Say Cheese!

christyb

Reaction score
Tis magic Lisa. Pure magic. I mean how often can a writer make her audience wanna hug Miss Piggy?? Without fear of a karate chop that is. Then there's Rowlf at the piano. *sniff* Twas a moving scene. His perserverance in playing anything and not giving up was great. I agree with Beth. That last line hit me right about *points to heart* there. :smile: More please!

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
The Count said:
But how can Rowlf and the Chef not understand each other or not speak the same language? They're rooming with you at the moment.
It happens. Trust me. I listen to it every morning. Every. Single. Morning. From what I've caught on, it's too early for Rowlf to figure out what Chef is saying, so he just barks, and then neither of them know what the heck they're talking about... You'd be amazed at the conversations they have. And at how long they can keep it up for. And at how early they can start. Even on weekends. Especially if I want to sleep in. Trust me. It happens. Every. Single. Morning. <Deep breath.>

redBoobergurl said:
(Although I'd love some more of Flippersteps too...)
Yeah, me too... Maybe some time this weekend I can figure out some of season one... we'll see...

christyb said:
I mean how often can a writer make her audience wanna hug Miss Piggy??
I don't know, but I seem to be earning a reputation for it... Wouldn't you agree, Prawnie? Leyla? :halo:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
*Pops in... If you need help with Season 1 of TMS for Flippersteps, LMK and we can talk in the thread since I don't know how else to reach you little Miss Invisible Mode.
Oh, you're just in the lurker mode for Halloween... OK then I guess, just miss seeing your name in the online crowd.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
A Count for All Seasons said:
Oh, you're just in the lurker mode for Halloween... OK then I guess, just miss seeing your name in the online crowd.
*walks in quietly* *whispers* I agree sincerly and whole heartedly. Please don't torture me!:eek:

Leyla

Reaction score
TogetherAgain said:
I don't know, but I seem to be earning a reputation for it... Wouldn't you agree, Prawnie? Leyla? :halo:
<giggles> Well... yes... but in my case... it's not like this is a difficult thing. <is not a fangirl> <very shifty eyes>

Now! Reviewing!

Chapter Two:
Chapter Two
That's what I said!

Kermit paced the waiting room of the hospital. The others had wanted to come, but they had stayed at the theater. After all, the show must go on. They could come when it was over.
Poor, poor Rowlf... and fretting Kermit, all alone!

Ty Pennington had been incredibly understanding of it all. He had even helped get Rowlf into the ambulance between skits. It was wonderful to work with nice people.
Aww... he does seem nice! And, that observation is such a sweet, Kermity thing to think about. Not to mention how neatly it leads in to:

Of course, Miss Piggy was doing everything in her power to make Ty as comfortable as possible. Kermit felt himself cringe. Why did she do that? It drove him crazy. She flirted with every attractive male that crossed her path, and yet if he so much as said another girl was talented...
That! Why does she do it? You just answered your own question, Kermit! Because it drives you crazy. Heck, that's the only way she can tell Kermit likes her sometimes, so can you blame her? Still... I hate to see him stressed and hurting, accept that it generally leads to an eventually happy ending.
Right, beloved mentor?

He glanced at the door of the waiting room, snapping himself back to the present. Why hadn't the doctors come and told him anything? What was taking so long? Was Rowlf that bad? Be strong, Kermit, be strong...
<closes eyes, hugs the frog> <sigh> It's easier for him to be strong when he's surrounded with his loving family of wackos. Speaking of...

The door opened and Fozzie walked in, wringing his hat in his hands, looking hopefully at Kermit. One glance at his friend and the bear knew there was nothing to say. He looked down with a sigh and came over to stand near Kermit. The Electric Mayhem followed him in. Then came Gonzo, looking more ashamed than Kermit had ever seen him. And now came Sweetums and Robin, and Bunsen and Beaker, and Rizzo, and Pepe, and Beauregard, and the Swedish Chef, and Sam, and Link, and Scooter... The whole theater was there. Well, almost the whole theater.
Hoorah! The calvary's here, so to speak! Oh, how much heart lurched in pity for Gonzo, and Fozzie knowing Kermit so well as to understand in only a glance. Such a dear heart.

