Respectful Politics Thread (Let's Just See)

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
On another subject:

Honestly, I've said this before, but I've been unfollowing alot of people on Facebook who share nothing but political crap because either A) they come off as biased or B) I don't think they're mature enough to talk about it and then play the victim if you don't agree with their thoughts (it's a very dark subject that you gotta have tough alligator skin for), and you know what it's made me realize?

Facebook and other fun social media sites where you can go and share off cool stuff is NOT the place for politics.

What I've now told myself is, if I want to stay up to date with political stuff so I know what our president has planned next to french toast this country up even more, I'll just look up regular news stuff.

Simple as that. Muppetcentral is the only fun site I don't mind talking about politics on because at least this thread really has been more peaceful minus a few hiccups here and there compared to the Trump thread, America showing its true colors (btw @D'Snowth, never bothered to correct you, but it's "its", not "it's" :wink: ) and the state of the world thread (which I predicted would go down the toilet with my magical predicting powers).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So . . . apparently . . . for some reason, pointing out the fact that Jerry Seinfeld is a Jewish comedian from New York somehow makes me a bigot.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Some idiot on Facebook who seems to think my remark that Andy Griffith is to southerns what Jerry Seinfeld is to New York Jews was racist.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
How can it be racist if it's accurate?
George Carlin and Denis Leary are Irish, Eddie Murphy and Chris Rock are black, Pat Cooper Italian, and Carrot Top is the red-headed stepchild.

There are plenty of slurs to describe Seinfeld (or any of the above), but identifying by nationality does not make one a racist.

Some people are much too quick to label someone else a racist just because they disagree. That's one reason why civil discourse is so limited these days.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah, so would it be racist if I point out Bill Cosby is black? Or sexist if I point out Carol Burnett is a woman? Or religiously insensitve to point out Bob Newhart is Catholic?

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Not at all. It doesn't make anyone racist or sexist until you start dropping the N-bomb to describe a black comic or calling Carol Burnett a dumb broad, or something. Once someone describes someone else in spiteful, derogatory terms, it's over.

But "Bill Cosby is a black comic" does not reinforce any negative stereotype. It's about as obvious as it gets.
But some people need to get out of the way of their own ignorance.