Rumor: The Muppet Wizard of Oz

dwayne1115

Reaction score
i just want to hear from somone up top that this is what its going to be. or it could be like what i thought and they knew that we would be all over a rumor and this is not really what they are working on to get us all sid tracked i mean this is the longest thred on here right now that has not benn muffened i just think they but this out here to get us sidtracked.

radionate

Reaction score
chicagogonzo said:
If you are referring to "The Boy from Oz" with Hugh Jackman, this isn't about the Wizard of Oz, but about a guy from Australia. Of course, there could be another Oz project that I'm just not aware of.

Chicagogonzo
No I'm not referring to the boy from Oz, but rather "Wicked" that someone else pointed out.

It stars Kristin Chenoweth, who I think is amazing. Joel Grey is playing the Wizard as well.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Joel Grey--wasn't he on TMS years ago?

You know, I was in The Wizard Of Oz. We changed it up a little bit. I wanted the role of Scarecrow (he and Jack Pumpkinhead are my favorite characters in the books), but got The Tin Man.

I don't want the Muppets to do this. I'd rather the Creature Shop got it instead. I'd rather see a second Caper-type film (USA Based this time) or something where the characters are themSELVES going on their adventure.

Or, heck, why not a Pigs In Space movie? Or a movie about the years when the EM Band was first meeting and formed their band?

Beauregard

Reaction score
Actually, I got an e-mail from Fanmail yesterday!

This is what it says:

Thanks for your interest. Sorry but we do not respond to speculation and rumors about future productions in which we may or may not be involved. News, when it is fact - and when it can be made public, is released to the media and posted on our web site www.henson.com.

Grrrr.....

King Prawn

Reaction score
The Muppets Take Oz

First of all I have to agree with most everybody, in order for the Muppets to have a successful film they need to play themselves, although yes even if they were playing other characters it would still be enjoyable but it would be the Muppets as we know them and enjoy watching them. So here’s my far fetched Muppet/Wizard of Oz idea titled “The Muppets Take Oz”.

The Muppets are just getting ready in their theatre to put on their weekly show, tonight they’re awaiting the arrival of there special guest star (who’ll play a vital role in the story) face it the Muppets have always used humans in their movie, so we’re going to have to work some into the story. We see Kermit as always panicking cause as always nothing’s going right, in the background we see Bobo, Bo, Fozzie etc… carrying props that resemble scenes in the story The Wizard of Oz. Kermit then in a brief conversation with Scooter lets us know that tonight their going to be performing the Wizard of Oz. Finally the special guest star arrives (a male star) and we have a little backstage chaos, Pepe then walks up to Kermit, Scooter and the special guest star, very excited about his trip to Oz and how he’s decided to go to Oz as it sound very fun. Kermit sadly informs him that Oz is not real that it’s a made up world in a book. Pepe is greatly disappointed. (I was going to put Robin in Pepe’s place but I have to chose my Muppet’s travelling to Oz very carefully, they can’t all go and if it were Robin who wanted to go to Oz then he’d have to travel to Oz and I just didn’t see him as that much of a character to travel to Oz (I know this last sentence didn’t make sense, it will later).

Anyway after overhearing this conversation Bunsen walks up with Beaker behind him and explains excitedly that he’s invented a new machine called Experience the Story where he can transport anyone into any story they wish. He goes on to say that he was going to debut it at Muppet Labs on tonight’s skit by sending his assistant Beaker to Wonderland but if they’d wish they could go for a quick ride to Oz.

Kermit, Pepe, Special Guest Star (from know on I’ll just refer to him as Guess) Janice, Floyd, Animal, Fozzie and Scooter decide to go, although Kermit at first complains that there’s no time the rest convince him to go just for five minutes. On their way there Piggy, Gonzo, Rowlf, Rizzo, and Johnny Fiama & Sal join them. Once at Muppet Labs Bunsen prepares to send them all to Oz, providing one of them has the book to scan the story into the computer to create the world of Oz, luckily Scooter has one and everything is set, Bunsen then sends them all to Oz, but just before the transportation Kermit asks if he’s tested this out before to which Bunsen replies it’s still in the experimental stage but to late the Muppets have been sent to Oz.

Recap, Guest, Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Rizzo, Pepe, Animal, Rowlf, Scooter, Janice, Floyd, Johnny Fiama & Sal have been transported to Oz.

