Slackbot draws stuff

Slackbot

Reaction score
Wow, nobody recognized Huey Duck's hat.

I'm switching to a different computer, and as part of the transition I've installed an old Wacom tablet. Oh man, why have I not been using that all this time? When I think of all the arm-and shoulder-aches I've gotten while drawing fur and hair... This may actually enable me to get Wembley's koosh-ball hairdo right!

Son of Fraggle Doodles: Yep, another ding dong doodle dump. Some from The Mamas and The Papas, some from a future fic titled "Wandering Heart," and a little randomness.

Artpad Sketch: Wembley Fraggle: an inked version of the Wembley-as-Schleprock pic from the aforementioned doodle dump. My first attempt at inking onscreen. I didn't expect much, and it turned out better than I expected.

Live a Little! Ring the Bells! This is my favorite image from Trials and Tintinnabulations. It was one of the first scenes that came clear in my mind, and one of the first I sketched out. So why am I only getting around to doing a real version of it now? No idea. This is the first one I painted up with the Wacom, and I love using it for hair and fur textures. I wish I could have drawn SideBoober in a fur coat.

Slackbot

Reaction score
This thread is starting to remind me of a certain Simon & Garfunkel song.

Cantus the Minstrel is gonna figure heavily in my next story, so I figured I'd better bite the bullet and learn to draw him. I admit, I've been intimidated by him. He's hard to find reference material for, and his expression is kinda weird. (I think he usually looks tired; my drawing has a more hung-over vibe, I'm afraid.) Hopefully I'll be comfortable with him by the time I start writing him.

Slackbot

Reaction score
It is a slide whistle. Cantus played some sort of mouth-harp thing in "Mokey and The Minstrels," and in "The Honk of Honks" he didn't approve of the title until it contained a Doozer tower, a Gorg curler, and a swoopfoomer. I imagine he could coax music out of a slide whistle; just think of it as a baby trombone.

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
Cool, I just wanted to make sure that's what it was. Now I wanna hear what that would sound like. Can you imagine what Cantus would make a slide whistle sound like?

Does he have a mustache in the series? You didn't draw him with one and I was just trying to figure out if I am remembering him wrong.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Nope, no 'stache. He had feathers outlining his head and one frather on his chin like a beard, though. In fact, he's always looked a bit birdlike to me. Since we have mammal fraggles and fish fraggles, why not bird fraggles?

bazingababe24

Reaction score
What a great start, Slackbot! His fur and hair look very nice. His expression, especially the eyes, looks perfect. (Give him violet eyes, maybe?) Love the slide whistle!:smile:

From what I've seen, I think he has a sash that holds his robe shut and a tail sleeve in the back, and larger pockets on the skirt of the robe. Also, he's a little wider in the midsection than that. I'm going by not only the episodes, but the photos of the puppet in the "Jim Henson's Fantastic World" exhibit.

Just thought I'd help you out with the lower half of him.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Thanks, BZB. I think I'm going to have to sit in front of paused DVD frames with a sketch pad if I want to get his full costume down. Oops, that may be a spoiler for my next doodle dump. Page full o' Cantus. And Murray, I have a scene I want to draw with him.

ilovemusic

Reaction score
This thread is starting to remind me of a certain Simon & Garfunkel song.

Cantus the Minstrel is gonna figure heavily in my next story, so I figured I'd better bite the bullet and learn to draw him. I admit, I've been intimidated by him. He's hard to find reference material for, and his expression is kinda weird. (I think he usually looks tired; my drawing has a more hung-over vibe, I'm afraid.) Hopefully I'll be comfortable with him by the time I start writing him.
Waaah so cute! <3