Riddle me this... Underage drinking

Status
Not open for further replies.

messyplace

Reaction score
Yep 18 in the vast majority of places in Europe.

In the UK the law is actually you must be 18 to buy the stuff.....you can be as young as 5 and legally drink alcahol as long as you didnt buy it. 18 is fine, most 18 year olds are old enough to make their own decisions, most are free to leave home, what's the age when people go to College/Uni in America? Is it about 18/19?

Surely if these people are old enough to leave home and live their own life in their own surroundings, they are old enough to know whether or not they want to drink? Having the age limit so high is IMO doing a couple of things....either tempting young rebelious kids to drink anyway and there will be alot who do it...just for the sake of being rebelious. Then there are the ones who will wait until they are 21 and possibly just let loose and drink far too much as they've wanted to for such a long time.

Education is the key to it all really...

Barry Lee

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
You know why Lindsay isn't being arrested for underage drinking? I'll tell you why, because in some cases, celebrities are considered above the law; if they really weren't, then I think the other two "bimbos of the apocolypse" (Paris Hilton and Britney Spears) would be wearing cuffs as well.
exactlly...

messyplace

Reaction score
What's the punishment for under-age drinking in America anyway? Just a fine or something?

Maybe she just pays the fines.

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Some dont even know about who is underaged drinking.

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Meaning some of the police dont know of much under aged drinking. They dont go to jail for it either. At least I dont think they do.

messyplace

Reaction score
Right...but they obviously do know in this case. So maybe she's just paying fines rather than getting away with it...who knows for sure really?

Underage drinking is a pretty difficult thing to control.

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
Barry Lee said:
Some dont even know about who is underaged drinking.
WELL if people obay the laws it would not be possible for Lindsy or anyone who is underage, for that matter to buy it for themselfs. Now getting someone older to do it is a diffrent story, but as far as getting it themselfs, well its like this...

I went out with my cousin I hadnt seen in a long time, we went to a tavern, I wasnt even ALLOWED in unless I showed my ID- thats right, thats the way its suppoed to be. And know what elce? I go to the liquor store or just about anywhere you can buy the stuff- guess what? I get carded. WHY ISNT SHE GETTING CARDED? no wait- I bet you that if you KNOW who she is, you know shes underage, or will at least question it. They can loose their liquor licence for that.

messyplace

Reaction score
To be fair though...if I met Lindsay Lohan I wouldnt have a clue how old she was, I was actually surprised to find out she was underage myself. Thought she'd be mid 20s by now, and she does look older than that.

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
messyplace said:
To be fair though...if I met Lindsay Lohan I wouldnt have a clue how old she was, I was actually surprised to find out she was underage myself. Thought she'd be mid 20s by now, and she does look older than that.

well see thats kinda my point- you dont have a clue how old she is, and Ive never come across a liquor store that assumed how old someone was. You can loose your bussiness, be fined and even go to jail, especialy if that underage drinker goes out and say, gets in a car and kills someone. They do trace it back and put part of the blame on you. Its too risky. My cousin is a bartender and my Uncle owns a bar, I know how serious it can be. I wasnt even alowed in my Uncles bar till I was 21, didnt matter if I was drinking or not. Just not something you mess with.

Status
Not open for further replies.