1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Respectful Politics Thread (Let's Just See)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jvcarroll, Apr 13, 2018.

1. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Conservative logic on Facebook today: both 9-11 and that congresswoman calling Trump a motherf*ck3r are Obama's fault.

3. D'Snowth

4. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

I just happened to find a video on Facebook of a bunch of people at a rally (all Trump supporters) chanting “CNN sucks!” I seriously chanted along with it when the video was playing.

5. D'Snowth

6. D'Snowth

So I notice there are certain people out there who are getting offended by that AT&T commercial depicting a gay couple hiring a lesbian babysitter, and dropping their AT&T services because of it. I'm also seeing there are certain men out there who are getting offended by that Gilette commercial, and are going to stop shaving because of it.

So how come nobody is getting offended by the fact that Trump is putting out commercials for his border wall, when that is perhaps a true example of actual propaganda?

7. Old Thunder

Old Thunder Well-Known Member

I’ve been seeing Trump ads for over a year. It’s old news.

LittleJerry92 likes this.
  8. LittleJerry92

Cause you’re not looking hard enough. Simple as that.

9. D'Snowth

Maybe because more than half of my state's population polled support the border wall.

10. MWoO

MWoO Well-Known Member

Because a politician running political ads is to be expected. A razor company running a commercial condeming its key demo is not.

Personally, I havent used Gilette in a long time. I switched to Dollar Shave club which is much cheaper. It had nothing to do with politics, they are just cheaper and decent quality. I think Gilette made this ad for attention to try and get market share back. Dollar Shave Club and Harry's are all over YouTube and social media gaining market share. Gilette is over priced and cant compete. So, they make a commercial that they know will get them attention, both negative and positive. Regardless of how you feel about the commercial, everyone is talking about Gilette.

This is an example of an out of touch company exec that thinks they can market social justice. Almost every time a company does something like this there is backlash from people. No one wants your over priced razots, Gilette. No one cares what a razor company has to say about how terrible men are.

Imagine if they did this with women. A commercial where a woman is gossiping about other women and saying terrible things, a woman is pushing the check over to the guy in a restaurant and having him pay, a woman is making a guy do heavy lifting without helping, a woman is psycologically torturing other women online and making them kill themselves. You know, any negative female stereotyoe you can think of. Then it ends telling women they can be better and to police each others actions. You would get the same kind of uproar.

As people we can all be better. Ive hewrd women say some real mean stuff. Ive seen men be sexist (I just witnessed it a little at work actually and i refused to participate in the banter). There are crappy men and crappy women and we shouldnt blame "toxic masculinity" or " toxic feminism".

11. D'Snowth

12. Old Thunder

13. D'Snowth

The incident kind of reminds me of a similar incident several years ago where kids on a school bus were verbally harassing an elderly bus monitor, driving her to tears. As I recall, she only received one apology from a parent on behind of his kid, and that's it . . . and I don't believe she accepted the apology either, since it obviously didn't come directly from the kid, who was probably hiding in fear of being in trouble.

14. D'Snowth

I makez a n00 meme!

[​IMG]

15. D'Snowth

16. MuppetsRule

MuppetsRule Well-Known Member

17. LittleJerry92

Can actually agree with this.

[​IMG]

18. D'Snowth

Not surprising, that story from yesterday is now being twisted into two completely different version, both of which paints one as the victim and the other as the bully:

One version, as linked, says that the MAGA students mobbed up on the Native and chanted "Build that wall" at him.

The other version says that the Native singled out and confronted one specific student who was minding his own business, and the rest of the students were coming to his defense.

19. MuppetsRule

MuppetsRule Well-Known Member

I was just watching the nearly 2-hour full version of what happened. I wouldn't use the word twisted. Neither side is the victim or the bully. Nor are the kids innocent of some truly borish behavior. The full video though does highlight what I've said here many times. There are 3 sides to every story. There is the Native American gentleman's side. There is the group of kids side. And then there is the truth, which lies somewhere in the middle. Take time to seek the truth. Neither version that you posted is the truth.

It does highlight the mainstream media's and social media's bias though. Just because the kids were wearing MAGA hats and shirts, they were quickly vilified and the short clip went viral, before all the facts were in. Nobody took the time to seek the whole truth first.

20. Old Thunder

So what is the truth?