1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Puppeteer's Resources Links

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by Fozzie Bear, Aug 23, 2005.

1. propologist

propologist Member

Hi Staceyrebecca,
    Go look again. The yellow one is the largest I have made so far, And yes that is 18 1/2 inches long

2. staceyrebecca

staceyrebecca Active Member

at that point, its not so much an eye as a pregnancy belly ;)

(just imagine all the cute little puppets inside!)

3. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Thanks for helping us all, Propologist! (Hope all things are going well for you!)

4. Blinky_Fish

Blinky_Fish Member

Does anyone here use hot wire to carve polyfoam for puppets? Just looking for some pointers.

5. staceyrebecca

staceyrebecca Active Member

Buck Beaver had posted not too long ago that cutting polyfoam with any sort of heat device will give off toxic fumes...so...dont?

At JoAnn Fabrics they use an electric Knife. At home I use scissors.

6. Teenager's

Teenager's Member

yea....I've done it....it smells really bad (actually kind of sweet) and a lot of smoke comes from it.---if you were to do it, do it outside and with a respirator.----I've done it in my closed off puppet room in my basement with the door closed & no windows.....you can stand it....but it isn't fun afterwards....

but on the upside it's definitely easy & fast---and I'd probably do it again---but outside with a respirator.

7. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Well-Known Member

I hate to be the nag here, but I have to emphasize DO NOT cut foam with a hot wire indoors or without a respirator. Even if you can "stand it" the fumes are toxic and potentially cancer-causing. I know puppet builders and other artists who didn't take safety precautions when they were younger and now have a variety of low grade health problems and weakened immune systems that they attribute to exposure to various chemicals.

8. Blinky_Fish

Blinky_Fish Member

mmm... Toxic

About the Hot wire - I do have a vent system in my workshop. (I am so SMRT) I was more intersted in the result of carving with a 45 PPI foam. Seems like there would be a lot of collapse in the cells. Just wanted to know if results were better than cutting with blades - Just looking for a better way to give my designs life.:D

9. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Well-Known Member

For small projects I would be surprised if you could carve foam more accurately with a hot wire than a blade, but then I haven't done much carving. The hot wires are very good (and fast) for doing rough cuts on large blocks. Once foam gets thicker than 1" I have always found it difficult to cut without a hot wire or one of those electric cutters.

10. BenjaminaGunn

BenjaminaGunn New Member

Wacky Stacks.....

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum. I love seeing what you all have to say and I hope to contribute my own pics and such to the forum very soon.

The reason I am posting is because I read about how Muppet eyes were made of "Wacky Stacks" and how they were nearly impossible to find these days....well, I think I might have found some. Can anyone tell me if this is the right thing?
    [​IMG]

Thanks for your help!:D

11. Fozzie Bear

Those aren't the 'correct' things, but you can still use them!

The neat thing about puppet construction is how you can use ANYTHING to make it. So, it's still a valuable resource.

12. dandy97

dandy97 New Member

13. Slightlychilled

Slightlychilled New Member

you can use what ever foam you like. thats the best part of this hobby.....

14. DERogers

DERogers New Member

The best way I've found to cut foam is with an electric carving knife. It has two blades that move back and forth and makes a very smooth cut. I've found them at yard sales and thrift stores. I seldom pay more than a couple of dollars for them.

As to the kind of foam to use for puppet making, use whatever you can get. For a long while I was hung up trying to get specific kinds of foam because some folks say you shouldn't use poly foam. I finally said phooey on that. I agree that other kinds may be better for longevity but when you are starting out building puppets you just want to get something made.

I went to the local Army Navy store and bought a HUGE bag of scrap poly foam for $20. It's lasting me a long time. I'm experimenting with a lot of different puppet ideas and I don't mind using a lot of this foam because I didn't pay much for it.

15. propologist

propologist Member

Hi Guys and Gals,

So this has been asked before, but here it is again.
    What puppet making supplies would you like to see being offered?
    Sets of eyes
    Raw uncut sheets of eyes
    Vacumformed under skulls and body's
    Pre-made foam noses
    Pre-made foam arms and bodies, etc. etc.
    I have had many people ask me were they could find some of these things.
    I am making things like this all the time and so are others here like Terry Angus, ProjectPuppets, Puppet Planet and many others.
    So If you need some thing contact one of them. They will be more than happy to help you out.

Just trying to help,

Propologist
    Mike

16. Fozzie Bear

Thanks for the info, Mike. I've been trying to find some kind of tutorials because I want to make the vaccuformed eyes for Muley and gang--but, obviously not hard enough, huh? It's the internet--I can find anything there, right?

17. CoOKiE

CoOKiE Member

i suggest this thread be remade... if possible... maybe a mod can erase the first post and have a colaberation of all tips and ideas... which would make it easier for someone like me looking for something and having to look in all these pages, to not find what i wanted...

ALSO... the first page has ALOT of links which no longer work.

I'm woundering, instead of making a thread, does someone have a working site that sells noses or how to make specific noses? I'm interested in the Grover, Bert, Homer Honker eggish looking foam balls. I'd imagin that i'd have to carve it myself, which would be a pain... however i own an electric cutting knife for foam.

Thanks

18. Show and Tell

Show and Tell Member

This is the most valuable thread I've seen in a long time!

19. Fozzie Bear

Heya, Propologist,

Are you planning to make eyes available? If you do, let me know and I'll endorse your product!

20. drmolarmagic

drmolarmagic New Member

Hi All...
    I need a resource for raccoon fur.....
    Any helpful links?
    Thanks