1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Puppeteer's Resources Links

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by Fozzie Bear, Aug 23, 2005.

1. RottenPuppets

RottenPuppets New Member

2. pjpiperhop

pjpiperhop New Member

I quickly looked through the links and see if this one is listed and didn’t see it.
    I recently got some reticulated (Scott) foam from then Dallas Puppet Theater. It was a reasonable price, quick delivery, and a friendly staff to order from.
    They also have other puppet related products.
    The reticulated foam link is:
    http://www.puppetry.org/store/index.php/cPath/22

3. mercnrufus

mercnrufus New Member

foam

Hi, anyone have a link for 1/4" foam? I'm looking for a roll. For some reason I couldnt get a lot of the links posted in this thread to open.

Thanks!

4. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Feather hair is pretty tricky stuff. I've only made one puppet using it, but, boy! Did it look good! (at the time, I had to dye all my own feathers. What a pain!) I also used full feathers, they weren't trimmed or anything, so it didn't look like typical Muppet feather hair.

I would suggest using the Trimmed Ostrich ("nondu") from www.tonyhill.net . I think that might work best for something like Animal's hair... maybe. I actually don't know, it just seems like that would be the one to try.

5. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Quick question...

What about this? They call it open cell super soft foam. Has anyone used it? Is it any good?

I hate to sound cheap or anything, but... I really can't afford half the stuff being pointed out for carving foam. This is the least expensive I've found, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether or not it'll actually work.

Other options include:
    http://www.usafoam.com/opencellfoam/poly.html
    http://www.usafoam.com/opencellfoam/LUX-R.html

There are a few other less expensive options. Any thoughts?

6. dkmontgomery

dkmontgomery Member

Great resource info!

Hey! I am new on muppet central. This is some great information!:crazy:

7. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Hey, DK! Glad to see you on the boards and that this information is helpful.

If you get a chance, we'd like to know you better here:
    http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=2294

As far as Ostrich Feather Hair, I wrote to www.TonyHill.net and sent a photo of Wembley Fraggle's hair asking, "How do I do this?" I got the following response:

This is very helpful information, so everyone go over to www.tonyhill.net an get your feathers!

8. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Glued in place individually??? Holy cow!

Thank you for clearing that up for me, Kev. I told you I didn't really know. I just make it up as I go along! ;)

I'm going to that website right now to order some stuff for my next puppet. It's nice to see he's so helpful, too.

9. Puppettown

Puppettown New Member

Thanks for the link to the ostrich feathers, I've been looking for them.:excited:

10. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

11. Lady Constance

Lady Constance New Member

UK Puppet Building Supplies

I realise that most of you seem to be in America, but I thought I'd ask -

Does anyone know where I can get hold of puppet building supplies in the UK?

I've just got the Glorified Sock Puppet pattern and thought I'd have a go at building my first puppet, but I'm a bit stumped as to where to get things from, particularly Antron Fleece - is there a UK supplier? Also, I'm not familiar with polyfoam and posterboard - are these called something else in the UK?

Thanks for your help.

12. SesameKermie

SesameKermie Member

Lady C,

I don't know of specific suppliers in the UK, but I think Antron Fleece is only produced by Georgia Stage. I'm pretty sure they will ship internationally.

As far as poster board, I think it might be referred to as 'card' across the pond. It comes in various sizes, but commonly is around 4 ft by 5 ft. (Forgive me for not using metric dimensions.) Schoolchildren use it for science fair displays.

Polyfoam is the kind of foam they use in upholstery. It usually comes in multiple thicknesses, but for puppet making, generally the 1/2", 1/4", and one inch thicknesses are used.

I hope this helps,

Jason

13. Lady Constance

Lady Constance New Member

Ok. I did wonder if it was only an American thing, so I'll check out the shipping ...

That makes sense - and it's easy to find!

Ok. That should be fairly easy to find too.

Very helpful, thanks.

14. Eddiemonster

Eddiemonster New Member

Best Glue to use?

I saw a video on youtube called "Making a puppet tutorial part 2". The builder was using a glue to seam together the foam that seemed to give her alot of time and then sealed instantly when she pressed the seams together. I was wondering if anyone knew what type of glue this would be or if anyone could suggest the best type of glue to use for seaming together foam.
    Thx in advance.

15. FraggleRocker64

FraggleRocker64 New Member

:) Hola! ;) hehe well i saw the same video and thought where the heck do i get that? well i live in florida too and went to joAnne fabrics, they have a glue it works awesome! it works with fabric on foam, foam on foam, fabric on fabric, fabric on poster board, etc..... ytour welcome! and heres the link to it!:excited:

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat3268&PRODID=prd6064&source=search

16. Teenager's

Teenager's Member

I've used that. Boy is it smelly! You should definetly get a ventilated space to use that. Also no lie, it does work Fast like it says on the bottle. Also as a tip, if you're going to use it to glue onto a flexible part say live hands DON'T it gets TOO stiff to move.

17. Toasty

Toasty New Member

I have not seen the video you describe, but the David Pannebacker videos turned me onto a product called DAP Weldwood contact cement http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_id=47
    It is VERY potent stuff (ie: do not inhale it directly from bottle accidentally) but it works like rubber cement in that you apply it to both sides of the foam (or just about anything---including fingers---so be very careful), allow the adhesive to dry so it isn't tacky, and then press the 2 parts together. This creates an instant and incedibly strong bond.

Except for the special handling care that needs to be taken, it is the best stuff I've tried for bonding foam pieces together. I've also used it to attach eyes, noses, and ears directly on top of Antron fleece... those suckers are not coming off without taking half the fleece along with it.

18. Teenager's

Teenager's Member

Yes, I also like using DAP Weldwood....but I find that when I use it I HAVE to let it air out for a day (sometimes 2) before I can continue working, because it smells a bit like a sewer. BUT it definetly does work and is Great to use.

19. bezalel

bezalel New Member

20. KermieBaby47

KermieBaby47 Well-Known Member

I remember seeing a tutorial or a video a while back about a puppet builder who coated a wooden nose with black liquid rubber to look like a dogs' nose (Rowlf type). Does anyone else remember this, or have a link to it?

I'd really like to get going on my Rowlf puppet one of these days, but I want his nose to be perfect.

Thanks!
    :)
    Anthony