Retro Commercials--What's the Attraction?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Sometimes if the commercial was part of something I taped I automatically associate it with a feeling, like Christmas, and it makes me happy.
Yup, that's why people post Christmas commercial breaks on youtube without the actual Christmas special, hehe. You know what it is? You can watch the old Christmas specials on DVD by themselves and it's great. But something's missing, the whole atmosphere you associate with the memory of enjoying those specials. You don't feel entirely taken back in time. The retro commercials allow that to happen.

I used to have the original 1995 airing of Beatles Anthology I on tape. But once I got the official VHS release, I foolishly taped it over, thinking I didn't need it anymore. But I eventually realized it just wasn't the same. As much as I enjoyed the official release, it entirely take me back to that exciting moment in 1995.

Then one time I was visiting The Paley Center for Media (formerly The Museum of TV and Radio) and discovered they had the original airing in their archives--with the commercials! My friend didn't quite get my excitment, saying "Oh well we can always fast forward through them." But that's the only reason I wanted to view it, to be taken back in time to an important moment. :smile:

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
^ Yeah, even though I have the DVD of A Christmas Toy, I only watch the version my dad taped in the 80s. I NEED to have those Kraft commercials and such with it or it's just NOT THE SAME :smile:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Oh yeah, these Kraft commercials, hehe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wUtjDd3jEQ&feature=PlayList&p=B1BDD7ADE9263714&index=0

Very unusual for a special to have such a concentrated commercial time slot with virtually no other products. And this seriously makes me hungry, lol. And I love how you could find the recipes in the TV Guide, lol.

Perhaps the most sought after Christmas commercial of recent decades was "Peter Comes Home for Christmas:"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4kNl7cQdcU

This is a great mixture of music, editing and of course acting to get the powerful emotion across of a mother and son reunited. It calls to mind the excitement of relatives coming home or staying over for the holidays. It's special in the way you want Christmas or any holiday to be.

One thing though, obviously the Mother is surprised to see Peter. So before then, did she just think someone was breaking into their house to make coffee? Lol

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
Perhaps the most sought after Christmas commercial of recent decades was "Peter Comes Home for Christmas:"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4kNl7cQdcU
Hey, I know this one :big_grin: I have it on one (or several?) of my family's taped-off-the-TV Christmas special tapes (we have many, heh, which includes mentioned A Christmas Toy).

LOL, did the mom think the little girl was making the coffee? Or some kind of homeless man that broke in? I mean who else could it be? XD

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
^ Hee, yeah, the singer is a little over the top. I can just picture him sitting on a lone stool, long ponytail, strummin' his guitar XD

Drtooth

Reaction score
I saw the coolest commercial last night on some odd DTV channel that runs old programming... old by 1980's backwards... I was watching the A Team... anyway, it was a Kool-Aid commercial that featured Bugs Bunny and the Monkees.

I will say Bugs was pretty under used there. He basically said, "What's up, Guys?" and disappeared for the rest of the commercial, sans the Kool-Aid packet he was on.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I saw the coolest commercial last night on some odd DTV channel that runs old programming... old by 1980's backwards... I was watching the A Team... anyway, it was a Kool-Aid commercial that featured Bugs Bunny and the Monkees
I think I remember seeing that on VH1 years ago, the Monkees were singing, "Make friends with Kool-Aid" and Davy Jones goes, "Everybody loves Kool-Aid!" Lol, they'd never let such a shameful advertising phrase be heard in commercials nowadays. :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think I remember seeing that on VH1 years ago, the Monkees were singing, "Make friends with Kool-Aid" and Davy Jones goes, "Everybody loves Kool-Aid!" Lol, they'd never let such a shameful advertising phrase be heard in commercials nowadays. :wink:
Depends... you can do it on adult prime time television, but on on kid's TV... I could rant about it here, but I'm starting something else.

Though, I have to admit, the solo Bugs Bunny ads are much better. I have this old bootlegged tape that has one where he's trying to con Elmer Fudd. And Elmer was voiced by Hal Smith, since they weren't able to get Arthur for some reason (was this after he passed on?) And before I found out Elmer wasn't voiced by Mel Blanc (common misconception that even got a toon hound like me), I was confused why he sounded like that when Bugs was the same performer.