1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Rumor: The Muppet Wizard of Oz

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Hairfarmer, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Beauregard Well-Known Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. Ken Plume New Member

Unfortunately, this is exactly the type of thinking that continues to derail far too many franchises. If I had one wish, it'd be for fans to be instilled with a healthy desire - and demand - for quality, instead of the blanket "Even medicore *** is better than no ***" attitude.

If a person is truly a fan of a given franchise, then they should be keen on said franchise not going downhill due to half-baked projects (Swamp Years) or poor handling of said projects (MFS).

-Ken, who now returns to his travels...
  3. MrTheFrog Member

I think the casting is great, and the idea of Natalie Portman is brilliant! She's a great actress with enough child-like charm to give Judy Garland a run for her money. At first I thought they might not be able to afford her, but they did have Whoopi, Joan Cusack, and William H. Macy for the last TV movie. I hope this all comes to be. :)
    -Artie
  4. Phillip Administrator

Keep in mind Natalie Portman has worked with the Muppets before. She starred on Sesame Street this season.
  5. AndyWan Kenobi Active Member

I think Natalie Portman would be great in this movie, and I really like the idea of dual-casting Miss Piggy as Glinda and the Wicked Witch. She does have both of those aspects to her personality!
  6. BoyRaisin2 Active Member

I agree (to an extent). Except for For example, MFS. People get more excited for MFS because the Muppets are "playing themselves." Yeah well, so Kermit is "Kermit" again, does that make the movie better? In MCC, which I personally consider the best post-Jim Muppet project, Kermit and Piggy were not playing "themselves." So? Are they not still good and lovable? Was it still not a good film with a lot of heart and well, quality? Note: This is for the people who like MCC, others can tear me apart. :D

As for the "mediocre **** or no ****" part, well for the past few years the Muppets have given us both. Hopefully, they'll turn around once the Frog gets back on his flippers.
  7. AndyWan Kenobi Active Member

Am I the only one around here who really liked Muppets From Space? I saw it twice in the theater, and it cracked me up both times!
  8. Muppetsdownunder New Member

I haven't read all of this thread but wondered if anyone knows if its likely for there to be another muppet movie of the muppets wizard of oz. I would be happy with any new muppet productions because we don't see that many of them these days.
  9. Beauregard Well-Known Member

Padme as Dorathy sound good, I guess. I could live with Muppet WIzard of Oz if she was in it, but other than that. Totall *** in the broadest sence of teh word.
  10. BlueFrackle Active Member

11. Super Scooter New Member

What is your problem with the idea? I have asked so many times, and you won't answer me!

Anyway, I posted this somewhere else, but, couldn't you picture Scooter playing the Wicked Witch's henchman winged monkey guy?

"Poppies. Got it. Send off the jitter bug. Okay. Er, could I get you some coffeee with that spell, ma'am?"
  12. Cheebo New Member

Sal would work much better as the flying monkey, seeing how he is a monkey and all.
  13. BoyRaisin2 Active Member

Don't get me wrong, I liked MFS. It's a good film, but it's not up to the scale as some of the other Muppet movies. But it's still an enjoyable movie. Beats that Elmo in Grouchland crap...
  14. beaker Well-Known Member

I love reading the Aint It Cool News feedback...
    "ThE MUPPETS ROCKED!! But then I turned 5. What a stupid idea."
    My how people have lost their innocence and wonder...and this is why true Muppet fans are underground...because most of the world sees the Muppets as old nostalgia kiddy stuff...AND THIS TV SPECIAL ISNT GOING TO HELP.

Again I say...we were on the cusp of an 'edgy' Fox Muppet show...and now look where we are...JHC down to a water cooler in Manhattan, making an early 90's choice.

I pray and wonder if there is any hope for 2005?
  15. ScrapsFlippy Member

Here's an important question for anyone out there with a possible answer: (*ahem* buckbeaver *ahem*)

To whom and to where would a puppeteer send a resume for possible background work on this production? (Between Munchkinland, the Emerald City and Flying Monkeys, there should be the need for mucho BG work.) I tried to pull up the official JHC website, but to no avail. (I gues they're updating.) I could always drive over to the La Brea Ave offices and lean on the buzzer ala Steve Whitmire. Ha ha. But seriously. Anyone have the name of the talent coordinator/casting director/whatever-they-call-it?

--Scraps.
  16. ryhoyarbie Active Member

what the heck is going on here? the muppet version of wizard of oz??....what the heck is wrong with the hensons? (not to be rude) they finally bought back their company after years of the company being over at another company in europe and they think this new muppet special could help with the stability of the company? when you're running a company you don't make bone head, stupid, and idiotic idea like this. this will probably not help the company, but hurt it.

i'm with cory into asking not just myself but to everyone, where is the new edgier muppets people promised us? i liked the christmas movie last year, and thought it was great to see all the characters. i always thought that the muppets were made for everyone, not just kids, but somehow got thrown into the kids category years ago. looks like that edgier phase passed and the kiddie phase is back on top.

but this, this idea with only kermit, piggy, fozzie, gonzo, and a character i'm beginning to hate more and more of each day, pepe????????????since when did pepe became a classic character and take over the spot light for rowlf the dog or scooter?

ryan
  17. beaker Well-Known Member

Down the waste basket of dreams I guess, with all the other false hopes and things. I have hope *something good and epic* can happen in 2005...then again Ive been rallying for a 'new muppet rennasissance on here for 5 years.

since 2002! I like how Pepe is now part of the main core 5 now, replacing Animal.
  18. Phillip Administrator

If Pepe has cut into anyone's screen time, I would think it would be Rizzo. Rizzo was center stage in Christmas Carol and Treasure Island, but has played less of a role since then.
  19. ryhoyarbie Active Member

i'm assuming you like how pepe is overshadowing the greats like rowlf, scooter, floyd and others huh...

no offense but bill needs to lay off pepe for a while, or atleast give him the shortest amount of screen presence and concentrate on other characters.

ryan
  20. beatnikchick300 Active Member

I'm with you on this one.