1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Sesame Street films

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by mikebennidict, Mar 5, 2004.

1. SesameMike

SesameMike Member

This particular film was shown for a season or two after the first episode, but some later runs were shortened. Here's how to determine if you have an edited copy: Towards the end of the clip, you see a shot of a cow pasture with a transparent overlay of a string of milk cartons coming at you as if on an assembly line. In the original version, that fades into an actual scene of cartons on a conveyor belt like we'd seen earlier (in both versions). In the edited version, you see those ghost cartons for a second or two before they cut to another scene of cows or whatever.
  2. GeeBee

GeeBee New Member

Yeah, that cartoon kind of surprised me for its time. It seemed to border on scatological humor. LOL
  3. Rosewood

Rosewood New Member

Thanks for the corrections

I knew there were parts of this that I had missed and was hoping there was someone out there who could correct it. Thanks, SesameMike!:)
  4. Rosewood

Rosewood New Member

Want the words?

5. Rosewood

Rosewood New Member

Your thinking about the ball on the track for #3

This used to be another one of my favorites. I used to love watching the ball roll along this elaborate track with all sorts of twists and turns and things it would go through in sets of 3. I don't know when they re-did the ending either, because the one I remember seing was the first one, where the childs hand turns a handle on the box that the ball comes to rest in, and, as he counts "1, 2, 3,!", (one for each turn of the handle), his hand gets filled with a bunch of sand-like red powder (kind of giving you the impression that it's supposed to be the ball, all ground up!) And the music played does indeed sound like that which would come from an old pipe organ.:p
  6. Rosewood

Rosewood New Member

I used to get scared the guy wasn't going to make it!

I remember, on a few of the flips, it took him quite a bit of effort to rite himself again. As a kid, I remember being afraid he wasn't going to come up again. But, somehow, he always made it!
  7. Rosewood

Rosewood New Member

Who remembers the "Kids" song (by Joe Rapoze)?

I remember this song by heart. It goes:

"Cats.... have kittens.
    Dogies... have pups.
    Horses....have pretty foals.
    Sheep....have lambs.
    Cows have calfs; and I bet you didn't know...
    that elephants have calfs, too!
    Lions and leopards have cubs; which is the "proper" thing for them to do!

Peacocks....have chicks.
    Deer....have fawns.
    Ducks....have ducklings; often padding 'round the lawns!
    Pigs have piglets; and, in case you didn't know, here's another fact for you:
    Goats have kids; like people have kids; like me....and....you!

I think that last statement goes to show how young Joe was, at heart.:)
  8. Ziffel

Ziffel New Member

Thanks a lot for those words, Rosewood, that's awesome! Some of these words I couldn't make out when hearing it as a child so it's really neat seeing what all the lyrics were. I remember the tune and video so well so these words nicely "fit". It's always fun when can find out words like that (Like with "The Flintstones" learning what that difficult to make out line was - 'Through the courtesy of Fred's two feet!' ).
  9. Ziffel

Ziffel New Member

Yes I well remember this one too (though not as well as you did; I couldn't specify offhand all of the different animals mentioned in the piece!). This was also one segment I remember catching again around 1990. The one line that always stood out was, "I'll betcha didn't know, that elephants have calves too." I thought that was a neat fact to learn when I was little. The music was catchy too, like so many SS segments were.
  10. Rosewood

Rosewood New Member

Funny you should mention this........

You know, it's funny you should mention the fact that we tend to hear things different when were kids. When I first heard this song, and all the times I heard it as a kid, I always thought they were saying "Which come BIRD!"
    It wasn't until I was an adult, and had heard the old phrase quoted, that I caught on to what they were actually saying!:p
  11. SesameMike

SesameMike Member

Way back in the 70s, as the original Star Trek series reruns were waxing in cult-like popularity, my sister and I made up our own version of the above ditty (the last verse I added years later):

"Starship Enterprises... have tribbles.
    Captain Kirks... have Mr. Spocks.
    Dr. McCoys... have sick people; such as the flu, and the fever, common cold.
    Klingons have birds; and I bet you didn't know...
    that Romulans have birds, too!"

