Should Sesame Street continue after season 40?

Should it end?

• Yes, it's run its course.

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • No way! We need it!

Votes: 46 85.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I do agree with you about that, We just talk at each other instead of talking to each other. I admit to being guilty of this. I believe that maybe we could actually come to a new conclusion andaccomplish something it we actually communicated with each other a little more often.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Bill Bubble Guy said:
Well there are arguments for and against the end of Sesame Street naturally.
On the one hand I do agree that it would be sad to see it end after all the joy and education it's given to kiddies (and some adults:smile: ) over its nearly 40 years.

Then again as pointed out the cast members and the Muppeteers aren't going to be able to work on it forever either through health problems or the final eventuality that must befall us all, and the big question is Can the show outlive the original people behind it?

Others may be successful in keeping it alive. Then again maybe not. We won't know until if or when it is tried one day. But seriously I'd love to see an attempt to keep it going strong at least.:smile:
I agree with William that we need to talk to each other more conversationally. I did try to state my points and feelings very clearly as you can see in my own post that I've quoted. If people would reply to me personally about what I've said asking me questions and/or giving their own opinions as to why they agree or disagree with what I posted then this would be a meaningful discussion.
Why don't we give our discussion threads a proper go my friends?
It would be much more productive and far greater fun and enjoyment.:smile:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Then again as pointed out the cast members and the Muppeteers aren't going to be able to work on it forever either through health problems or the final eventuality that must befall us all, and the big question is Can the show outlive the original people behind it?
Yeah it'll be weird if all the original castmembers are gone. It's sort of touching how the characters now have kids who are sort of taking over the roles.

Well again I think it's not important how long a show lasted, but how good it was. Programs like game shows and soap operas have lasted so long because, while they occasionally change with the times, they stick to the basic formula. Sesame Street certainly needs to change with the times too (and it has), but not at the expense of losing what it is.

The "35 Anniversary special" was very telling. The history of the show is not going to be talked about, it's as though it never existed. And there's no reason for it, again, kids do enjoy the old stuff too, even though they barely get to see it.

Teheheman

Reaction score
I think that they should end it before it gets to be too much about Elmo, and not enough of the classic characters that we all got to know and love. I think that it's the Elmo show with guest spots of everybody else. I'm not saying that they should end it completely, I think they should put on the earlier episodes(when it was about being edu-tainment) or just basically put some of them on DVD like they are now in installments. Like a Time-Life series of educational videos. Sesame Street: Reading, Sesame Street: Letters, etc. I do think that it helps children, but I don't want it to be spoiled by one character because that character makes money. That's what ruins some shows, when it comes too much about one character because of that characters popularity that they run it into the ground. That and how much can ya do the same numbers and letters over and over again, and keep it fresh?

Daniel

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Teheheman said:
I think that they should end it before it gets to be too much about Elmo, and not enough of the classic characters that we all got to know and love. I think that it's the Elmo show with guest spots of everybody else.
If you go to the children's section in the bookstore, all the SS books are required to have Elmo on the cover, even if it's not all about him (at least it seems that way). We say kids won't appreciate the old characters, but they aren't even being given a chance to like them. Kids who aren't interested in Elmo's World aren't given any other options. I just don't understand why people say kids wouldn't like the old stuff when many actually do.

Oh and thanks William and Marty for agreeing about the talking more conversationally. :smile:

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
heralde said:
Yeah it'll be weird if all the original castmembers are gone. It's sort of touching how the characters now have kids who are sort of taking over the roles.
Oh and thanks William and Marty for agreeing about the talking more conversationally
You're quite welcome heralde.
And that's a relevant point you've brought up. Perhaps the producers are hoping to present the show in such a way that in theory the next Sesame Street generation can carry the series on further.
Well who knows. Nothing ventured. Nothing gained.:smile:

Erine81981

Reaction score
It would be great to see some older skits but don't forget we also have the whole questions if kids the ages they are today will want to sit through all the stuff we sat through when we were their age. My youngest neice doen't want to sit through all the stuff i grew up with. Now she does like older characters and all but that's just because most of them are still around. Now i would love to see more Cookie, Herry, Grover and other newer monsters that have bee add to do skits like back in the old days. Here is one thing i think would have been cool if they would have kept him on the show still. If Kermit was still on the show. Grover could still pester him with buying stuff. Cookie would have froggy to play games with and as well as other characters who hung out with Kermit. If Kermit was still on Sesame Street it would still seem like a likeable show. Now don't get me wrong i do watch every year to see new stuff and songs so i'm not saying it's all down hill i still enjoy watching it. But it would be more to enjoy if they could have kept most of the older 80's characters on the show other then putting them as background characters.

That's my two cents.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It really depends on who you talk to. As I've said, there are other kids who do genuniely enjoy classic Sesame Street. Plus other kids aren't even being given the chance to see if they like them. They should be given the same amount of attention. :smile:

Well, I've said it what I wanted to say many times, I'm taking a break from this thread for now. :smile:

somethingofafan

Reaction score
Don't forget, Sesame Street isn't just a show, it's a laboratory. As long as the research is current (and PBS doesn't run out of money) they should be able to continue for a long time. Besides, if the show were in danger of going away, we wouldn't be seeing all these ancillary materials (Beginnings, etc.)

Besides, if you think what we've got is not focused on the older characters, talk to some of the people who grew up with some of the international versions. The US still has remaining from the first episode:

Five frequently appearing muppet characters (two still played mostly by the original performer, two occasionally by the original performer, and one whose deceased original performer still shows up in occasional older segments)

Three human characters (a regular played by a different performer, a semi-frequent appearer played by the original performer, and an occasional character played by the original performer)

And two buildings.

Sure, it's not the same show we grew up with, but it is still, in my opinion, a strong show. It's just that it's a laboratory, not a museum.

Erine81981

Reaction score
You know as you were saying this i almost forgot to mention i think we need a new human character to come live on Sesame Street. You know how new human characters would pop up and then go. I think we need a new human character. What would ya'll think about that?