Gonzo sighed. "It's all my fault," he whispered.

Kermit put an arm around him. "I don't think Rowlf will blame you, Gonzo," he said. "I know I don't."

Gonzo turned to look at Kermit, almost not believing what he was hearing. He put his hand on the frog's back. "Thanks, Kermit."
Ah, that's such a good friend, right there. He came right out and said exactly what Gonzo needed to hear. Kermit's a GREAT leader... he might not always believe it, but he is, and the other's can all see it, plain as day. What a treasure that humble frog heart is!

The three friends nodded, each becoming absorbed in their own individual thoughts. Kermit lifted his head and looked around the room. Someone was missing.

"Where's Piggy?" he said.
Ah, the question that plagued me for so long! And now, of course, I know the answer... <sigh> Piggy, I still think you made the wrong choice, though, goodness knows you tried to make it right...

The door opened. A man with a long white coat on came in. He had brown eyes and brown hair and beard. His eyebrows lifted. "Are you all here for the dog?" he asked softly. They nodded. "Well. I'm Dr. Henson, I worked on him. He's going to be fine."
Yippee!!! He's going to be alright! Hooray for Dr. Henson!!! Who better to look after Rowlf after all, than Jim himself!

Kermit and Fozzie stood up and began to follow him. Kermit stopped and half-turned towards the couch.

"Gonzo," he said.

Gonzo looked up at the frog. He stood and followed them.
<nods> Perfect little moment there, Lisa. Gonzo's hesitation, Kermit's calling him to join them, keeping him close. Kermit's got SUCH a good heart.

Dr. Henson showed them where the room was and stood at the door as they filed in. He watched them, deep in thought, half-wondering why this dog was in a situation to be hit with flying Swiss cheese. "
Clearly, Dr. Henson has never watched the muppet Show, or treated a muppet patient before.

He had a bandage around his head and a cast on each arm. He looked drowsily up at them. "Hey Kermit," he said.

"Um, how are you feeling?" Kermit asked.

Rowlf hesitated. "A little woozy," he said.
Aww... woozy Rowlf is SO adorable.

“I’m so sorry!” Gonzo blurted out.

Rowlf slowly turned his head towards the weirdo. “Hey,” he said slowly. “At least it was Swiss cheese… I’d be in a lot worse shape if it was mozzarella.”
That sweet, wise dog... a little joke like that can do SO much for an anxious friend. great line, too! Mozzarella! You write them so well, Lisa!!

Rowlf’s eyes drifted. “How was the show?” he asked no one in particular.

Kermit turned to Fozzie.

“Um…” the bear said, “Well… the theater’s still standing.”

Gonzo nodded, and Kermit shrugged. “That’s a good start,” he said.
Are you like me and get the impression most of them are sort of waiting for the whole place to fall apart? I can almost see a group shrug. "Theatre blew up." "Hmm. Well, bound to happen. I didn't think it would be on a Thurday, but what do you know."

“You didn’t stay?” Rowlf slid his gaze towards the frog.

“I stayed with you,” Kermit explained.

Rowlf looked at him for a moment. “Thanks.”

Kermit nodded.
Oh! And she smitteth my heart again! My brain isn't working well at this point, but my heart is doing triple duty. Beautiful, beautiful writing. The characters have so much depth and heart when you write them, Lisa. You make me feel what they feel, and that's a real gift for an author to have, and a reader to recieve.

“Too bad I missed Ty’s number,” Rowlf drawled. “He was looking forward to making a fool of himself… How’d it go?”

Again, Kermit turned to Fozzie.

