Saving the Dream

christyb

Reaction score
Hi guys..you'll have to wait a wee bit longer. I'm so close to the three thou mark that I thought..hey why not make Chapter three the 3,000th post?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Capitol idea Sis... Especially since your next post will be #3000. So I await it with great gusto and glee!

green stuff

Reaction score
Oh! Christy B this is --well, marvelous!!! Geez- now I'm going to be in a perfectly great mood for work!! Teehee! Thanx, you've made my day!! Oh, by the way, I'm working on more story myself, so please don't bring out your nagging stick just yet...please?

Anyway--great job (BTW- for what it's worth, I didn't see any bashing either.)

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Heheh Christy, it's alright, that's why I said it didn't make a difference, seeing as how it was Kermit. This is the same frog that got pickpocketed, remember.
:smile:
Now, could you please hurry up and make that all-important post?

christyb

Reaction score
Okay..first off..sorry about the delay. I wrote the chapter right in here...it was wonderful..heart rendering...then the server crashed! :eek: So I had to go home and rewrite the hole thing...which took me some time b/c well..let's just say have your teddies and kleenex handy....oh yeah..and happy 3 thou to me! Oh and P.S...all you who are in the medical field...I know this is not how things are done..bear with me.

*:smile: **:smile: *
Chapter Three

“Wait a minute…he’s a frog….how in tarnation can he have spinal meningitis?” Lisa was the first to speak.

“Well actually it’s a rare strain of meningitis. Actually it’s not really meningitis in it’s truest form. Anyways In humans it would attack the spine. In Kermit,” the doctor began.

“….lemme guess it attacks whatever bone it finds and infects whatever is closest to it right?” Christy finished.

“Correct. Mr. and Mrs. The Frog just know we’re doing everything we can for your son. Right now this wing of the hospital is under quarantine until we can get your family and the Muppets tested. As soon as we’re finished you’ll be free to go. I have already sent a press release downstairs notifiying of Kermit’s condition and that the crowd is to go home,” the doctor explained.

“When can we see him? I need to see him. I gotta see my baby,” Jane pressed the doctor.

“They’re moving him to a room right now. Everyone can see him…however due to the large size of his family you’re only allowed a few minutes at a time. Why don’t you and Mr. The Frog come with me and I’ll show you to his room. Then I’ll go tell everyone in the waiting room,” the doctor began.

“No Christy and I will tell them. No offense Doctor but you’re not used to making Muppet announcements. You’ll never get out of there. The sooner you get back to work the sooner Kermit can be back on his feet,” Lisa said.

Miss Piggy, Christy, and Lisa watched the doctor walk down the hallway to room 590. Miss Piggy clamped her jaw tight without a word and walked off the other direction. Christy shrugged and Lisa turned to go after her. Christy squared her shoulders not liking the task she was left with. Not that she could blame Lisa for running after Miss Piggy. That seemed a lot better than telling 5,000 some odd frogs and hundreds of Muppets what was going on.

“And Jim returned to England with the treasure,” Gonzo sat in the middle of a gaggle young frogs.

Christy silently paused at the doorway. Everyone in the room sat listening to the end of Gonzo’s tale. Quietly she knocked on the doorframe and cleared her throat. All eyes turned on her, “I guess you’re wondering if I have answers huh? Before or after I broke past the guards and waltzed into the mens restroom and I’m avoiding the subject and babbling aren’t I? Kermit has a rare strain of spinal meningitis.”

Suddenly everyone began talking at once. Christy filled them in as best as she could as the nurse came for the first group to be tested. Maggie the frog took a few of her nieces and nephews and followed the nurse. They paused for a moment in front of room 590 before walking on.

Behind the closed door a mother sat in a white room. The only sounds were her son’s labored breathing and the steady beeps of the heart monitor. Tears fell down her cheeks as her son tossed in his sleep. His body raged with fever as he coughed then settled down once more. With a sigh she dabbed her tears, “Son, I love you. Your Father loves you. Your brothers and sisters, nieces, and nephews, and weirdoes love you. However, Son you have to learn to take care of yourself. Don’t carry the world on your shoulders. I told you your body will take a break when it needs it. With or without asking you. That’s not important now…breaks over love. Time to wake up and greet the sunshine. Please son..for me..for Mommy…wake up now.”

Minutes later a yellow figure with a clipboard sat in the chair, “Anyways, we’l be fine boss. You just concentrate on getting better okay? I have everything under control. Well at least the Christmas show. You’ll be fine by the time of our New Year’s special…right?”

Down the hall Robin walked next to the wall to keep out o the way. He had asked the doctor if he could see his Uncle Kermit. After what seemed like a lecture that lasted forever the doctor finally told him he was too young. With a sigh he sat down outside Kermit’s door. Lisa came up and placed her arm around her young friend, “Hey, now now. No tears he’ll be all right. I promise.”

