1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

Retro Commercials--What's the Attraction?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by heralde, Mar 27, 2008.

1. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

I'm glad one commercial is gone: Popeye sponsoring Quaker Oats' Oatmeal (He even says, "Can the spinach"! *gasp*).

2. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

The horror :confused:!

3. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

4. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I sort of remember that :confused:

5. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

I do remember it & it upset me as a loyal Popeye fan.

6. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I miss the old Chester Cheetah, the voice for the new one is creepy :confused:
    I also miss the Cool Spot that use to be in ads for 7 up and got his own video game (it was fun to :) )

7. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Was that the guy from Parker Lewis in the Reeses ad?

8. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Could be.

9. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

I think it is.

10. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Cool.

11. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be the first time Check this out... of course, in this one he condones spinache eating, and even scolds the audience for not eating enough.

And some more Popeye ads...

Japanese Famicom commercial featuring Popeye game

1990's Brazilian Soup add

Popeye Soaky

Popeye and Bluto giving up their differences for some Minute Maid OJ

Popeye PSA

12. bazooka_beak

bazooka_beak Active Member

Do they still air "Whatchamacallit" candy bar commercials, or did that bar die out years ago? I know I remember that existed, I think we even have it on tape from the 80s or early 90s somewhere.

13. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Whatchamacallit is still made but I don't see ads anymore:sympathy:

14. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Yeah! They have those fake five commercials out, though.

15. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Just thought of this thread again, I found this '80s Christmas commercial on Stetson Cologne. The song was always playing when I was younger; one of those commercial jingles that sounded very important and classic, yet it was advertising something quite trivial, hehe.

Still, as someone on the Web said, the fact that so many people still think about these ads says something. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT0qpYdIXLw

16. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

You know? The funny thing about this commercial is I remmeber the jingle better then I do the product it was advertising.

17. heralde

You know I didn't even know the commercial was about cologne until I found this clip! :insatiable:

Even worse, as a kid I couldn't make out what they were saying ("Which is "easy for you...Stetson makes it easy for you"). I thought they were speaking a different language or something, lol. :halo:

18. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

That is really interesting! Funny thing is I didn't really now what they were saying, but I could could instantly recognize the jingle! Strange how things work like that somtimes. :confused:

19. bazooka_beak

bazooka_beak Active Member

Hey, I know that commercial! Interesting that I did actually understand what they were saying at the time ("Easy for you").

20. heralde

Actually now that I think about it, I had that problem a lot as a kid, lol. Sometimes song lyrics just bunched up in my head and my mind translated them as pleasant sounding gibbrish. ::shrugs:: lol