Retro Commercials--What's the Attraction?

snichols1973

Reaction score
Snap, Crackle, and Pop usurped his position and are now apparently the spokescharacters for every Krispie brand of cereal. The cereal exists, but under a new name...Choco-Krispies or something like that. :big_grin: One commercial had kids unlock a secret to some mine & when the Snap, Crackle, and Pop figures were alligned just right, the trove of chocolate cereal was unleashed. :smile:

This website contains a rather comprehensive list of cereal mascots from the past:

http://www.lavasurfer.com/cereal-guide.html

These rare ad spots featuring the Flintstones are no longer being aired due to an obvious reason, and nowadays the "Rise and Shine" opening sequence and closing credits from the first two seasons (1960-1962) have been restored (minus the Winston references) in contrast to the days when syndicated episodes featured the "Meet the Flintstones" segments in its place:

3 Flintstones Winston Cigarettes Commercials - YouTube

snichols1973

Reaction score
Nowadays, it seems like quite a percentage of TV ads today feature such products as Website spots, auto insurance, et al.

As for commercial breaks, it seems like they used to run for about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, now the ad breaks seem to have an average length of 2 1/2 to 3 minutes, if not longer....

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
I think it's a mix between the nostalgia factor and the cheesiness of some retro commercials (well, okay, most of them.

Drtooth

Reaction score
These rare ad spots featuring the Flintstones are no longer being aired due to an obvious reason, and nowadays the "Rise and Shine" opening sequence and closing credits from the first two seasons (1960-1962) have been restored (minus the Winston references) in contrast to the days when syndicated episodes featured the "Meet the Flintstones" segments in its place:
To clear up a misconception, the Winston ads weren't pulled by the government, but rather by Winston themselves for showing the hedonistic and unwholesome act of having a woman be pregnant.

Absolutely stupid, no?

I think it's a mix between the nostalgia factor and the cheesiness of some retro commercials (well, okay, most of them.
I take it this way. Retro commercials don't feature Max from Blue Tax. That makes them works of art, if you ask me. If I have to sit through that freaking homunculus and his freaking tax scam during retro TV shows and Inspector Gadget one more freaking time...

robodog

Reaction score
Agreed. Max is one creepy little mutant. I think if you go into a darkened bathroom at the stroke of midnight and chant his name three times he'll emerge from the mirror and try to eat your face.

Drtooth

Reaction score
And his new commercial has a lovely little cheap political potshot/Libertarian paranoia fuel about how you "can look forward to 4 more years of heavy taxing." He's not just an epileptic CGI nightmare, but a jerkanus too.

But yeah... Retro Commercials have a nice bit of camp to them that make them unintentionally funny. Not to mention breakout catchphrases that everyone drilled into everyone's heads so hard that we don't even remember what they're from anymore.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Not to mention breakout catchphrases that everyone drilled into everyone's heads so hard that we don't even remember what they're from anymore.
I remember when I first noticed Folgers airing only part of their slogan ("The best part of waking up...") because they were confident the audience would automatically finish it in their heads, lol.

snichols1973

Reaction score
Wouldn't be the first time Check this out... of course, in this one he condones spinache eating, and even scolds the audience for not eating enough.

And some more Popeye ads...

Popeye and Bluto giving up their differences for some Minute Maid OJ
The Popeye and Bluto Minute Maid ad, which was produced by the Leo Burnett Co., showed Popeye and Bluto as enjoying a glass of Minute Maid OJ, which came under criticism by Robert Knight of the Culture and Family Institute, who erroneously accused Popeye and Bluto of being more than "just friends", which is about as ridiculous as accusing Abbott & Costello, the Three Stooges, etc., of being gay, which is obviously not the case, and I find such notions to be totally absurd and in no way support any such theories.

Meanwhile, cartoons such as "Fightin' Pals" show that Popeye and Bluto can be good buddies once in a while, even when they happen to have a sparring session for old times' sake:

Popeye The Sailor 084 - Fightin' Pals - YouTube