Old School Sesame coming to DVD October 2006

What would you rather see on the Nostalgia Sesame Street box set?

• Complete, uncut episodes

Votes: 59 46.1%
  • Compilations of the best skits

Votes: 28 21.9%
  • A combination of a few complete episodes and bonus skits

Votes: 41 32.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BooberFanMe

Reaction score
Nostalgic Sesame Street DVD

Hello, everyone. This is my first post. I am very psyched about the new Sesame Street DVD. :smile: It will be great to see Mr. Hooper and David again. I sincerely hope that my favorite Sesame Street muppet will be represented. I miss Roosevelt Franklin! I loved his skit as a very young child - Sesame Street and I are the same age, and have grown up together. A couple of years ago, I bid on ebay for a Roosevelt Franklin puppet, but was outbid while I was at work. :sympathy: As an English teacher, I don't want October to show up too soon. But, if I can only buy then, then I'll have to be patient. Take care, everyone.

trevrook

Reaction score
A while back they were playing "Sesame Street" unpaved on Noggin. I wonder if the DVD will consist of the handful of episodes they played there or will they offer more? I heard the Electric Co. is coming out with a Volume 2 set. I hope this trend carries over to the old Sesame Streets.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Barry Lee said:
I don't think Sesame specials should be bonus features
I feel like I both agree and disagree.

There were quite a few Sesame Street specials produced in the 1970s, but out of those specials, only Christmas Eve on Sesame Street has been officially released on video and DVD (and as far as I know, it's the only one that's been rebroadcast). I am not sure if there is any reason for the others not being released. I have read that a lot of fans don't like A Special Sesame Street Christmas (though I've heard that it was actually nominated for an emmy), and I'm not sure if any of the specials would be considered dated or not. A Special Sesame Street Christmas and Julie on Sesame Street both featured a lot of copyrighted songs, so I am not sure if there are any copyright problems with those. Of course, it seems like a lot of recent Sesame Street DVDs used celebrities as a selling point, and both of those specials feature celebrities.

There was a special called Out to Lunch, which was a crossover between Sesame Street and The Electric Company. That special would make a good feature for either the nostalgia box set or The Best of The Electric Company Vol. 2.

Out of the Sesame Street specials from the 1970s, I feel like Julie on Sesame Street would have the best chances of being released on it's own DVD. But I could be wrong.

superboober

Reaction score
What I would really like are interviews with anyone connected with the show's early years who's still alive to give descriptions on how certain characters and sketches evolved they way they did (e.g., while there seems to be several strong theories on how Don Music was retired, I'd be interested in knowing how he came about in the first place). If they still have the original unaired pilots, the ones with a real street that cut away to the muppets that test audiences fell asleep watching, I'd love to see them. Perhaps we could get some commentary on how Kermit came to be on the show in the first place and his subsequent brief disappearance and reappearance (since I'm told Sesame Workshop has the rights to show vintage Kermit footage, this shouldn't be too much of a problem with copyrights). They could also run faturettes on those deceased key personnel; I'd enjoy seeing retrospectives on Joe Raposo and Jon Stone, among others. And if they have any behind the scenes footage of tapes in those days that are still holding together, that would be a plus as well. There's probably more I'll think of down the line. :stick_out_tongue:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
If any existing specials get included as features, I think that the following specials would be best to include as a feature:

Julie on Sesame Street
Out to Lunch
The Grover Monster/ Jean Marsh Cartoon Special
Sesame Street at Night?
A Special Sesame Street Christmas
A Walking Tour of Sesame Street
Sing: The Songs of Joe Raposo
Sesame Street Unpaved

JoeyMuppet

Reaction score
Janice & Mokey's Man said:
I also REALLY hope they include my favorite live-action-filmed song ever,
"We All Sing With the Same Voice"! :big_grin:
That film is one of my older sister's favorites too.

superboober

Reaction score
My mother would always go nuts and sing along with that song, which would drive me crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.