1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Remembering Jerry Nelson (July 10, 1934-August 23, 2012)

Discussion in 'Henson People' started by Oscarfan, Aug 23, 2012.

1. MrBloogarFoobly

MrBloogarFoobly Well-Known Member

I was shocked, honestly. Jerry Nelson might not have been a household name, but The Count was.

2. FrackleFan2012

FrackleFan2012 Well-Known Member

According to Matt Vogel's Twitter account, Matt didn't provide the voice for The Count on the last filmed Season 44 episode of Sesame Street.
    https://twitter.com/welcomemattv
    I wonder who voiced him?

3. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone did. His tweet before correcting the notion was hashtagged "AhAhAh", implying the Count was involved somehow.

4. FrackleFan2012

I bet that The Count was featured in this episode. Maybe, he had a speaking role.

5. Yorick

Yorick Active Member

I was watching Muppet Christmas specials recently and was knocked out by Jerry's work, as always. So hilarious or touching, depending what was needed. And I love the singing of all the Muppeteers, but Jerry's THE voice, to me. I am so very thankful that we have his voice recorded in it's many amazing forms, and with all that soul that he put into everything he did!

When I joined this board and read interviews with Jerry, the more interviews I read, the more my respect for Mr. Nelson grew.

I wish that when he was still here, he had seen all this love we've sent him since. But I know that he knew he was very much loved by us from reading some of the messages in a thread made here about him some years ago. But since he seemed to be so humble, I'm sure he'd never have guessed how much of an outpouring there would be. Although we fans aren't surprised by it (because we know he deserves all this love and more!), I think would be. And that's one of the many, many reasons why we loved him, and love him still.:cry:

Along with THAT VOICE.

6. ProboSowa

ProboSowa Member

FrackleFan2012 and theSHE124 like this.
  7. theSHE124

theSHE124 Active Member

Nice video, Proboman! But there's one thing I don't get: outta all these 'Public' (not counting ours) tributes, why should the Count be the most remembered character for Jerry? The website's banner always had Floyd for his annual birthday. I mean, who is his signature character???:confused:

8. FrackleFan2012

I believe that his signature character must be The Count, since he's the most famous character played by Jerry Nelson. I think Sesame Street is more popular than The Muppet Show in my opinion. Sesame Street has been running for 43 years now and The Muppet Show has ran for only 5 years. This explains why more people watched Sesame Street than The Muppet Show. There's also Floyd Pepper from The Muppet Show and Gobo Fraggle from Fraggle Rock but they should deserve more importance, too. News coverages and TV tributes should've shown clips of his characters from The Muppet Show and Fraggle Rock too, not just his characters from Sesame Street.

theSHE124 likes this.
  9. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

I think that one of the beauty of Jerry is that he never had a "signature character." Instead, he had a variety of supporting characters that were always there at the side. I always prefer my potatoes over my meat at dinner, and I think that's how Jerry was. He was on the side, yet you still loved him just as much, if not more. He took whatever he had and made himself stand out.

So I would personally prefer a showcase of more of his characters in public tributes that mention not only the Count, but also Floyd, Robin, maybe Crazy Harry, Julius Strangepork, Lew Zealand, etc.

Skye and theSHE124 like this.
  10. FrackleFan2012

I agree with that too, Hubert.

11. Vincent L

Vincent L Well-Known Member

If I were to make a tribute…well, you can probably imagine how it will turn out. [​IMG]

12. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

In a way, I've often thought about trying my hand at tributes and videos, yet at the same time, knowing me, they'd never get finished.

13. FrackleFan2012

Today, I was watching the "In Memoriam" segment during the end of Weekend Today and they didn't mention Jerry Nelson.

14. MrBloogarFoobly

MrBloogarFoobly Well-Known Member

I know. A lot of places left out Jerry Nelson. Such a shame.

15. FrackleFan2012

Here's a beautiful tribute picture LIFE Magazine released on the final page of "Farewell: Remember the Friends We Lost in 2012". Carroll Spinney did the illustration in this tribute and has incredible words written by the people at LIFE.

[​IMG]

16. theSHE124

theSHE124 Active Member

I've been hearing this in another thread of sorts. Thank you, Frackleman! :dreamy::sigh: Which reminds me, has Caroll's autobiography, "I Am Big Bird", been finished, or are they still working on it? :confused: It's been kinda vague on me...

17. Twisted Tails

Twisted Tails Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing, FrackleFan! I saw this while my mom and I were at the CVS store last month. I was gonna buy it and tell my mom that I want that LIFE magazine so bad. I even had cash. My mom said, "no," and I was crestfallen. Why didn't she understsand that I grew up with Jerry's characters? That is totally unfair.

18. FrackleFan2012

Maybe, "I Am Big Bird" is still in production but will see what Copper Pot Pictures has to say about it.

theSHE124 and Collgoff like this.
  19. FrackleFan2012

Poor mom. I'm sorry that you didn't get that magazine. At least the picture was marvelous.

20. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Such a beautiful tribute drawing by Carroll. I like how rather than just focusing on the Count, the effort was made to showcase his other SST characters as well. And Carroll's letter that they put on their is great.

Once again, I'm a little saddened by the fact that they throw Snuffy's name around as if Jerry played him up to his death, when really he hasn't for years.

Things have been kind of quiet on it recently, I've been under the impression that they're still putting everything together and getting it ready.

theSHE124 likes this.