Sesame Song about Pockets

truth66

Reaction score
"Pockets" Song/Skit

Mister Fred,

I remember about as much as you do regarding the lyrics. Like you, all I remember is a woman singing the lyrics in a high falsetto kind of way. The background music was quick and silly-like and with her singing the lyrics it really captured your attention. I remember being just glued to my television when this skit was on. If I remember correctly the scene with the guy breaking the step on the stepladder had the lyrics, "What do we do without pockets...where would you put all your tools." That's how I know the guy (I'm sure it was a guy now) was wearing overalls. And the man pouring tomato juice in his shirt pocket and then squishes it did actually happen in one scene. I remember that and thinking why would someone do that? I guess the premise of the song was to teach children about what to do and not do with their pockets. I'm sorry I can't remember anything else. Like I said before, I think I saw this skit only once. But, somehow it made an impression somewhere in the recesses of my brain that has stayed with me for almost 25 years. I'm continuing my search for this song/skit. If I find it, I will be sure to let you know. Please do the same for me.

Mister Fred

Reaction score
Pockets song/skit

Does the scene with the man pouring tomato juice in the shirt pocket come before or after the guy wearing overalls with tools stuffed in the pockets breaks the stepladder. I know the woman wearing the white sweater putting her hands in her pockets is the very next scene after the guy with the overalls breaks the stepladder. I know the woman wearing the tan jacket opening the pocket that has a button is the very first scene at the start of the song. Then the boy combing his hair and putting the comb in his back pocket of his bluejeans and then a woman wearing a tan jacket (maybe the same as the first one) opening the pocket that has a zipper then pulls the pocket inside out. I don't know when the scene is where a man pulls a hankerchief out of his shirt pocket ("there are pockets that are magic). You don't remember any of these other scenes? If I get ahold of this song I will let you know right away.

truth66

Reaction score
"Pockets" Song/Skit

Mister Fred,

I believe the scene with the man pouring tomato juice in in shirt pocket was somewhere near the end of the song but I'm not sure. I want to say near to the last scene. I thought that the boy combing his hair and then putting the comb in his back pocket was the very first scene, but I guess I'm wrong. I Also, remember there was different types of pockets profiled in the scenes (ie. pockets that buttoned, pockets that had zippers, pockets that had flaps, pants pockets, shirt pockets, jacket pockets, etc.) It has been almost 25 years since I've seen the skit. The rest is a grey area for me at best. I don't know why these are the only scenes I clearly remember. The scene where the guy breaks the stepladder I believe went like this, he comes into the scene wearing overalls and a (maybe) a toolbelt with way too many tools in his pockets (especially in his bib pocket and back pockets). He walks over to the stepladder to climb up and do something (I don't know what). As he puts his foot on the stepladder to start climbing and applies his weight to step, it snaps and causes him to lose his balance. I think he then puts his hands in his front pockets and walks away. Don't quote me on that though. I was only 5 or 6 years old at the time when I saw it. But, I think that is accurate.
The possible good news is that I found a guy online who claims to have every SS episode on tape. So, I e-mailed him about this song/skit. He wrote me back and said that it sounded vaguely familiar but he wasn't sure. He said he would try and find it. Keep your fingers crossed and I'll keep you posted.

Mister Fred

Reaction score
Pockets song / skit

truth66,
Sesame Street just recently released a CD with about 50 songs on it or more. In all it's 3 cd's of songs of almost every song sung on Sesame Street. I looked for it at Wal Mart, but they do not have it yet. Start checking music stores as well as Wal Mart. Just maybe this 3 pack CD may have the pockets song on it. Also go to the thread titled "anyone interested in trading for unpaved episodes" right here at muppet central. There is one person who has a copy of episode #796. It has the "Pockets" song on it. I tried trading with him but I do not have another old episode of Sesame Street to trade with him. Maybe you have one to trade with him. Like I said before, I want a copy of this song / skit. This song / skit has been stuck in my brain for a long time and reminds me of one of my old schoolteachers that always kept her hands in her pockets. Every dress, skirt, pants, & jacket she wore always had pockets and she always had her hands in them all the time.
Like you, I like overalls as well but I seldom wear them. I think girls look good in them better than guys. My wife loves to wear overalls and she "loves her pockets" so she's got a place to put her keys, and other things when she doesn't want to carry a hand bag. Also, when she's walking around, she's got a place to put her hands instead on swinging them at her sides. Let me know what you can find out about this CD. I will keep looking too.

truth66

Reaction score
"Pockets" quest continues

Mister Fred,

Thank you for the tip. I will check out Wal-Mart and other music stores for the 3 CD set from Sesame Street. That guy I told you about that possibly had the "Pockets" song/skit turned out to be a bust. He was a little to young to remember the song and didn't have it...oh well! It seems funny that more people don't recall this song/skit. I think the reason I remember it is mainly because like your mom, my mom would sing this song too. Even when it wasn't on TV. Actually your old teacher reminds me of my mom. She loves her pockets too! She always wore clothing with lots of pockets...especially overalls. Which is the reason I like overalls. She always dressed me in them up to age of 5 or 6. See, I was a "chubby" kid and didn't have much of a waistline, so overalls helped with that problem. I completely agree with you as well that women look much better in overalls than guys. Anyways, I will continue my search for the elusive "Pockets" song. Don't give up hope and keep on perservering. If we try hard enough we will reach our goal.

ssetta

Reaction score
This 3 CD Box Set doesn't have any of the clips I want, and it definitely does not have this "Pockets" song. I don't think we'll ever be seeing or hearing that song again.

Mister Fred

Reaction score
Pockets song / skit

ssetta said:
This 3 CD Box Set doesn't have any of the clips I want, and it definitely does not have this "Pockets" song. I don't think we'll ever be seeing or hearing that song again.
ssetta, what scenes & lyrics do you know with this song. You are right about thr 3 CD box set. I don't think we will being seeing or hearing the pockets song again. But I will continue my search with truth66 for this song / skit. It was one of my favorites on Sesame Street.

ssetta

Reaction score
I remember a scene with a magician pulling a long colorful something out of his little pocket. I haven't watched it in quite some time, as I don't have a clean copy, so I don't remember it that well. But I wish I could see or hear this again!

Mister Fred

Reaction score
ssetta said:
I remember a scene with a magician pulling a long colorful something out of his little pocket. I haven't watched it in quite some time, as I don't have a clean copy, so I don't remember it that well. But I wish I could see or hear this again!
Thanks for your input ssetta. I believe I saw that scene you mentioned, but don't remember what happened in between. I've already listed what scenes & lyrics I remember. I would really like to see & hear this song / skit again so my grandma could see it. She has a bad habit of putting hankerchiefs / tissues in her pants waistband. She proably thinks it's her pocket. I want to find out all the lyrics to the song & all the scenes that were in it. Do you remember anything else?

truth66

Reaction score
Characters in the "Pockets" Song/Skit

Question? Was anyone from the cast from Sesame Street used in the "Pockets" skit? Or were they just regular actors. I don't remember seeing anyone from the cast in any of the scenes, but I could be wrong. It has been 25 years since I saw the skit.