are included, but am not familiar with most of them. I have a feeling that most of the skits are boring film segments.

Ringlet

Reaction score
This is gonna be so cool. And my birthday is in October so there's a bonus for me. :smile:

I would like to see a compilation of the *best* skits but since my *best* may be different, my vote goes to uncut episodes.

Besides, I may have missed or forgotten some since I was a kid and I would want the joy of rediscovering them.

Zet

Reaction score
Well this announcement is good news however you look at it:smile:.

As far as complete episodes vs. "compilations" - for me I'd have to go with the compilations.
Complete is usually the norm when I want to collect a favorite series, no question. I understand that "uncut episodes" are a must whenever the option is there, and original opening/closings are a must.
But S.S. is a special case. The reason for the S.S. exception is a good one: there's too much stuff I want, from about 10 years of shows.

If the goal here is admittedly nostalgia, the thing about complete episodes is they devote so much time to the street scenes. To me, the street scenes are like a day at school for kids vs. a field trip. Both educational, but the field trips are more likely to be memorable overall due to their nature. Everyone involved with the street scenes was filling a broad canvas for every single episode, so it's completely unrealistic to expect memorable moments on a daily basis. Oh and did I mention the fact that the street scenes weren't repeated, vs. other segments being repeated *on purpose*? Way greater chance for being remembered (nostalgia).
Like BWSmith said: 7 minutes of Buffy washing a baby? How many people are nostalgic for that particular scene, vs. 7 different Bert and Ernie clips (or 7 different live/animated films, Muppets etc...) filling that time, that people are much more likely to remember? So that's what I'm trying to say about time...the complete episodes seem to benefit mainly the people that want most of the time devoted to street scenes. Yes, I do enjoy seeing my beloved 70's street actors, Big Bird, Oscar, Snuffy etc... but I'd rather pick some of their finer moments.

Since I have no idea how many discs we'll see, space is a factor and I'd rather take my chances on compilations. Using animation as an example, that's maybe two hours of material (give or take), with each film being a minute or less. Taking into account material that I don't personally consider "classic" or "vintage" (or simply don't care for), I'll probably get lots of famous goodies (even though I've seen them on Noggin), and possibly some I want that were never shown on Noggin.

Another thing is that if compilations are released and they are really successful as "samplers", then S.S. can always be released as complete episodes to meet the demand for as many years as it takes, that would suit me fine:wink:

Since others are offering suggestions for the set, this is one possible scenario:

Disc 1: Muppets (non-street)
Disc 2: Animation
Disc 3: Films and Songs (non-street)
Disc 4: Street Scenes (at least one for all regular actors & muppets that appeared...also maybe special guests i.e. Stevie)
Disc 5: Selected Episodes (complete...i.e. Mr. Hooper dies, Stevie, etc...)

* re: disc 3 - this disc could combine classic live films and series (i.e. Appalachian mailman, Vivaldi flower, Frank Oz wire track, Baker series, Painter series, etc...) with classic songs (mostly set to films anyway, i.e. Raposo, nature films).

One disc of complete episodes would be nice, but not at the expense of the compilations IMO. Also representing alternate opening/closings on these might be something to consider.
Supplementary material of course could take up a LOT of space quickly, if that was considered (and commentary from some of the artists involved would be fantastic....wait, can we do 6 discs? No 7...just 7...).:big_grin:

Of course all this could be fleshed out much more, very easily, but without knowing how many discs in set it's a reasonable guess.
Ok I'll shut up now!
-Zet

doctort13

Reaction score
I'll buy this DVD no matter what they include. I hope that the very first episode is included, uncut of course. :grouchy:

chpoof

Reaction score
doctort13 said:
I'll buy this DVD no matter what they include. I hope that the very first episode is included, uncut of course. :grouchy:
Me too!!!:big_grin:

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Okay here's my idea...

Disc 1- Bert & Ernie (1969-1973) 25 skits from those years.
Bonus Episode: Episode #1
Bonus Feature: Introduction by Joan Ganz Cooney
Disc 2- Animation & Live Action Songs and Skits
Bonus Feature: Sesame Street Pitch Tape
Disc 3- Cookie Monster, Grover and The Monsters: This includes 25 skits from 1969-1979.
Bonus Feature: Grover (performed by Eric Jacobson) interviews Frank Oz
Bonus Episode: Mr. Hooper's Death
Disc 4- This disc will include guest appearances and muppet skits featuring Roosevelt Franklin, The Monsters, Songs and more.
Bonus Feature: Cast Interviews (Their favorite moments and memories)

So the set could have up to 100 skits all together. I don't think Sesame specials should be bonus features

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
This is great news indeed.

My only regret is that I think we can probably assume we won't see any skits with Kermit included in this compilation, due to the legal rights involved when releasing something on DVD. Yes, I know that Noggin aired classic eps with Kermit in them. But the rights for broadcast are different from those regarding DVD releases.

But I certainly won't mind if I'm proven wrong. :smile:

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
As for myself, I'd like to see a combination of uncut episodes and compilations -- plus a good amount of bonus footage like "behind the scenes" or interviews with cast, creators and other prominent players in the show. I think certain episodes should be shown uncut, like the debut episode from 1969 as well as others that represent certain milestones in the show's history like the death of Mr. Hooper, both introductions of the Snuffleupagus, 1971 and 1985 etc.

One things for certain though, even with one set they can't possibly satisfy all the fans completely. BUT...if this one sells successfully, then it's not beyond the realm of possibility that SW might produce more than one of these compilations. But that depends on how well it does on the market. For that reason, I'd encourage everyone to go out and buy their own permanent copy, rather than just renting it at your local video store. Millions of people buying it will send an unmistakeable message to SW loud and clear.

But for some reason I feel like I'm preaching to the choir here! :wink:

Grover

Reaction score
I think they should have two discs featuring complete uncut episodes. I would have the remaining discs feauring skits without linking footage with The SS Muppets. That way we could have two discs featuring new material and no repeated skits. They should have a "Tribute to Jim Henson" without him and Joan Canz Cooney SS would never have happened.

They could have Frank Oz, Jerry Nelson, Jane Henson,Brian Henson, Kevin Clash, Martian Robinson, Steve Whitmire and tons of others mentioing how it was working with him also Jim's infulence in puppeteering and they could use certain clips of Guy Smiley, Kermit, Ernie, Bip Bippadotta.

doctort13

Reaction score
I would like to see as much behind-the-scenes footage as possible. Perhaps I am a little too interested in "Sesame", and "peaking behind the curtain" would prove to be boring to the average viewer.

We shall see...

Status
Not open for further replies.