("Birds" (of prey) refers to the type of vessels used by Klingons and Romulans at the time)
  12. SesameMike

SesameMike Member

Birthday party with a piñata

In yet another installment from what seems to and endless repository of films (amazing how Sesame Street managed to produce so many in a short time), does anyone remember a film of a kid's birthday party that featured a piñata? I think 1974 was the year.

The film began with guests arriving at some kid's birthday party and giving presents -- one kid actually handed the celebrant a bouquet of flowers, though I can't remember the gender of the birthday child. Most of the film's action focused on the (what appeared to me at the time) huge pinata, a Mexican-themed tissue paper/paper mache donkey or some other animal. First it showed the parent hanging up the pinata from the ceiling. Then it showed the kids taking turns hitting the paper animal with a long stick. One kid dislodged the pinata from the ceiling. Finally, one kid hit the thing hard enough to sufficiently gouge it, so that the pinata's contents -- an assortment of toys and candy -- came cascading down on the floor. The film ended with the kids walking off with the spoils, which included some toy watches.

While this film may sound pretty simple (though I had never heard of a pinata beforehand and only learned the word later), it was the music that made this one incredibly exciting. There were three musical pieces used, each of which seemed to seamlessly follow the other.

1. A bold musical score with a definite 1812-Overture feel to it. This played as the guests entered and the pinata was set up.
    2. A score that screamed "and now things are getting exciting", early in the "goreing" part. It went "da-da-da-DA, da-da-da-dum. da-da-da-DA, da-da-da-dum. da-da-DA da-da-DA da-da-DA da-da-DA da-da-DA, da-da-da-dum."
    3. Probably a continuation of (2), the final "DA"s were held to the end of each measure. This played as the pinata met its demise.

The music then made a return to (1), and I think an epilogue score played as the kids walked off with the booty. Note that you could hear the kids in the background of the music, though few if any intelligible words could be deciphered.

I was actually slightly jealous of the fun the kids were having in this film, similar to how I felt about the kids on the farm with the combine harvester I described a few posts ago.
  13. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

it was a girl who was having the Bithday party and the music was Mexican sounding. I don't recall seeing it till the late 70s but then again as I once mentioned the film where Joe Raposo's singing It Takes a Lot of Little Nuts To Make a Jar of Peanut Butter I was told was an early film but I din't see it till the 80s.
  14. FragglettesMom

FragglettesMom New Member

Need address of CTW in New YORK City

This is where SS is taped,right? I have a relative in NYC for a couple of days , two more days. She is staying in Manhatten,would it be difficult for her to locate it if I get her the address tonight. Could she possibly get in the building, or just take a photo outside ?
  15. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

why are you posting this here?
  16. Ziffel

Ziffel New Member

Just wanted to say I've really been enjoying those lyrics to the "chicken and the egg" song, Rosewood. I printed them out a few days ago and now I have them memorized. Today I was singing them at times while mopping, etc. :)
    I sang it while walking down the hallway with a fellow custodian and he said, "Where did you hear that song from? It's pretty goofy!". Hee hee hee!
  17. Rosewood

Rosewood New Member

I've been singing it, too!

I've been singing it, off and on, for a while as well. My kids love it, but I will admit the first time I sang it in front of my husband, I think he thought I was crazy! But all I had to do was remind him that this is what happens when you wed a SS fanatic. Once he remembered that, he just shook his head and walked over to his desk-smiling!:p
  18. fuzzygobo

fuzzygobo Well-Known Member

I hope you get this in time. Sesame Street is taped at the Kaufman Astoria Studios, which is located in Queens, not Manhattan. The address is 34-12
    36th Street, Astoria, (Queens) NY 11106. Their phone # is (718)-392-5600.

I believe there is a lobby open to the general public, but not to the studio itself.

Sesame Street was taped at the Teletape Studio from 1969 to 1992 on the corner of Broadway and 81st Street, but it's a private residence now.

Hope this helps.
  19. Ziffel

Ziffel New Member

Remember one time a little girl was chewing bubblegum? Can't recall if it was a segment about blowing bubbles (not the classic 'b is for bubble' sketch). At the end though, this girl kept opening gum wrappers and putting the gum in her mouth. Someone off screen said something like, "If she puts any more gum in her mouth she's going to (blow up?) " LOL Not sure about those last two words but that's what it sounded like.
  20. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

that person says POW! when i was young I thought it was the bubble gum itself saying that.