Pre-Order The Muppets Original Soundtrack

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwmckim

Reaction score
why does Rainbow connection have to be exclusive to Jim and Kermit?
It certainly doesn't. The whole gang sang a reprise of it at the end of TMM - and let's not forget the whole gaggle of Muppets singing it at the end of The Muppets: A Celebration of 30 Years.

Nothing against the original Kermit version in TMM, but i've already GOT a copy of that on The Muppet Movie soundtrack...and Muppets, Music and Mayhem and a few other discs. If i'm payin' for a new soundtrack album, i'm kinda hoping it will include stuff that's - ya know - new.

We know what role We Built This City plays in the movie and i think it's just fine to include on the Soundtrack...if it's the soundtrack to the MOVIE and the song plays a good part in said film, well, then it merits release in the soundtrack. Remember this is a movie soundtrack as opposed to a "Muppet album" so not every track HAS to have Muppets on it just as many other Muppet movie soundtracks had instrumentals, songs sung by human cast members or songs by humans included in the movie.

I love the idea of a Muppet barbershop quartet singing Smells Like Teen Spirit...if you're gonna even HAVE a Muppet barbershop quartet, should they sing a classic barbershop number every other barbershop quartet sings to death or a totally random would-never-otherwise-associate-it-with-barbershop song done up in a new style? This is classic Muppet Show hallmarks, people! I know it's going to be riproaringly hilarious and i'm already placing bets that it will be a highlight of the movie.

And of course not only is it great that Celo Green gets Forget You associated with the Classic Muppets after his unforgettable pairing with the Henson Co Muppets, but of course part of the joyous novelty of the song being done by Muppet Chickens is knowing that the new rendition will alternately come to be known as "Cluck You".

Heck, I didn't even like it when Rowlf and Kermit sang it at D23
Wow. Now i know Frogster is one of those diehard "Jim era" Muppet fans but to be so stuck in that mindset that the idea of Kermit and Rowlf singing the song as a duet in a ceremony honoring Jim is something to cause frownlines as opposed to tears of joy and awe, that's gotta be a new level to sink to.

Harping on a Muppet Tribute Band (which are themselves Muppets in a Muppet movie) singing a Muppet song in a movie (what else would a Muppet Tribute Band Sing? "My Heart Will Go On"?) ...especially when the exact very same song gets sung later by the Muppets proper just really seems like really stretching and going out of one's way to find something to dislike.

dwmckim

Reaction score
I have no idea how Me & Julio will play into the movie, but i would be rolling in the aisle howling with laughter if when it does, at some point some character starts free-association singing "DANCE DANCE DANCE - ALL RIGHT! You can dance with me - EVERYBODY DANCE!"

Oscarfan

Reaction score
"Smells Like Team Spirit" sung by a group of cacti seems like the kind of nonsense act you'd see on TMS.

Also, Frogboy, have a heart please. It would do us all a favor.

terrimonster

Reaction score
I love the idea of a Muppet barbershop quartet singing Smells Like Teen Spirit...if you're gonna even HAVE a Muppet barbershop quartet, should they sing a classic barbershop number every other barbershop quartet sings to death or a totally random would-never-otherwise-associate-it-with-barbershop song done up in a new style? This is classic Muppet Show hallmarks, people! I know it's going to be riproaringly hilarious and i'm already placing bets that it will be a highlight of the movie.
It's already the highlight of the soundtrack for me, and I have no idea what it sounds like. I can't wait to see how it's presented in the movie.

outerelf

Reaction score
I need to stop spoiling myself on the movie. -_- Between this and the new 1 minute commercial I'm beginning to feel like maybe skipping out on seeing the movie.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Wow. Now i know Frogster is one of those diehard "Jim era" Muppet fans but to be so stuck in that mindset that the idea of Kermit and Rowlf singing the song as a duet in a ceremony honoring Jim is something to cause frownlines as opposed to tears of joy and awe, that's gotta be a new level to sink to.

Harping on a Muppet Tribute Band (which are themselves Muppets in a Muppet movie) singing a Muppet song in a movie (what else would a Muppet Tribute Band Sing? "My Heart Will Go On"?) ...especially when the exact very same song gets sung later by the Muppets proper just really seems like really stretching and going out of one's way to find something to dislike.
Exactly.

A Muppet cover band covering a Muppet song is blasphemy, eh?

Well, I can assure you that has never...

oh wait..

there's This and of course This... not to mention This... I'm sure they're not great.

What better way for the Muppets to discover the Moopets mangling a cover version of their song and getting disgusted?

We know what role We Built This City plays in the movie and i think it's just fine to include on the Soundtrack...if it's the soundtrack to the MOVIE and the song plays a good part in said film, well, then it merits release in the soundtrack. Remember this is a movie soundtrack as opposed to a "Muppet album" so not every track HAS to have Muppets on it just as many other Muppet movie soundtracks had instrumentals, songs sung by human cast members or songs by humans included in the movie.

Yeah... we all get the fact that "we Built this City" is supposed to parody the 1980's cleaning stuff up montage. I'm wondering if they were originally going to use "Put one Foot in Front of the Other" but couldn't get the right.

Crazy interpretations of songs are a Muppet Hallmark. Jim took a crappy Moog synthesized song from the soundtrack of a sex documentary and turned it into:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N_tupPBtWQ

A Barber Shop singing an inappropriate song? Why that's right out of the skits in Muppets Tonight that ACTUALLY worked. Let's also not forget Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem's hard rock cover of Tenderly.

Seriously... anyone else sick of the negativity about this film based on tiny little bits of info? I sure as shell am.

Frogster

Reaction score
Look, it was alright back then for them to do Rainbow Connection because they weren't trying to put a so-called 'funny' spin on it. Yeah I'm a "Jim Era" fan but regardless of that, this is a song that had been nominated for a Grammy for best song, plus many other famous singers have sung it and it's been revered as an excellent definition of what the Muppets stand for.

The Muppets don't always have to make everything funny.

Drtooth

Reaction score

It's not a "funny spin." It's a "plot point." We can't know for sure what's going on, why these songs are used, or how they're used until we see them in context. I'm kinda sick of explaining jokes that are only hinted at.

My only real complaint, now that I think about it, There's NO Electric Mayhem song. There was the intention, though...
My Morning Jacket wrote some songs that were to be used in the final film
including this one (more are around that page) that were to have been performed by Mayhem. I wonder if they were cut for time or something. Still, would be great if they had the Mayhem perform them on the CD soundtrack, like the Songs from MCC that didn't fit in the movie.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
why does Rainbow connection have to be exclusive to Jim and Kermit?...if anything its Paul Williams' song he wrote it and he still sings it to this day, i..people have been inspired by it and cover it in their own ways and sing it, its the first full blown song i learned and the one i used to sing when i was little with my kermit puppet ,im really getting tired of all this purism that only the original and first is best
I totally agree.

Frogster is once again becoming extremely annoying with his attitude and overly-invalid remarks. :rolleyes:

Stop looking for excuses to hate the new movie, Frogster! Just stop it, please! :mad:

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
who says its trying to be funny? its not the RainBOO connectioon or a parody its their own take on the song...their tribute to it, now we are just being nit picky amd looking for stuff to not like in the film, going in with a sourpuss so know matter what good could be in it our attitudes will hate it

we dont know the context of the film where the Moopets fit,outside of the tribute band in the end they could (just for the film) sing along side Kermit and the Gang,
Happen in MTM why cant it happen here, thats what they need thats what theyve been looking for, more frogs and dogs and bears and chickens and whatevers

also Drtooth dont forget theres a whole tribute band Called the Dead Hensons

Status
Not open for further replies.