1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Should Sesame Street continue after season 40?

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by LincolnHeights, Mar 9, 2007.

?

Should it end?

Poll closed Mar 12, 2008.
  1. Yes, it's run its course.

8 vote(s)
    14.8%
  2. No way! We need it!

46 vote(s)
    85.2%

1. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Well a lot of fans don't mind Elmo as a character, they just object to his monopolizing the show. Plus, the show in general is a bit more childish in its humor now, unlike the "old school" which tried to expose kids to grown up humor and references. In The Works book, it talks about how Jim Henson recognized kids could be a "sophisticated audience." And Richard Hunt said at Jim's memorial, "The Muppets touched the part of kids that was grown up."
  2. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

Exactly! When I watched the show as a girl, the characters didn't talk down to me just because I was a child. Yes, I liked the nursery-rhyme and cartoon material, but my enjoyment didn't end there. I felt as if I were part of everything that happened on the Street, even when the adults joked about adult life. Only one Muppet (Cookie Monster) had anything close to a toddler's speech patterns, but that was OK; hearing the child characters talk in everyday English gave me a real feeling for language. It's a shame that Sesame Workshop has lost faith in children's ability to understand and learn from the whole world--not just the child-customized aspects of the world.
  3. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Honestly, I think they were feeling the competition from other kids shows, it's a tough business. One of the drawbacks of trying to put education on television, you have to depend on the ratings.
  4. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

That is very true and I can see how you have to take that into consideration. It's like a good and bad thing at the same time. They originally wanted a lot more shows similar to come out, but they ended up having to compete with them. But I guess that's how it works out sometimes, I suppose.
  5. muppet baby

muppet baby Active Member

:) Oh well yes i know what you mean about aduilt humor and exposeing kids to that to a point , there are some great kids programs that can do that i ran across some those as a child of the 1980s he he he he .

There where several series of movies in the that time frame that she did that .
    They were great , all in all sesme street i hope that it will be around for years to come .:)
  6. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Me to, Michelle! I think most of us here do!:)
  7. muppet baby

Wonderful william , :)
  8. Speed Tracer

Speed Tracer Well-Known Member

I say no. There is a reason that Sesame Street has been on the air for forty years.
  9. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

I know. It's really to much of an American institution to have to end. and even a world wide one.
  10. bigjeffy

bigjeffy New Member

I changed my mind

I really think it should stay.I think it has been dumbed down a bit but kids need Sesame Street.They need to know there letters and numbers.
  11. JEANYLASER

JEANYLASER Member

i love Sesame Street.
  12. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

If they kill Sesame Street, I'll kill myself!

*Knows his enemies are reading this and are now going to do everything in their power to put Sesame Street to an end.*
  13. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Aww, that'll never happen Snowthy. But man! You must really love that show, don't ya?
  14. D'Snowth

Well, Sesame Street is, has been, and hopefully always will be a big part of my life, and I'd sure hate to see it suddenly come to an end.
  15. ssetta

ssetta Active Member

I felt that same way when Sesame Street Unpaved was being taken off of Noggin!
  16. muppet baby

I know how you feel really sesme street is so cool . i love it is a really big part of my life and such a comfort .

i just love it , as i do everything else muppet .:) ! i just wish i had not stayed away from sesme street so long as a kid but better late than never to come back . i had to stay way do to time from 90 to now but i am so glad that i am back !
  17. D'Snowth

We need Sesame Street more than we realize.
  18. muppet baby

:)

Amen to that D'snowth i totally agree !
  19. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

So do i Snowthy. I would hate to see it go and to see it just fade off into oblivion and never heard of again. So please keep this on the air enough for me to get married and have at least 1 child to bring up and to be able to watch Sesame Street too.
  20. muppet baby

i say amen to that as well i want it to be around with new eposides when i have kids also :)