Retro Commercials--What's the Attraction?

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
^ I still do that! XD For awhile I'll be like "Was that Korean?" and then it turns out whatever it was was in English.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Actually now that I think about it, I had that problem a lot as a kid, lol. Sometimes song lyrics just bunched up in my head and my mind translated them as pleasant sounding gibbrish. ::shrugs:: lol
Yeah, but somtimes the melody is just as important. It can make or break something memorable.

By the way, I used to love Disney adventures! I still have some pretty old issuse of it!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Moving away from the wistful world of cologne jingles, we turn to the tragic story of Suzie. Suzie had everything, brains, looks, a bright future. But sadly...she also had drugs.

(Warning: Mildly disturbing, still it was shown on network TV)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf3LkCkDFKU

This really is a good example of how public service announcements were really great works of media art. With the proper look and soundtrack, it creates a sort of twisted mood. It's a pleasant scene of a young girl's bedroom with stuffed animals, ballet slippers and trophies. Every now and then the music sort of "twinkles" in that '80s synthesizer way. But then the music turns solemn and dark, and you realize all is not what it appears to be.

I'm also glad they showed that even supposed successful young people can have drug problems. Sometimes we worry so much about grades and sports scholarships, we overlook the emotional turmoil that comes with adolesence and the need to address it before bad decisions are made.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I had a shoebox full of old issues, but sadly they were lost in a move :frown:
Sorry about that. Hope you'll still able to find them one day. I've lost things while moving before, but I can't rememebr any one particular thing, though.

You know heralde? I remember that commercial and that was a great massage and it is very true, but I can't help but feel the with the maas number of commercials like that, thatthay were over exaturating and sort of beating people oiver the head with how bad drugs are. It's was just the whole time period.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
You know heralde? I remember that commercial and that was a great massage and it is very true, but I can't help but feel the with the maas number of commercials like that, thatthay were over exaturating and sort of beating people oiver the head with how bad drugs are. It's was just the whole time period.
I definitely agree that they were often exagerrated (or probably over dramatic is the best term, hehe) and preachy. And that left them a bit open to ridicule and critiques. Though in the end, there's really no excuse for not knowing the dangers of drug use. :wink:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I definitely agree that they were often exagerrated (or probably over dramatic is the best term, hehe) and preachy. And that left them a bit open to ridicule and critiques. Though in the end, there's really no excuse for not knowing the dangers of drug use. :wink:
I completely agree with you. It's just that it got to the point of feeling very tend of the moment to do at the time. It was just over kill at the time you know?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Know which one of those drug commercials I liked? There was this one that was done in very Terry Gilliam-esque animation, and I believe it had John Cleese (or someone who sounded exactly like him). And I remember the line..."[if you look in the mind of a druggie], in fact, you might not find anything at all. LOOK! A CORN PUFF!" Now that was a good one.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Know which one of those drug commercials I liked? There was this one that was done in very Terry Gilliam-esque animation, and I believe it had John Cleese (or someone who sounded exactly like him). And I remember the line..."[if you look in the mind of a druggie], in fact, you might not find anything at all. LOOK! A CORN PUFF!" Now that was a good one.
Lol, that sounds awesome. Humorous, yet to the point. :smile:

Yay, here's those Cotton-Fabric of Our Lives I mentioned earlier!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoyFofup-EA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upd9AtdeAoE&feature=related

You know, I've been thinking. Someone might have said this before but, watching old commercials is sort of like watching home movies. Sometimes you laugh at how silly we dressed, other times we smile at the pleasant moments gone by. :smile:

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
^ I always get a little choked up when I watch old commercials. Even if I never saw it when it originally aired. Like, "Oh hey, I was in high school when this came out." Sometimes if the commercial was part of something I taped I automatically associate it with a feeling, like Christmas, and it makes me happy.