Should Sesame Street continue after season 40?

Should it end?

• Yes, it's run its course.

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • No way! We need it!

Votes: 46 85.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Erine81981

Reaction score
I wouldn't ever want to see Sesame Street cancelled after all these years. Now if it were to be maybe there would be a classic channel for it to be showed on and older episodes might would be re-run with all of its episodes not being cut or edited. But hope to see it keep running when ever i have children.

Son of Enik

Reaction score
Sesame Street revolutionized TV and the way the medium is used to educate children. While I also yearn for the days of old, the show is obviously still popular and relevant. Sure the puppeteers and human actors are getting older, but so are we...the audience. As I am sure most of us here are, I am a devoted SS fan and always will be, but remember something here, the show is targeted at children. While we remember Jim's Ernie, Frank's Bert, Mr. Hooper and Roosevelt Franklin, today's preschoolers don't even have an idea about any of that or any of those characters.
A classic TV network (TV Land, for example) running the old episodes or more Old School DVD's for us veteran SS fans is great and at the same time, we get what we want and today's children still get out of the show what they want and more importantly, what they need.
So I guess my answer is no...do not cancel Sesame Street ever. It is still my favorite show in the history of Television and I'd like to see it out live me.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Son of Enik said:
As I am sure most of us here are, I am a devoted SS fan and always will be, but remember something here, the show is targeted at children. While we remember Jim's Ernie, Frank's Bert, Mr. Hooper and Roosevelt Franklin, today's preschoolers don't even have an idea about any of that or any of those characters.
I do agree, the children are most important. I just don't even think it's useful for children anymore. And there's no reason why kids wouldn't know about Jim's Ernie and Frank's Bert, or several other characters, if they would show them more in inserts. But they don't.

An article written following Richard Hunt's death said, "Richard's work will continue to live on in perpetual segment reruns plugged into the show on a daily basis for many years to come."

That really makes me sad, because again, this hasn't happened. The majority of the older stuff just disapeared. I don't know why. There is no indication kids wouldn't like them if they were given the chance to see them. I've seen plenty of children enjoy the older Sesame Street with no complaints. If you look on Amazon.com, kids enjoy the SS DVDs, whether they are 'modern' or not. I don't understand why the old and new characters can't be on the same show in that way.

It's just sad in general. People work hard all their lives to put out a decent product, only to be told their work is 'no longer needed', simply because it's old. We're not going to have anything in our culture worth preserving if we continue to think that way. :cry:

Still, it is nice that the DVDs and the Sesame Street Old School are available.

LincolnHeights

Reaction score
The show is getting old. And instead of seeing it undergo more drastic unneccasary changes (Like it has been doing for the past 15 years) and see it grow farther and farther away from its original format, now would be the best time to bring it to an end. There would be over 4200 reruns of the show, if the show ended after Season 40. Those shows could be shown to kids and there would be plenty of enough older episodes from Seasons 30-40 with Elmo's world with the same educational value there would be if they kept making newer episodes. They could also show episodes from the first 29 years for Nostalgic fans. Sesame Street has been around for long enough for it to be cancelled and still be enjoyed with the thousands upon thousands of reruns out there. The show is still a decent show now as of Season 37. It should end after Season 40, before it really runs itself into the ground.

LincolnHeights

Reaction score
heralde said:
An article written following Richard Hunt's death said, "Richard's work will continue to live on in perpetual segment reruns plugged into the show on a daily basis for many years to come."
They actually did air Richard's old segments for the first 10 years or so after his death. But in 2002 when they started the new format they cut way back on old classic inserts, due to the new predictable struture the show took on. So the new format, that everyone thought was so great ruined Richard's legacy. :eek:

Erine81981

Reaction score
I don't think it will ever run itself to the ground. It's like Son of Enik said that it would be cool to see it out live any of us older fans. That just mean to see it keep going till future needs aren't needed anymore. I want this show to out live even the 90's fans of Sesame Street. We need our muppets to live but we know it can't last forever but i know for sure it will still be on even when i'm in my 90's. Keep it coming Sesame Workshop! :stick_out_tongue: :frown:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
LincolnHeights said:
They actually did air Richard's old segments for the first 10 years or so after his death. But in 2002 when they started the new format they cut way back on old classic inserts, due to the new predictable struture the show took on.
Yeah I guess that's true, it was when the format was changed that it happened.

So the new format, that everyone thought was so great ruined Richard's legacy. :eek:
Well, thankfully the SS DVDs do feature him a lot. And again, I've seen kids want them, even if there are no 'modern' characters on the cover.

travellingpat

Reaction score
Guys why do we want SS to end? its still helping a bunch of kids...why end it?!?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well, it's just that that's where we disagree (respectfully). :smile:

Though, I did say before, it should probably stay on, just to keep it in the public eye. And I honestly don't care if they change formats, make them longer etc. That's fine, whatever. But there was no reason to put everything that came before it aside.

Erine81981

Reaction score
If they would bring back like "Forgetful Jones" and "Placido Flamingo" since they've brought back Gladys and the Two Headed Monster. That would be cool. If anyone remembers Forgetful's voice wasn't the same when he first appeared. He had a differnt preformer before Richard got him. Also if they would bring back Guy Smiley that would be cool to see. I have computer game that has him on there and someone else is providing the voice and he sounds really good. He still to me kind of sounds like Jim's verison but with a little younger sound to it.