Should Sesame Street continue after season 40?

Should it end?

• Yes, it's run its course.

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • No way! We need it!

Votes: 46 85.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Convincing John

Reaction score
muppet maniac said:
Let me put it this way: To me, the "good years" were 1969-1978--well, 1969-1974 being extra crunchy--er, good. Well, 1969-78 was the best time period. But yeah, I agree: whatever goes up must go down eventually. I mean, good things can't last forever (and by that, I mean TV shows) nor should they. Otherwise they'd wind up stale and hard to even enjoy.

Look at Scooby Doo: Fans thought the good years were 1969-1978 (or 9, I forgot which). When it first came about, they were into it. There were new spin-offs after the original-few people would have had mixed reactions, but then they'd all agree that it was in the very late 70s that it all got flushed down the toilet (and we all know why)
Why, whatever do you mean? :wink:

muppet maniac said:
Updating classics from the past is also kinda awkward (well, to me anyway). Take, The Electric Company, for instance: It's lasted for 7 seasons (1971-1977) And years later (now), they're going to revive it. I say, just leave it alone---leave it as it was. it just isn't worth it. But then again, what can you do?
Man, I hope they don't try that! The Electric Company is simply unmatched, as Rita Moreno said. They tried re-doing Captain Kangaroo, and Bob Keeshan (the original Captain) had nothing to do with it. It flopped!!! It didn't work, and the kids didn't take to it at all. The new version was watered down and lacked that original Captain Kangaroo spirit. Any attempts to re-make The Electric Company will have none of the original appeal (nor degree of progressiveness in the material) as the original.

Remakes (or is that rehashes?) of originals (like many movie sequels) just don't have that spark that the originals had (and still have!). They have done this a million times in making movies based on old TV shows. Car 54 Where Are You?, The Addams Family I & II, Bewitched, The Brady Bunch I & II, etc. If Kermit watched them he'd mumble that saying he kept repeating in TMTM "There's something missing..."

You bet there is.

Has PBS done good stuff? Yes! If they are worried about teaching phonics, stick with putting their money in "Between the Lions". It works, kids like it, and it teaches phonics, just like TEC. The Electric Company was (and is) a great show for kids. They want to re-air the old episodes? Cool! They want to remake and revamp the formula, create sloppily and crudely drawn animated segments (like so much of Cartoon Network's fare) and leave out all the wit and charm of the original series? (Shudder!)

There is only one Easy Reader. There is only one Fargo North Decoder. There is only one Jennifer of the Jungle. And there is only one woman who could belt out that famous opening line with such lung power and passion for her work. And even if the original cast did get back together and perform the show...could the magic of the series come back?

As for Sesame Street? Should it be cancelled? If so, when? That is up to the decision of Sesame Workshop. Only they can really say. If kids get something out of it, if they still learn from it, if they want to continue, then...they will.

It's like how Jim said "If the audience wants these characters to continue, then they will, but if not, they'll just (Jim smiles) go away."

The age of the human cast may be a factor. Maybe not. Maybe Bob will still be on the street until he's 112:crazy: and Maria and Luis might apply for Social Security checks (which Grover will deliver to their apartment). (Hey, they've dealt with all kinds of other topics, why not retirement?) Maybe Gabi will inherit the Fix-It Shop in Season 56.

Who knows what will become of Sesame Street in the future? Sesame Workshop will have to make the call.

Convincing John

somethingofafan

Reaction score
Well, with only twenty-six episodes a year, they have trouble getting enough use out of the humans they have.

Besides, didn't they just add Marco?

Erine81981

Reaction score
They did but i would either like another teenager type character like Savion or Petey. I just think if they would also put some teens back in the show (other then Miles and Gabi) they might get some teenagers back into the show. That's all i'm saying.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Probably a good idea to introduce some new human cast members every once in a while. It sure would potentially help the show stay running. :smile:

Erine81981

Reaction score
Bill Bubble Guy said:
Probably a good idea to introduce some new human cast members every once in a while. It sure would potentially help the show stay running. :smile:
Thank you Marty. That's how is see it. I want at least two new teenagers or someone whos around their early 20's.

LincolnHeights

Reaction score
It's funny that you mention this Ernie, because I recently found out in Season 38, there will be a new cast member. His name is Chris, and he is a young African American, who is a good friend of Miles. I heard he will be very similar to David (played by the late great Northen Calloway) so it's good that theyr'e adding new life to the show this coming up Season.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Cool can't wait to see it and glad to hear that. Thanks LincolnHeights.

muppet maniac

Reaction score
Why, whatever do you mean?

Well, a lot of Scooby fans have said that Scrappy killed the entire show (in the same way as Elmo, as they thought). But I wasn't exactly sure what I thought of him. I have to admit that I was kinda upset that they made Scrappy the "villain" in the first movie. I mean, come on, that was a mean, cruel thing they did. Now, imagine what would happen if they've done the same to Elmo, who I do not hate at all.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Your welcome heralde!:big_grin:

Scrappy as the main bad guy hehehe!:zany:

Miles is gitting a new friend like David, cool!:smile:

I not going to worring about Sesame Street future to much anymore. Sonia Monzano said it best when she said that like real life, people are able to change and move on just like people in real life do, so the show just makes to much sense to me.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Convincing John said:
Why, whatever do you mean? :wink:

Man, I hope they don't try that! The Electric Company is simply unmatched, as Rita Moreno said. They tried re-doing Captain Kangaroo, and Bob Keeshan (the original Captain) had nothing to do with it. It flopped!!! It didn't work, and the kids didn't take to it at all. The new version was watered down and lacked that original Captain Kangaroo spirit. Any attempts to re-make The Electric Company will have none of the original appeal (nor degree of progressiveness in the material) as the original.

Remakes (or is that rehashes?) of originals (like many movie sequels) just don't have that spark that the originals had (and still have!). They have done this a million times in making movies based on old TV shows. Car 54 Where Are You?, The Addams Family I & II, Bewitched, The Brady Bunch I & II, etc. If Kermit watched them he'd mumble that saying he kept repeating in TMTM "There's something missing..."

You bet there is.

Has PBS done good stuff? Yes! If they are worried about teaching phonics, stick with putting their money in "Between the Lions". It works, kids like it, and it teaches phonics, just like TEC. The Electric Company was (and is) a great show for kids. They want to re-air the old episodes? Cool! They want to remake and revamp the formula, create sloppily and crudely drawn animated segments (like so much of Cartoon Network's fare) and leave out all the wit and charm of the original series? (Shudder!)

There is only one Easy Reader. There is only one Fargo North Decoder. There is only one Jennifer of the Jungle. And there is only one woman who could belt out that famous opening line with such lung power and passion for her work. And even if the original cast did get back together and perform the show...could the magic of the series come back?

As for Sesame Street? Should it be cancelled? If so, when? That is up to the decision of Sesame Workshop. Only they can really say. If kids get something out of it, if they still learn from it, if they want to continue, then...they will.

It's like how Jim said "If the audience wants these characters to continue, then they will, but if not, they'll just (Jim smiles) go away."

The age of the human cast may be a factor. Maybe not. Maybe Bob will still be on the street until he's 112:crazy: and Maria and Luis might apply for Social Security checks (which Grover will deliver to their apartment). (Hey, they've dealt with all kinds of other topics, why not retirement?) Maybe Gabi will inherit the Fix-It Shop in Season 56.

Who knows what will become of Sesame Street in the future? Sesame Workshop will have to make the call.

Convincing John
I don't see the point of an EC revival since they already have a rwading series on PBS called Between The Lions.