Bunsen then keeps trying to send them back but nothing return’s, after a while of panicking he finally figures out why, he was able to transport them into the beginning of the story and in order to get them transported back he can only to so if they reach the end of the story (I haven’t read to the book yet but I presume the end would be the Wizards castle?) He sends Beaker into the story in order to give them the message (he has to stay behind in order to work the machine) After Beaker’s given them the message he then realises what he’s gotten himself into.

Okay so we know have the Muppets in Oz trying to reach the end (by following the yellow brick road) so that they may be transported back by Bunsen, but that’s just one of the many problems they as well as the Muppets in the theatre have. Back in the theatre the audience are sat waiting for the show and Statler & Waldorf’s comments from the balcony are not making it any easier. Sam, Clifford, Lew, Beauregard, Robin, Dr. Teeth, Zoot, Swedish Chef, Sweetums etc… are facing their own problem as they try to run the show with no host, no guest star, no nothing.

And back at Oz Kermit & co start to realise just how accurate the Land of Oz is to the story, when they bump into Dorothy, the Scarecrows, the Cowardly Lion, The Tinsman and Toto. Kermit explains how they wanted to come to Oz and how through Bunsen’s Experience the Story machine, they’ve been transported into Oz, Dorothy (BTW played by human actress, Tinsman etc… could be Muppet’s or human sized Muppets (I.e. Sweetums)) replies that why did they want to get into the story, all you do is follow the yellow brick road day after day after day, she then has a little mad outburst about how she hates living in the story, Tinsman etc… try to calm her down, Rizzo says “They never put that part into the story”. Anyway we establish Dorothy and her friends as a bit mean and wanting to get out of the story, Pepe then makes the mistake of telling her that once they get to the end they can be transported back home out of the story.

Dorothy then asks if they can come with them and get out of here, Kermit says sure but Beaker informs him in his Meepy way that if the characters of the actual story get out instead of the visitors then they must remain in the story and take the actual characters place. Kermit doesn’t translate it for Dorothy but idiotic Pepe once again puts his foot in it and explains it to Dorothy, you then says “Enjoy your stay at Oz” and runs of with her friends.

Okay I’m so tired of writing, good thing this is coming to an end.

So we have 14 Muppets plus guest trying to reach the Wizards castle to escape the story, Dorothy, the Cowardly Lion etc… trying to reach the Wizards castle to before them trapping them in the world of Oz and the rest of the secondary Muppet characters putting on a show in the theatre.

The End

Okay so I know this isn’t what Henson has in mind, they probably just want to do a nice new rendition of Oz using the Muppet’s but if I had it my way I’d have it this way, not necessarily the same story line but I’d have The Muppets as themselves in Oz. That way they can include as many Oz characters as they wish, have actual Oz characters (not Muppets playing them) and having the Muppets in Oz.

Just my 2… more like 2000 cents

BTW some of you might have notice that I haven’t been around for a while, that’s cause my computer hasn’t been working well but I’ve updated it with Window’s XP and hope it all stays well, so that I can post more often, I have been reading a lot just not posting.

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Beauregard said:
Actually, I got an e-mail from Fanmail yesterday!

This is what it says:

Thanks for your interest. Sorry but we do not respond to speculation and rumors about future productions in which we may or may not be involved. News, when it is fact - and when it can be made public, is released to the media and posted on our web site www.henson.com.

Grrrr.....
The updates will be listed at Henson.com? Who are they kidding? Henson.com still thinks MFS just came out.

(Not literally, of course. I'm just trying to make a point.)

Anyway, I do see this film working well around the holidays, but not this year. VMC was started in Feb. '02 and didn't hit the air until just after Thanksgiving of that year. I could see this hitting the air in Thanksgiving of '04 but not of '03.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
i saw somwhere on this long line of replys that somone had a copy of the scropit it this true or was i dreaming or am i just to confused about the whole henson mess to make heds or talils of this . Hey if ya do have the scripit share at least who is playing what that would really help me sleep at night. :smile:

Luke

Reaction score
Yeah totally agreed Chilly - we would be looking at anytime between Summer and Xmas 2004. I think yourself and Nate are both safe with the Thanksgiving guess. Perhaps a thanksgiving Muppet movie every year might become a traditional thing with the network.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Hey, King Prawn, I love you script idea. That would rock.