“Um- Well-“ Fozzie fidgeted with his hat. “It was… confusing.”
Am I supposed to know what the act was? I wish I did, it sounds entertaining, and I'm very fond of Dr. Teeth, and his effect on music. :wink:

“Confusing…” Rowlf considered it for a moment. “I guess.” He hesitated another moment. “I’ll write Ty a note or something to…” His eyes drifted to his cast-bound paws. He stared at them. “I won’t write,” he corrected himself. “Never was much good with a pen, anyway.”
<wince> Oh, poor dear Rowlf! His paws have to be so important to him to, as a piano player!

“You could dictate it to someone,” Kermit suggested. “Any of us would be happy to write for you.”
<nods>
Good frog. Good problem solver.

“How are you gonna play piano?” Fozzie asked.
The 64,000 dollar question...

Rowlf set his head back against the pillow and thought for a good long moment.

Finally, he decided.

“Poorly.”
... and the answer beyond price. Why is that a perfect Rowlf line? Well, I don't know about you <waves vaguely> but I always got the impression that Rowlf doesn't think of himself as a great piano player. It's just what he does, you know, so answering like that... well, yes, it's certainly true in a sense that he won't be playing very well till he's healed up, but it's also kind of soothing. He's still going to play, somehow, and it will be what it is. <nods in approval> Yes. Incredible character moment there for Rowlf in that little, well-considered answer. This won't change him, and it certainly won't stop him.

Kermit’s face screwed itself up into a cross between a grin and a scrunch. Yup- Rowlf was just fine.
Mmm... like how you put that, the description of the facial expresion. And, of course, I like that Kermit understands Rowlf's answer. He doesn't try to comfort him with meaningless platitudes, just understands and knows that Rowlf is okay... very, very touching stuff.

Ah, Lisa... I may not be a Piggy fangirl <shifty eyes> but I'm certainly a fan of your writing, dear. Keep up the great work! (And hey, keep in touch, won't you, when you're a wealthly professional writer?)

Leyla

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Um... Begging yer pardon miss Layla... But Dr. Henson's treated other Muppets before. Remember, this is a cameo of a character seen before down in the swamps of Leland, tending to yon Kermit's mum when she had that horrid bout o' brain rot.
Hope this helps ye... *Turns off British beggar boy mannerisms.

*Turns on Undertaker charms.
Now then... Shall we be getting more of this enchanting fictional tale? Do so hope I won't have to call on Master Devinshire to jolt you into posting. After all, you're already one chapter behind your cherished other half.
*Evil smile.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
<Steamily evil look.>

I am aware of his current one-chapter lead.

I am also aware of the awkward conversation that must be scribed.

I shall say no more on the topic. For now.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Very well then... Hope for more of this and/or Flippersteps. If you can tonight, join us at the party. But until the morrow creeps...

*In Undertaker voice: Rest... In... Peace.
*Bells toll, adding to the eeriness.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Chapter Six

Rowlf examined the breakfast table. Kermit was putting a lot of effort into giving Robin his full attention, and carefully avoiding eye contact with Miss Piggy. This was no easy task, considering that Miss Piggy was desperately trying to make eye contact with him. Fozzie had a vague, almost undetectable, sort of weariness about him. Scooter was too busy running around doing things to show much emotion, although he did seem a tad more annoyed than usual. Gonzo was talking to Camilla, but his eyes kept drifting to Rowlf’s casts. Rizzo was on the phone, having a disgruntled conversation with someone. Hilda was examining whatever seams she could see and otherwise staring at her food deep in thought. Clifford looked a little more irritable than usual. The penguins had finished eating and were now practicing flips, with one of them consistently landing on his back. They crowded around the clumsy one and quacked. Pepe was examining his hands between bites and insulting quips.

These were Rowlf’s observations. Beauregard had one of his own.

“Nobody’s as happy today,” he said as he sat beside the dog.

“We’d be happier if the floor were cleaner,” Nigel the conductor said, almost teasingly.

“Oh I can change that,” Beauregard said, standing up. “I’ll get my mop.”