“I know…it’s just that, well Lisa, I just want to see him. The doctor said I was too little to go see him,” Robin explained taking Lisa’s offered hanky.

“Did he now. Well hop in my coat. I’m not too young,” Lisa said and with that she took Robin inside to give his uncle a hug.

In the waiting room Piggy stood beside the window. Janice came up and placed her arm around her friend, “Piggy, do you like want me to come with you to see Kermit?”

Piggy laughed and turned toward Janice, “Oh Janice, silly girl. Kermie’s not sick…he’s not dying. He’s at home taking a nap before our date. Now if you’ll excuse vous, I’m going to step into the ladies room and freshen up.”

“But Piggy, Kermit’s not at home..he’s sick. Piggy! Like wait up!” Janice ran past Gonzo who was walking into the hospital room.

Gonzo looked down at his friend and boss, “Hey Kermit. Don’t worry about us. You just get better okay? They’re gonna let us all go in a little bit. When you get out we’ll have a big party to celebrate and I’m gonna provide all the entertainment. All you have to do is tell me where you hid my tattered moss outfit, the firecrackers, and the matches.”

Outside Fozzie Bear paused and turned to see James the Frog and Christy standing behind him, “I..I was gonna go see Kermit next. There’s something I’d like to do….maybe you would like to go in now Mr. The Frog?”

With that Kermit’s Dad thanked Fozzie and went inside the room. Fozzie turned to Christy and asked, “Every Friday Kermit and I have snacks and alone time with each other…you think you could?”

“There’s a vending machine down the hall and I have a whole pocketful of quarters come on,” Christy replied as the two walked towards the snack area.

Inside the room James placed a hand on his son’s forehead and whistled, “You’re hotter than asphalt on the fourth of July, Son. I just wanted to let you know…we’re all pulling for ya. Now you rest. Don’t worry about us. Just if you can…wake up soon. Your Mom is awful worried about ya,” with that tears started slipping down his cheeks, “…you know how your Mother is. No matter how big ya get or how famous you are you’re still..her…our little boy. We’re not supposed to outlive ya. C’mon Son…you’ve got a lot of people depending on you. I love you.” James the Frog squeezed his son’s hand one last time and left the room to see Fozzie and Christy standing there.

Quietly they went inside the room. Fozzie moved the chair and bedside table so the snacks could lay between him and Kermit. Christy placed the sodas on the table and left. Fozzie opened both them and a couple of bags of Doritos and looked up, “Kermit, every Friday we get together and you make me feel better. So now I’m here to make you feel better. I’ll tell you everything that’s been going on since this morning.”

Christy shut the door quietly and placed a homemade sign on it saying, “Do not disturb Friday with Fozzie in progress.” Thoughts swirled about her mind as she rounded the corner and saw the nurses station ahead of her. The doctor and a few nurses stood with Kermit’s clipboard between them. All of them so enveloped in their discussion that they didn’t see her coming.

“It’s risky, but it’s all we can do. It’s up to Kermit now,” the doctor said placing the clipboard on the counter.

“But sir..shouldn’t you tell them that the medicine might not have any effect on Kermit because he’s a frog?” the nurse questioned.

“No, let’s wait and see how he makes it through tonight,” the doctor began.

“Whoa, wait a minute. What do you mean the meningitis medicine won’t work on Kermit? You mean that..that…” Christy interrupted her face going white.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Oh the drama! You're good at pulling on the heartstrings Christy! Cute with Lisa and Robin, nice reference to how she lives with him at the dorms. Piggy in denial, nice touch. This chapter was well worth the wait, hope to see more soon!

Beauregard

Reaction score
I read it. I liked it! The Lisa/Christy stuff was cute! You have a great grip on the fan/friend/family dynamics! I'm enjoying it!

theprawncracker

Reaction score

Fridays With... With Fozzie...

Fozzie... And... And Gonzo... And James... And Jane... And Robin... Wow Christy... Piggy... Wow...

More... Please...

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
OK... So now that you've gotten us all weepy with the revelation of Kermit's malady... And the touching moments of the various Muppets sharing some time with their stalward frog-in-chief... You can't leave us on that cliffhanger of a last line. You get back here and post more story Sis or I'lll, well, I don't know what I'll do, but you don't want to know either.

christyb

Reaction score
I'm glad you guys like it. It's hard starting on an emotional rollercoaster drop like this. However..this story isn't really about Kermit and his illness..but about the others. Anyways, hang in tight we're still in the beginning and the story really hasn't started rolling. Also, I'll admit now that I have no idea where we're going. I'm from the hip.