regular figures...mega sized...what about minis?

Louis Kazagger

Reaction score
Here's another example of low priced pvc figs. I went to my local comic shop this weekend, and they had the Rudolph "The Island of Misfit Toys" PVC sets for $20.00. There are twelve figures in the set, they look like pretty detailed sculpts with multiple paint applications. So, judging from that, if Playing Mantis can do it, it looks like a decent priced PVC set should be doable. Here's what they look like.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1755486265

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Here is the direct quote from Ken's post. I think he wants to make something much more high quality and have different themes TMS being only one of them. That's what I gathered from it. The Simpsons do not have as many textures and paint detailing as the Muppets would need. It's about quality. The ebay listing just posted seems cool but nothing near what Ken seems to be proposing.

Originally posted by ResidentLilly
Here's a question. Why the assumption that a set of mini-figures would be cheaper than a Mega Muppet or a Playset? Maybe a simpler line like Simpson's, with the less complicated sculpts and simpler paint jobs can carry that, but I doubt it for Muppets.

If we were to do a set of, say, six mini PVC figurines, you would want them to be detailed right? Far better than anything that had come before...textures, good paints and all that. So, taking that into account, and comparing it to other lower volume, higher detailed PVC sets like the ones from DC Direct or Dark Horse or the like, you might be looking at a 24.99-29.99 retail price. That factors in complicated sculpts that require more than a 2-part mold to make, extra parts and details and multiple spray masks for detailed paint jobs.

Not sure what the Simpson's line in the smalls is running these days, but the most recent PVC sets I have bought were Danger Girl and Hellboy and Justice Society. These had a real high level of quality. Granted they were specialty market only but you might have to go there with Muppets because of the fact that there is no guarantee TRU would take them, as the PVC set is a difficult sell in a lot of cases, particularly to them with no tie-in.

If we WERE to do a line of smaller figures, on a personal note I would expect them to be new sculpts, not rehashes of the existing figures. That works on a MEGA line, but not on a PVC line. And I also, and this is just my opinion here, would dig on themed packs like the current Simpson's. Plus with a multi-pack there is the theory that you could go WAY more obscure with some of the characters. By packing a Kermit or Gonzo in a pack of six figurines you can get away with putting a Mahna Mahna in there because from a marketing perspective you will have a character or two in there that the non hardcore will recognize and the hardcore will really want to see made, but who would probably not be able to carry his own figure. You know what else would be cool? Arch display stands. Mount on the wall or stackable...that would be cool to me. I imagine a wall full of Muppets, stretching as far as the eye can see...in arches, now THAT might be nifty.

Contrary to popular belief, bigger doesn't always mean better!

FellowWLover

Reaction score
It's about quality. The ebay listing just posted seems cool but nothing near what Ken seems to be proposing.
That is all fine, as long as they realize that if they are too expensive, *some* people will not buy them... high quality or not. I personally think it would be smart to throw in a lower-end product which offers variety without breaking the bank. Not every fan is a collector willing to spend a load of cash on luxury items.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I do see your point and agree with you here. We already have the very high-end megas and 6 inch regular assortment. I really don't think they should break the $19.99 barrier for the minis. I'll buy them either way but others may not. The minis really should be the most accessible product of the line in my opinion. All that is really necessary is a pack of simple PVCs with maybe some mild texturing and articulation. I really wouldn't mind if they weren't articulated at all.

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
I do see your point and agree with you here. We already have the very high-end megas and 6 inch regular assortment. I really don't think they should break the $19.99 barrier for the minis. I'll buy them either way but others may not. The minis really should be the most accessible product of the line in my opinion. All that is really necessary is a pack of simple PVCs with maybe some mild texturing and articulation. I really wouldn't mind if they weren't articulated at all.
I agree with you totally Mr Vier - but i do think they need articulation otherwise in this year of the 'mini' action figure (rather than PVC) they will get sneered at. I think $19.99 is WAY too expensive - these need to be budget - good quality but no need to be works of art. The simpsons have shown theres plenty you can do for $10 and i'm sure Palisades could improve. I think Ken's way too much of a perfectionist though and would be in danger of pricing himself out of the market. I'd like to see a $12 price point at most - whatever magic Kenneth could perform for that price would be fine by me !!!!!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I just don't see these figures priced much under $20. Lets not forget that the Simpsons (while they are quality product) are incredibly simple when it comes to texture, paint and need for articulation. The Muppets are also a smaller market these days. I just doubt they wiil be able to get this high quality you prefer and keep costs to $10. That seems asking quite a lot for a 6 pack at least, and I do think 6 is the right number for each assortment.

From what I have seen in toy shops these days a $20 price tag is not outrageous in the least. But anything over that would probably not be the best idea. If the tag means they will have a limited release so be it. It would help control profits and success of the line. I was actually amazed that the regular figures were so inexpensive for Muppet product!

Luke

Reaction score
Hey Jamie,

Yup $20 is fine for six. I kinda was thinking they could pack less figures than that so they had the extra budget to do higher quality toys than the Simpsons but sell for just a tiny little bit more (like say $12 for four). I don't particularly feel the need to have as many as six in a set - two big guns and two obscures would be fine for me just like the regular line.

I feel that a $20 pack would restric sales a bit - i know there are more things to life than the Simpons but the popularity of the Playmates ones does seem to be hinged on the themes and the economical price. Also with 3 lines out there, i think fewer fans would spend $20 on a set of mini's when there is a large scale playset out there for the same price.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
You have a point there, but I do think that there is an entirely different market attracted to minis other than collectors and I don't think Ken expects everybody to buy every size. $20 is a bit restrictive, but in today's market it really isn't outrageous. It's a little over 3 bucks a figure and I certainly have seen individual small collectibles of much less articulation priced similarly. I guess we really have to see what they are offering. I hope they keep it to 6 per pack. Less would likely mean fewer mini characters being made total and I am sure many fans would object to that. Lets say there are 5 waves of 4 - that would mean only 20 characters. That would barely cover the expected characters much less any obscure ones. Having 5 sets of 6 still leaves many out. :smile:

Lorde Pompeo

Reaction score
I have a doubt:

Isn't producing Mini-Muppets and placing them in the market at the same time as the Regular Muppets going to damage the continuity of the Regular line?

What I mean is, if non-colectors can buy four Mini-Muppets for the same price as Regular one, they will obviously choose the four Mini-Muppets, so the Regular line's (which no matter what will be better given the detail and articulation) sales will fall drasticaly...

Won't this compromise the continuity of the Regular line? I know that the possibilities are greater with the Mini-Muppets (I would love to have a Witch-Doctor, a Pink Nurse, a Blue Nurse, a Pacient Kermit and a Hospital Bed) but if producing them means the unavoidable (does this word exist?) death of the Regular line, I vote for NO...

Even the idea of Mega-Muppets was a bad one, in my opinion... They will be way too expensive and will take buyers away from the Regular Figures...

If the market gets filled with three kinds of Muppet Figures sooner or later none of the lines will meet sales goals that make continuity worth it... The Mega and the Mini lines will steal buyers from the Regular line and that can be very bad news...

I don't understand much about this but this is the way I see things and I don't like it...

I give a big NO to Mini-Muppets...

However, if my vision of things is not correct and there's no chance the Mini-Muppets will "kill" the Regular ones, I will support them... I just can't see how that's possible...

Thank you!