Respectful Politics Thread (Let's Just See)

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I thought this was funny. As much as the GOP has embraced evangelicals and the other way around, I thought atoning for things and asking forgiveness was a Christian value. Or is it just one when it comes to denying LGBTQ individuals dignity and equality? Hmmfph. Still, very funny. I've always liked McCain. Just not his politics.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Oh look, nice and safe Christian bashing, that so rarely happens, lol.

I've always liked McCain. Just not his politics.
I think that's the difference between you and me (and me and a lot of people to be fair). I cringe at language like "I like/dislike his politics." I can never see myself becoming any kind of political animal. Reducing people to "their politics." Like I said a few posts back, politics just seems to bring out the worst in people. It's not us. Or it shouldn't be. At least, it's not me.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Lol, because it's the only issue that gets this kind of reaction here.

Again, the only issue that gets that kind of reaction here.

We are in no position to know that. Just as we didn't know how many voters didn't want to admit voting for Trump.

I'll settle for a nuanced idea, but even that is beyond both parties.

As is the official Democrat platform.

I'm not laughing.
That, again, makes a lot of assumptions. Along with the usual electronic correspondence, I speak to at least a half dozen conservatives about everything from LGBTQ rights, to Trump, and even anti/pro choice issues every week and they're not all the same people. I'm a busy guy, but for some reason - people feel the need to speak with me and feel no boundaries when doing so. This is where I get much of my information. Not tv pundits, social media personalities or editorials. People of all stations of life that I encounter. How often do y'all here share what you'd say here with other people IRL? It's can be hella scary and I don't recommend it for everyone. Plus, there will always be positions that people hide due to social pleasantries, but man, the unlikely things I've heard from the most unlikely people. It has really enriched my life in amazing ways. That's what I find depressing about social media. It's a tool like anything else. Like a hammer, it can be used to build bridges or to swing at people. 90% of my social media experience is rather pleasant, but much less so than IRL, and I get so much more out of my in person encounters.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
and even anti/pro choice
Do not call people anti choice, please. If I call you pro choice, and not pro abortion, you can call me pro life.

How often do y'all here share what you'd say here with other people IRL?
I'll be blunt. With my conservative friends, we can disagree about a lot. With my liberal friends, I have to pause before disagreeing, and decide whether it's worth the fuss.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Oh look, nice and safe Christian bashing, that so rarely happens, lol.

I think that's the difference between you and me (and me and a lot of people to be fair). I cringe at language like "I like/dislike his politics." I can never see myself becoming any kind of political animal. Reducing people to "their politics." Like I said a few posts back, politics just seems to bring out the worst in people. It's not us. Or it shouldn't be. At least, it's not me.
Mentioning the politics of a politician is somehow not politically correct? Does not compute. Mentioning the religious practices of those who'd wish to limit my personal freedoms based on their religion is an attack? I think the President has somehow warped the minds of the nation about bullies and bullying. I'm perplexed by this.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Most of my real life liberal friends we can learn to agree to disagree, same with conservatives. The ones who get fussy about it aren't welcome in my life.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Do not call people anti choice, please. If I call you pro choice, and not pro abortion, you can call me pro life.

I'll be blunt. With my conservative friends, we can disagree about a lot. With my liberal friends, I have to pause before disagreeing, and decide whether it's worth the fuss.
I' tend to rotate my language when talking about issues. Check previous statements and you'll see I've used the term pro-life. But, fair enough in this situation.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
"The abortion thing again."

Lol, because it's the only issue that gets this kind of reaction here.

"While I'm done commenting on anything regarding that, as my thoughts on the issue have already been expressed."

Again, the only issue that gets that kind of reaction here
This is where it seems that you're trying to incite a reaction rather than discuss the issues. I could be wrong, but I'm not sure how you'd react if I made a same sort of statement. I guess this is where I should have bowed out for the day and return later in the week. I'm all for getting a laugh, talking about the issues, and connecting with people of differing and opposing politics. Instigation, not so much. That's kind of what I wanted this thread to get away from. I hope the intent is to respectfully discuss issues and not to illicit extreme reactions. I could be reading that wrong. I really could. But I'm choosing to be cautious here. Off to work. Frog Bless Us, Everyone.