“Naw, Beau, sit down,” Rowlf said, gesturing for the janitor to stay. “You’re right.”

“I am?” Beauregard said.

“Uh huh.”

“But I thought I was on your left.”

Rowlf did a double take. “Just sit down, Beau,” he said. “What I meant is that you’re correct. Something’s kinda tense today.”

“We know who to thank for that,” Clifford said, jerking his head towards Kermit and Miss Piggy. “Never fails, man, it never fails.”

“True,” Rowlf said. “They do tend to be contagious. But I don’t think it’s just them today.”

They subconsciously shifted their eyes to his casts.

“Here you go, Rowlf!” Scooter said, setting a milkshake down in front of him.

“Thanks,” Rowlf said. He sniffed it. “Is there Swiss cheese in it, or is that just my nose still?” he asked.

“Well I hope it’s not your nose in it!” Gonzo said. He was tense, not sure if he had any right to joke about the matter.

Rowlf grinned. He touched the tips of his fingers to his nose. “Nope- still on my face,” he said.

“Good,” Gonzo smiled.

“I made it, not Chef,” Scooter said. “No Swiss cheese.”

“In that case, I’ve got the safest breakfast at this table,” Rowlf said.

A large piece of someone’s cereal came flying at Rowlf, hit- and cracked- his glass, and was thus deflected.

Rowlf examined it. “See?”

“Better drink it fast before it’s gone,” Clifford said, looking at the crack in the glass.

Rowlf sipped at the straw and watched as Sam the American Eagle poked at his waffles. He poked one just right, and it squirted him in the eye.

“OHH!” he groaned in pain. “OHH!”

“Rinse it with water!” Rowlf ordered.

Ten glasses of water were instantly splashed in the eagle’s face.

Sam tried to smooth the water out of his feathers. “Hmph!”

Kermit sharpened his eyes on this additional commotion. “Guys, please,” he begged, “No more than one hospital run a week, please?”

“I second that!” Rowlf raised a cast.

“Si, I seventh it, hokay!” Pepe said.

“You’re supposed to third it,” Rizzo said.

“Si, but I have six hands, hokay?”

“Sure, whatever,” Rizzo shrugged. “One hospital run a week.”

“I just hope they don’t land on the show anymore,” Fozzie sighed. “I don’t know how you do it, Kermit.” He set his chin on his hand.

“Yeah, me either,” Kermit said. He shook his head. “You hope they don’t come show night. I hope they don’t come at all.”

Fozzie raised his head. “I try to be realistic sometimes,” he said with a sympathetic smile.

Kermit nodded. “True.” He turned to his food and wondered if he wanted to eat it.

When the time came to board the bus, Kermit herded Rowlf into the front seat with him. “We should talk,” he said reluctantly.

Rowlf settled in and waited with his usual attentive patience, but nothing else was said until they sere on the road.

Kermit shifted his weight. “Rowlf,” he said uneasily. “…Rowlf, what- I mean-“ He stopped, frowning, struggling for the right words. He shifted his weight and tried another approach. “How do your paws feel, Rowlf?”

Rowlf looked at his casts. “Sore,” he confessed. He grinned at his friend. “But that milkshake sure tasted good,” he said.

“Heh.” Kermit gave half an empty smile. “But uh, Rowlf…” He squirmed. “Rowlf, you… I mean…”

Kermit could think of many unpleasant activities he would have rather done than say this to Rowlf. Going to the dentist was among them, and he didn’t even have teeth.

“Rowlf- you can’t really play now, can you?” he finally forced himself to say. “I mean, with the casts and all… You’re wrists are broken, Rowlf.”

Rowlf sighed and stared at his casts. “I tried some this morning,” he said softly. “It hurt a whole lot.”

Kermit put his hand on Rowlf’s shoulder. “Rowlf… I hate to say this, but…”

“I can tell.”

“…What are you gonna do at the theater?”

Rowlf sighed a deep, heavy sigh, and thought. “Not much,” he said.