Rumor: The Muppet Wizard of Oz

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about this project possibility, but we all must remember that it would probably be a Muppet parody, not a remake. Every fan loved the Oz and Wonderland skits they did in the Muppet Show days. There's a beautiful landscape to explore in Oz. They'd irreverantly tear the story apart Muppet style. Either way, I'm not worried. The Oz connection could get some of the more unlikely audinece members to tune in.

I'm certain they can cast a name as Dorothy if that's the way they choose to go. The cameos in the Christmas special were a step up from MFS. I can see it getting even better. Personally, I hope they keep the people parts to a minimum.

jediX

Reaction score
I'd rather see NEW material. 2 of the 3 major theatrical Muppet releases (since Jim's death) are remakes (or as I call "cover movies"). Leave the Muppet/Wizard fusion at the song in Muppets go to the Movies. But that's just me....I've never been a fan of Wizard.

Although I would like to see Sal as a flying monkey........

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree, but if the rumor is true then it is already in this phase of production then we should accept it and look on the bright side rather than complain about it. That's not going to do any good. I've made it known before that I don't favor the retelling of classic stories in the first place, but the Muppets are great at it. Although I have thought that a Muppet James Bond would be cool, then they made that into a video game. Hmmm. LOL! I'm sure they came up with that on their own though.

goldenarrow05

Reaction score
chicagogonzo said:
If you are referring to "The Boy from Oz" with Hugh Jackman, this isn't about the Wizard of Oz, but about a guy from Australia. Of course, there could be another Oz project that I'm just not aware of.

Chicagogonzo
Actually i believe they are referring to "wicked" (i think thats what its called if im remembering correctly) which is opening this fall. it's about Glinda the good witch and the wicked witch of the west in their teenage years.

Beauregard

Reaction score
As someone, Drspy?, said before, usually fanmail responds really fast. The fact that they havn't denied this rumor, says to me that there is more to it that can't be denyed.

So....

jediX

Reaction score
::sigh:: Say this idea isn't so... PLEASE..... :sympathy: :embarrassed:

Beauregard

Reaction score
I'm with you Jedi.

I do not want them to go ahead with this.

jediX

Reaction score
As I said, 2 of the post-Jim movies were remakes of other stories. Then there was also Muppet Classic Theater. I mean, not that Treasure Island or Xmas Carol were BAD films (I always have liked Treasure Island), but I would rather just see something original and new (and not like Swamp Years, either).

The Muppets have done enough of Wizard already. Its time for something fresh. :smile:

Beauregard

Reaction score
Something fresh?

*Slips*

Bad doggy, you can't do that in here.

Luke

Reaction score
frogboy4 said:
Yeah, I agree, but if the rumor is true then it is already in this phase of production then we should accept it and look on the bright side rather than complain about it.
Yeah, i agree with your feelings on it and accept it too. If anything, i'm sure it'll look fantastic - lot's of effects things they can do to enhance the Oz 'look' and Nate's on the mark with the marketability aspect so I can see why they chose it at this point even if it doesn't gel well with what they've been building so far. I could never have imagined them doing this kinda thing though after so long, sounds like one of those 80's/90's anthology things you could read at Toughpigs once you get past the incredibly lengthy main page.

People shouldn't read much into Henson Fanmail not replying immediately, they always pass things onto the right departments and PR would probably wait until they could sort out a press release or something. The 'Oz' rumor seems to be spreading - it was mentioned in a UK Media newsletter this morning and there's an industry show here next week so maybe it'll get mentioned by the Henson related people along with all the 'Muppet Babies' stuff.