regular figures...mega sized...what about minis?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I don't think that all of these figures are pointed at the same buyer necessarily. Some people would prefer to buy larger characters and some mini PVCs. I don't think it will negatively effect the regular line, but it is some cause for concern. That's why there need to be differences in each version. The mega figures will have more articulation and possibly rooted hair, the the minis will be all new sculpts with mini set pieces such as arches, and the regular line will be the standard. There really is room for all these types of products, but it there is not, I'm sure Palisades will discontinue the megas and minis before they would touch the regular 6 inch assortment. Bad idea? I think the only bad idea would be not exploring other territories. This does bring me to what kinds of other non-figure products they could make. Ornaments? Alarm clocks? I started a thread a few days ago on this very subject. Maybe their diversifying needs to be more diverse.

Luke

Reaction score
Mini's would have nowhere near an effect on the regular line like the Megas would. The Megas are exact replicas more or less - they are still pretty much associated with the regular line.

The pop culture kids (20's to 30's) are much more into proper action figures that articulate all over and do cool stuff (like talk and interact - which is a sore point with the Palisades figs cos they do neither). While the mini's will appeal to Muppet fans also into the regular figures, it probably won't attract as many hardcore figure collectors as the other lines. In place of that will be a new consumer base of young kids and older adults (30-35'ish) as well as those on a lower budget if Palisades can get the price point right.

I agree that Palisades could quite easily broaden their horizons into other areas but at the same time, i don't think we as the fans should just be thinking about suggesting things to Palisades (sometimes i think this place has turned into 'Muppet Central Sponsored By Palisades'). Obviously i can understand that because Ken is more visible here, it seems like he is the only one who's watching, but there's just as likely to be someone from Sideshow or Henson reading too - so if anyone has ANY ideas they'd like to share not specifically geared to Palisades then it's cool to mention it also.

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Back a few years ago I bought a set of 13 SS PVCc for $19.99. I am pretty happy with that price point, and the quality of them seems fine as well. Serious collectors could still add them to their collection without using up a lot of their "Muppet budget", yet it would also open the door for cheapskates who could only be talked into figures by getting a *lot* for a *little*. Just my opinion, of course.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jes,

That is a great set! Thanks for bringing them up.

Those figures are a little big though for PVC's don't you think. Or are those about the size of the Classic Muppet figures you were wanting?

Two different versions of the sets were released of the Sesame figures. Many characters were the same, a few were different in each set. For example, did you get the one with Snuffleupagus or did yours include the Two-Headed Monster?

GWGumby

Reaction score
There were two really cool mini PVC collections of Nightmare Before Christmas with 10 figures each that were selling for about $40 each at one time. I was only able to get one because of the high price.

I think these figures (with no articulation) are really great, but I wished that they would have been available in smaller packs for a smaller price. I'm sure if they had been, I would have ended up buying more at staggered intervals and ultimately paying more than just the $40 for the one set.

FellowWLover

Reaction score
My set had Snuffie in it. (Cory just mentioned the two-headed monster set, but I am not familiar with it.) I *think* I got it at Sesame Place, but they also sold at other places.

I think they are a good size actually... they really are not that big. Snuffie is bigger than the rest of course, but he was pitched as a "bonus figure" (the box said "Set of 12 and a Bonus). The representation of figures in different poses is nice too. In fact, that set is *exactly* what I was thinking of when I rallied behind the idea of Muppet minis.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jes,

Thanks for the info!

The set you purchased was only available at K-Mart originally if i remember correctly. So it's likely Sesame Place got the "extras" that were left after that promotion. They were originally released in the Spring of 1998.

FellowWLover

Reaction score
I don't know how Sesame Place got them, but they often carry the same lines as KMart at some of the shops inside the park. Of course they have tons of other stuff too, as well as strictly "Sesame Place" merchandise.

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
nate, youre too much! LOL YEah, a ninja skeletor...yeeeagegegag.
Hey Cory,

I forgot to mention, before you scoff at that new Masters Of The Universe animation project, you should probably make yourself a little better informed. The whole thing is now anime influenced, and based on something called 'Ninja Scrolls' - it's totally different than before. Seeing as you have been going on about Anime and asking Ken about it a lot you probably oughta check out the MOTU promo clips because it's very anime in style.

radionate

Reaction score
Originally posted by Louis Kazagger
Here's another example of low priced pvc figs. I went to my local comic shop this weekend, and they had the Rudolph "The Island of Misfit Toys" PVC sets for $20.00. There are twelve figures in the set, they look like pretty detailed sculpts with multiple paint applications.
Actually, one reason why these were so resonable is because the molds were created and used earlier from a different company (it might have be playing mantis, but I'm not sure). CVS Pharmacy had a big rudolph thing a few years ago, and these figures were released there as keychains and other things. They all came from the same mold, they just drilled a little keychain into them. That might be why the whole set was more resonable, as there wasn't much money put into the pre production of the figures.