Scotland meets Kentucky!

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I went to the graveyard in Scotland to see Greyfriars Bobby's monument and took a picture of me next to it! :stick_out_tongue:
Erin

anathema

Reaction score
Don'tLiveonMoon said:
I went to the graveyard in Scotland to see Greyfriars Bobby's monument and took a picture of me next to it! :stick_out_tongue:
Erin
Did you get told the real story behind the doggie, or just the one they tell the tourists?

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Probably the tourist one. I didn't hear anything there, I had just read about him before and tracked him down. What I heard was that he was adopted by this guy - a cop, I think - and they always went to the bakery every morning and got a pastry. Then the man died a year later, and Bobby kept a constant vigil by his grave except every morning when he went to get two pastries from the bakery. Something like that. I thought it was really sweet, though.
Erin

anathema

Reaction score
The story is sorta accurate. What they don't usually tell the tourists is that the guy in question is actually buried in another cemetery a couple of miles away... The headstone you can see in Greyfriars' Kirkyard was put there by someone with more money than sense who liked the story...

Personally, I b'lieve that any dog will stay and howl when you've just lowered the gravestone on his tail.

Beebers

Reaction score
Can you tell us the story? I've not heard of this, it sounds good.

And, did you survive the grits? Inquiring minds want to KNOW.

:attitude:

Are you guys getting any snowflakes? I know Tennesse did, and N.C., with more to come. We're due for 1-2 feet, excellent.

anathema

Reaction score
Beebers said:
Can you tell us the story? I've not heard of this, it sounds good.

And, did you survive the grits? Inquiring minds want to KNOW.

:attitude:

Are you guys getting any snowflakes? I know Tennesse did, and N.C., with more to come. We're due for 1-2 feet, excellent.
I've avoided the grits so far :smug: No snow yet either :smile:

Last night however: first we got the snoring, then we got the Darth Vader breathing...!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
You can stop that heavy breathing by putting a pillow over his head. (I just won't be held liable for how you put/hold it there and the outcome thereafter!)

We didn't have snow here in Memphis, TN, last night; but it was COLD COLD COLD...I walked over to our cartoonists meeting and then ordered Sprite (like a dummy), and then gulped down another glass of it before I walked back to my apartment, and it was COLDER COLDER COLDER!!!

Grits is tasty; you'll like them if you like corn at all. That "Kentucky Hot Brown" is what we call "Breakfast Casserole" around here. The recipe I use came from Minnie Pearl, and it's goooooood mm-mmmm! When's lunch, I'm hungry.

Alex, tell him you want some collard greens and hog jowls, cornbread and buttermilke, and some purple hull peas.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Beebers said:
In some ways, drspy, the U.S. is still The North and The South. We Yankees up north know what grits are but are fundamentally unable to consume them.
I didn't know about them...

Ironically I do know what Haggis is... of Course, I learned that from the old Earthworm Jim cartoons....

But hey... if yuz evah come to Bwastun, I'll make shure ta pick yuz up a sub or somethin'....

(no I do not talk with that accent... even imitating it hurts my vocal cords..)

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
anathema said:
I've avoided the grits so far :smug: No snow yet either :smile:

Last night however: first we got the snoring, then we got the Darth Vader breathing...!
:smirk: