Questions about anything

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Do shows that continually do new episodes all year round (talk shows, news shows, soap operas) group their shows into "seasons"? Because if they don't take a break from new episodes than how would they really determine when a season ends or begins?
Growing up, the way things used to work, as far as the networks were concerned, seasons generally started the first or second week in September. I remember when the 3 networks (CBS, NBC, ABC) would introduce their new Saturday morning cartoon line-ups with specials the Friday night before. And the following Sunday night would start the new season for their prime-time shows. But things aren't that simple anymore.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
No they're not that simple anymore.

You've got the regular TV season that starts in September and ends in May; then you've got "mid-season" replacements that start anywhere between January and April and usually run through the summer; THEN you've got summer replacements that usually start May or June and run up to September...

Then, you've got all these "sweeps" months where big events are supposed to happen, thus, TV shows have to get exciting or interesting to bring the viewers in, and apparently those are like every quarter or something.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
How can, and since when were landline phones obsolete? Pay phones I can understand, but how can landline phones be obsolete? Cell phones and such aside, how can you get in touch with residential places, or places of business? Or what about 911? Toll free numbers and crap like that?

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Landlines are not obsolete just yet, but they're definitely heading that way. The phone companies still print out phone books, but now they're just business Yellow Pages.
Residential White Pages seems to have beaten landlines to the grave. So I guess you have to resort to whitepages.com.

But some old people have been slow to embrace any new technology. My mother-in-law, still has... a ROTARY PHONE. And she ain't parting with it any time soon.
Maybe for Christmas we'll get her something really cutting-edge, like a Princess phone!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Landlines are not obsolete just yet, but they're definitely heading that way.
Well, I thought it was strange that landline was named one of the top 12 OBSOLETE items that people still use today...

I mean things like dial-up (sorry Sarge), pagers, pay phones, fax machines, blank VHS tapes, and records make sense, but not landline phones (then again, I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around the fact that apparently there's people out there who are still operating on Windows 98).

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I don't have dial up anymore. We've had high speed for over a year now :/

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Why is the classic and age-old prank of taping the sprayer at the kitchen sink now considered "cruel" and "mean-spirited"?