Should Sesame Street continue after season 40?

Should it end?

• Yes, it's run its course.

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • No way! We need it!

Votes: 46 85.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Erine81981 said:
Also if they would bring back Guy Smiley that would be cool to see. I have computer game that has him on there and someone else is providing the voice and he sounds really good. He still to me kind of sounds like Jim's verison but with a little younger sound to it.
That sounds cool! (I have to learn how to play computer games...heh). Yeah, whether it was one of the old inserts or a different performer, it's a good idea.

LincolnHeights

Reaction score
Your'e right, Forgetful did have a different voice originally. I read at Muppet Wiki that from 1980-1982 someone named Michael Earl Davis performed him. He also performed Snuffy during that same time as well. Notice in episode 1575 (the one were Mr. Rogers visits) he sounds nothing like Jerry or Marty's snuffy. I would be happy if Forgetful was replaced. But he's been gone for so long now, I wonder if a new forgetful would last. They tried bringing Gladys back a few years ago, but it didn't seem to work.

muppet maniac

Reaction score
Do I think that Sesame Street should be canceled after its 40th season?

Let me put it this way: To me, the "good years" were 1969-1978--well, 1969-1974 being extra crunchy--er, good. Well, 1969-78 was the best time period. But yeah, I agree: whatever goes up must go down eventually. I mean, good things can't last forever (and by that, I mean TV shows) nor should they. Otherwise they'd wind up stale and hard to even enjoy.

Usually, when a new TV show happens, everyone would think: "Oh, I like this. This is good..." As it hits season two, there may be a few changes, and there's some mixed thoughts, but that doesn't matter, because it's still good. Then, usually by the 10th season (MAXIMUM), it'd go ripe, and rot like overexpired cheese.

Look at Scooby Doo: Fans thought the good years were 1969-1978 (or 9, I forgot which). When it first came about, they were into it. There were new spin-offs after the original-few people would have had mixed reactions, but then they'd all agree that it was in the very late 70s that it all got flushed down the toilet (and we all know why)

The Simpsons: the early episodes (Seasons 1-3) were great, as most thought, but as it progressed, there'd be mixed thoughts and by as later as the 11th season, it went downhill. Personally, I disagree with that: Okay, I thought the earlier shows were great, because they had more feeling, emotion, etc. but the newer ones are funnier than ever.

Updating classics from the past is also kinda awkward (well, to me anyway). Take, The Electric Company, for instance: It's lasted for 7 seasons (1971-1977) And years later (now), they're going to revive it. I say, just leave it alone---leave it as it was. it just isn't worth it. But then again, what can you do?

So should Sesame Street go? We know that most of the cast members are getting old, and plus I don't think they can keep up with it FOREVER. So, I wouldn't mind if it was canceled.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
LincolnHeights said:
I would be happy if Forgetful was replaced. But he's been gone for so long now, I wonder if a new forgetful would last. They tried bringing Gladys back a few years ago, but it didn't seem to work.
I could be totally wrong, but to me Gladys was a character that really relied on its performer, it would just be difficult to do it well with someone else. Not that Forgetful didn't rely on his performer, but his personality was pretty well defined.

I honestly wouldn't mind if it was a different performer, at least then a part of Richard's work would (as the article said) "continue to live on...on a daily basis for many years to come." As I said on the previous page, it's just really sad to me that Richard's work is no longer seen.

I agree with what muppet maniac said, even good TV shows can jump the shark. And it doesn't matter how long a show has been on the air, but how good it was. It's really not being disloyal to the show to think it's jumped the shark. It's acknowledging when it was at its best for kids.

I think what it comes down to is, I don't necessarily want SS to be cancelled. I'd want it to be doing better (yes, for the kids). There's no reason why the old and new can't be combined.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Well there are arguments for and against the end of Sesame Street naturally.
On the one hand I do agree that it would be sad to see it end after all the joy and education it's given to kiddies (and some adults:smile: ) over its nearly 40 years.

Then again as pointed out the cast members and the Muppeteers aren't going to be able to work on it forever either through health problems or the final eventuality that must befall us all, and the big question is Can the show outlive the original people behind it?

Others may be successful in keeping it alive. Then again maybe not. We won't know until if or when it is tried one day. But seriously I'd love to see an attempt to keep it going strong at least.:smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
How DARE you think Sesame Street should be ended after it's 40th season!

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I really do think that that have to do some serious brain storming about the future of this American institution after season 40, though.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
muppet maniac said:
Do I think that Sesame Street should be canceled after its 40th season?

Let me put it this way: To me, the "good years" were 1969-1978--well, 1969-1974 being extra crunchy--er, good. Well, 1969-78 was the best time period. But yeah, I agree: whatever goes up must go down eventually. I mean, good things can't last forever (and by that, I mean TV shows) nor should they. Otherwise they'd wind up stale and hard to even enjoy.

Usually, when a new TV show happens, everyone would think: "Oh, I like this. This is good..." As it hits season two, there may be a few changes, and there's some mixed thoughts, but that doesn't matter, because it's still good. Then, usually by the 10th season (MAXIMUM), it'd go ripe, and rot like overexpired cheese.

Look at Scooby Doo: Fans thought the good years were 1969-1978 (or 9, I forgot which). When it first came about, they were into it. There were new spin-offs after the original-few people would have had mixed reactions, but then they'd all agree that it was in the very late 70s that it all got flushed down the toilet (and we all know why)

The Simpsons: the early episodes (Seasons 1-3) were great, as most thought, but as it progressed, there'd be mixed thoughts and by as later as the 11th season, it went downhill. Personally, I disagree with that: Okay, I thought the earlier shows were great, because they had more feeling, emotion, etc. but the newer ones are funnier than ever.

Updating classics from the past is also kinda awkward (well, to me anyway). Take, The Electric Company, for instance: It's lasted for 7 seasons (1971-1977) And years later (now), they're going to revive it. I say, just leave it alone---leave it as it was. it just isn't worth it. But then again, what can you do?

So should Sesame Street go? We know that most of the cast members are getting old, and plus I don't think they can keep up with it FOREVER. So, I wouldn't mind if it was canceled.
What the SS cast getting old have to do with anything? And they can keep SS going as long as they want to and as long as there's an audience and support for it then leave it alone.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
I really do think that that have to do some serious brain storming about the future of this American institution after season 40, though.
I agree, it's not something to be taken lightly. Some kids do still watch SS, but there are other shows that are more popular now.

It's weird, we have this kind of debate about SS over and over again. And every time we just end up saying the same things over and over, as though it were the first time. I honestly think that we (myself included) don't often listen to each other. Someone posts their opinion and that's that. Then someone else posts their opinion. It's like we're not even hearing what the previous person said. It's not really like a discussion, we're just talking at each other.

I'm not trying to be rude, everyone's got something important to say. I'm just saying I think we could come to some form of peace on the topic if we talked to each other more. :smile: