1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Remembering Jerry Nelson (July 10, 1934-August 23, 2012)

Discussion in 'Henson People' started by Oscarfan, Aug 23, 2012.

1. maniacal muppet

maniacal muppet Active Member

So sad to hear the news. Glad I met him at Carnegie Hall. Such a cool guy.
    Fraggline and Tomservo95 like this.
  2. MuppetGuy75

MuppetGuy75 Active Member

I am so sad to hear about this!! He was so talented and such a great performer. Even though many of his characters have new voices it's still sad to know that another Muppet performer's voice has been silenced. :( RIP Jerry :sing:
  3. Pinkflower7783

Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

But at least now he can perform those characters again...I'm sure Jim and Richard were happy to see him when he arrived in heaven. And he's with Christine again too. RIP Jerry Nelson.
    MJTaylor and Fraggline like this.
  4. ploobis

ploobis Well-Known Member

Here's a video clip I just discovered and It's also appropriate in remembering Jerry
  5. Pinkflower7783

6. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

Sad to see the passing of another Muppet vet...but not an unexpected one. I take comfort that Jerry had a long and full life and that given his declining health over the years, both Jerry and his friends/colleagues/family have had ample time to adjust and prepare both emotionally and artistically, getting everything into place for his characters to still live on.

And Jim has another bridge partner in Heaven (or whatever the hip happening game is up there)
  7. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Well-Known Member

Such awful, awful news. We've truly lost one of the greats. Didn't really know what to say about this tonight although I managed to write something up quickly:

Rest in Peace Jerry Nelson (1934-2012)

If anyone else is writing posts on their own sites/blogs I would love to know about it and add the link(s) to my own.
  8. Pinkflower7783

So once reality finally set in I literally broke down and cried for an hour. Which I have a feeling over the next several days that's probably what I'm gonna be doing. I personally was not prepared for this news despite his declining health. I don't think your ever prepared to hear someone passing no matter how ready you think you are. I was only 7 years old when Jim past away so I didn't really understand death nor really knew who he was. But now hearing Jerry is gone I wish I was that 7 year old again who didn't understand. :cry:
  9. aaronmojo

aaronmojo Member

What a shame. These guys, even though Jim Henson and Richard Hunt are gone, you still want to think the rest of them will be around forever.

Wherever he is, may he be in peace. He'll forever be part of my childhood that I was glad to have around in adulthood.
  10. Vincent Liu

Vincent Liu Well-Known Member

Goodbye, my favorite Muppeteer :cry:
  11. Pinkflower7783

The Muppets live forever but unfortunately the ones behind them don't...but I think they will live on forever in spirit. I just think of how Jerry is more alive now then ever before. No more oxygen or wheel chair. Now he can walk and do the things that he did back in the good ole Muppet Show, Fraggle Rock, and Sesame Street days. I'm sure Jim had his characters all ready for him when he got there. Now he can perform the characters that his health wouldn't let him do here. :sing::cool::smirk::batty:
  12. aaronmojo

aaronmojo Member

Buck I just read your write up. Great job.

I didn't realize Jerry Nelson's health had declined to the extent that he was in a wheelchair or on oxygen. I'm glad all that's behind him now. What a long, fantastic career he had. He was so good at what he did. He didn't play those characters, he became those characters, and I think that's the highest praise you can give him, as a performer. The thing wasn't a puppet being operated by a puppeteer - it was alive, with its own voice and mannerisms and everything.

I dunno, I'm just sorry he's gone.
  13. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

No no I just No!! I'm so sad right now i'm holding back the tears as I type. I will miss you Mr. Nelson
    you helped teach me to count!
  14. Pinkflower7783

Jerry Nelson quotes:

"Each one of them is an aspect of my own personality. The Muppets are roles I assume, rather than puppets I manipulate. Robin, for instance, is an undersized metaphor for my own insecurities. He has a childlike curiosity about how things work. Uncle Deadly is the greatest ham actor of all time; Floyd is my laid-back, mellow side -- cool. And then there's Crazy Harry, whose ultimate trip is spontaneous combustion. An analyst told me I should develop that side of my personality. I don't think he meant I should go around exploding everything -- just that I should give my emotions more freedom."

"I feel blessed to have worked on something that has become such an icon of the times. I've certainly always thought I've been really lucky in that respect. I enjoy singing and I get to sing a lot. I get to be in a band (The Electric Mayhem) without really being in a band. All of those things make me say, 'Well, that's one blessing. That's another blessing."
  15. Vincent Liu

16. dwayne1115

he was so well rounded as a prefromer to play so many voices what a talent! let's remember Jerry and our favorit Muppet he helped.
    I will have to say crazy harry I love his laugh!
    Pinkflower7783 likes this.
  17. dwayne1115

Could someone please post Just one person please
  18. Vincent Liu

Both The Muppet Show version and from Jim's memorial service
  19. Vincent Liu

20. Pinkflower7783