Should the Muppets retire?

Beauregard

Reaction score
Yes, let's leave that argument behind us. Mwoo, Bear, can you please either leave it, or fight it out in PM's.

On the topic, I agree with Bear that Johnny And Sal should become bigger characters. I look forward to seeing them more. And to seeing Mwoo with them in.

Beau

BEAR

Reaction score
Beauregard said:
Yes, let's leave that argument behind us. Mwoo, Bear, can you please either leave it, or fight it out in PM's.

On the topic, I agree with Bear that Johnny And Sal should become bigger characters. I look forward to seeing them more. And to seeing Mwoo with them in.

Beau
Thank you, Beau. I have already decided to just drop it. I will not continue it on the forums as it is inappropriate for something so ridiculous and immature to begin with. So dropped as of this post as far as I'm concerned (well, really the other last post).

I thought Bobo would become a bigger character, but he hasn;t really. I mean, he had a pretty good size role in MFS, but other than that...I wouldnt mind more Bobo.

unclematt

Reaction score
I think the general opinon is that the Muppets should not retire.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I always foudn Bobo annying....I guess I didn't see the point in him, since we already have a share of kind'a thick charcters. still his line, "A goat?" is priceless. And the banana sandwich...

unclematt

Reaction score
Beauregard said:
I always foudn Bobo annying....I guess I didn't see the point in him, since we already have a share of kind'a thick charcters. still his line, "A goat?" is priceless. And the banana sandwich...
I agree. It seemed like I was unable to get attached to him.

That Announcer

Reaction score
Beauregard said:
"Ri'. I kill you now!"

Bobo could well be my favorite Bill Barretta character. I was always really surprised that they didn't develop his character beyond MFS too much.

MWoO

Reaction score
The problem with Bobo mightb e that he was a dim character in a sea of new dim characters on MT. If we didn't have Andy and Ramdy and Phil and Spamela taking up all the stupid, Bobo might have worked out better ae THE dim one. He's a rather good character really. The voice and personality are all really good and Bill is a fantastic performer.

The problem is you can either have Bobo or Rowlf, but not both. Bill's Rowlf and Bobo are simoply too close. Personally? I think I might like to have Bobo. Maybe it's because we've been without Rowlf for so long anyway, we might as well keep Bobo.

I do think the muppets could use some refreshing. Maybe retiering certain characters is a good idea after all. I mean, do we really need the Electric Mayhem if they aren't going to use them? Why not introduce an all new band and develope their characters instead of hanging on to the old band that is pretty much out dated? I think that alone would refresh the muppets.

You will always need Fozzie, Kermit, Piggy, Gonzo, and maybe Animal. You don't need the Electric Mayhem anymore, especially when the performers/writers won't commit to the characters.

So instead of throwing out all of the characters, why not just spruce them up a bit?

BEAR

Reaction score
Well, in a way, it kinda seems like the EM has slowly started retiring anyway. They are a little outdated I guess, even though they are totally awesome. Again, can't get rid of the core group or Fozzie, Kermit, Gonzo and Piggy.

Notice that lately, what was previously considered secondary characters have been pushed more into the limelight. I mean, since Jim Henson left us, Sam Eagle, Bunsen and Beaker (and probably more I can't think of) are now seen so much more. They have larger roles in the films than they ever had before...especially Sam. So they are still fresh in that we get to see more of characters that we just sorta saw in the back overshadowed by others. They have more star power and we get to learn more about them.

That Announcer

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Notice that lately, what was previously considered secondary characters have been pushed more into the limelight. I mean, since Jim Henson left us, Sam Eagle, Bunsen and Beaker (and probably more I can't think of) are now seen so much more. They have larger roles in the films than they ever had before...especially Sam. So they are still fresh in that we get to see more of characters that we just sorta saw in the back overshadowed by others. They have more star power and we get to learn more about them.
And that's the way it should be. I've always felt that before Jim and Richard died, the minor characters were so minor that it hurt and there were a lot of characters that were used way, way too much. Fine examples of this latter category include Rowlf, Dr. Teeth and Animal. You're right that the EM have slowly started retiring, which may not be a good thing, but it could be a blessing in disguise. I've learned through watching many Muppet productions that when the EM is not present in full, the individual members are present in one way or another. So this means we may get a lot more of Janice and Zoot in the near future. :smile:

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Gosh BEAR, I never thought of it that way. I've been so busy missing Rowlf that I haven't really paid attention to the other characters who have been stepping up. That's a good way to look at it. I think I'll still miss some of the other characters, but still... a very good point indeed.