Should the Muppets retire?

BEAR

Reaction score
MWoO said:
You have some issues you need to work out.

Regis does not do the same thing Leno does. Regis sits and has inane banter with some annoying chick on a Dailey basis. Leno is an actual comedian that does not pander to middle aged house wives. Big big difference.
I just mean they both have celebrity talk shows. I did say they were a little different. The point I was trying to make was the fact that it was daytime, which is interesting.

So...what are my issues? This is really amusing.

MWoO

Reaction score
BEAR said:
So...what are my issues?
I duno, maybe it has something to do with you snapping at me because you daddy doesn't understand you. That seems like quite an issue.

balana

Reaction score
Going a little more on topic...

I, personally, can't stand to watch the modern Sesame Street. A lot of that has to do with the little red fuzzy terror. It's not only that though. I do understand Frogster's point that a lot of things made these days is aimed at kids. It's not that it wasn't aimed at kids in the 70s and 80s either, but it's just that in general, it seems like a lot of children's programming is filled with fluff. The reformatting of SS, the new characters they add, the personality alterations they make to classic characters... It's all so they don't scare children, or make it too sophistocated for them, or whatever. Never mind the fact that it was doing just fine for the 20 years that Jim was around, and the few years after his death when things were kept more or less the same. I think it's this dumbing down that leads to things made these days being less enjoyable by adults. How many of the classic clips can we watch these days and not only go 'I remember that!' but realize just how cute and fun it really was? (How many of those clips do they still show these days?)

I think it applies to the rest of the things the Muppets have done since then, but SS is just the easiest example since it runs daily. If they wouldn't treat kids as being as dumb as a box of rocks it would probably be a lot easier to find their new ventures interesting for adults too. For now we'll just have to wait and see and hope it gets better.

Bootsy

Reaction score
No I don't think so.

I don't think that the muppets will retire and why would they with the amount of people that have and will continue to have the love for the muppets. :smile: :cool:

Frogster

Reaction score
MWoO said:
I duno, maybe it has something to do with you snapping at me because you daddy doesn't understand you. That seems like quite an issue.
Dude, maybe you should lay off, MWoO... you're the one that seems a little sensative about things. Bear was trying to be nice about the situation.

Bear, don't listen to that... if you like Sesame Street, knock yourself out. Personally, I like to, from time to time, I like to see if I can catch stuff on there from when I was little. But like Balana said, most of the stuff on there, to me, isn't enjoyable anymore.

Balana, thank you very much... that's exactly what I was trying to say.

I can see that MWoO is one of the people who just gets excited when he hears about a new Muppet project, but then when he hears that it stinks, he probably plugs his ears and yells, "la la la la la la la la, I can't hear you!" Some people are afraid to see things for what they are. You know, denial. Like someone mentioned earlier, how many things have the Muppets done since Jim's death that have been memorable? Like, "Happy Feet" memorable? The Muppets are dying. We really need something worth watching to bring both adults and kids back to loving them. I seem to be a lot like forum member Bear. My dad isn't thrilled about me liking Muppets at this age, and when he sees it, I know he's just as embarrassed of me as I am of myself at that moment.

Frogster

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
no your family is wrong The Muppets are aimed at people of all ages.
Mike Bennidict, they may be intended to be aimed towards all ages, but it isn't. For instance, I don't know of a whole lot of people around here who say to themselves, "Mmmm, let's see, there's a Muppet program on tonight, but so is a new episode of Family Guy. Let's watch Muppets!" My family has a very good sense of humor and knows what real entertainment is.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
I get very excited when I see a new muppet production, but when people say it stinks I don't plug my ears and say "la la la la la I can't hear you!" I just accept that they're trying, and maybe not doing the best they could. But I still enjoy it.

...then again, I'm pretty easily amused... <ahem> anyway.

BEAR

Reaction score
Frogster said:
Dude, maybe you should lay off, MWoO... you're the one that seems a little sensative about things. Bear was trying to be nice about the situation.

Bear, don't listen to that... if you like Sesame Street, knock yourself out. Personally, I like to, from time to time, I like to see if I can catch stuff on there from when I was little. But like Balana said, most of the stuff on there, to me, isn't enjoyable anymore.

I can see that MWoO is one of the people who just gets excited when he hears about a new Muppet project, but then when he hears that it stinks, he probably plugs his ears and yells, "la la la la la la la la, I can't hear you!" Some people are afraid to see things for what they are. You know, denial. Like someone mentioned earlier, how many things have the Muppets done since Jim's death that have been memorable? Like, "Happy Feet" memorable? The Muppets are dying. We really need something worth watching to bring both adults and kids back to loving them. I seem to be a lot like forum member Bear. My dad isn't thrilled about me liking Muppets at this age, and when he sees it, I know he's just as embarrassed of me as I am of myself at that moment.
Thanks, Frogster. Yeah, I was trying to be nice and I even apologized and explained where I was coming from. And my family is perfectly fine, MWoO, and even if it wasn't it is none of your business, because you don't even know who I am. So, I am just gonna let it go and forget about it. Thanks everyone else (the 98% of the forum that i have mentioned before)for being so kind.

BEAR

Reaction score
Frogster said:

Right, but for me it isn't necessarily just the Muppets. Its the SS Muppets in particular. I think he appreciates the reg Muppets a little more. Its not like he puts down SS, he just doesnt necessarily see some of the same things the rest of us do in them besides whats on the surface. My mom gets it, but Mom;s usually do right.

That Announcer

Reaction score
Frogster said:
OK, for starters, what you said about MWoO was really rude. Secondly, most of the people here would rather watch a new Muppet production than "Family Guy". For myself at least it would be no contest.