So you want to audition for the Muppets?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Your friend, the Bear, has called out there just now and left some information. Didn't offer any voices up or anything corny, just told them I'm very interested in talking to someone and to please call me back.

I tell you, that would be one of the most awesome jobs in the world, even if it IS only occasional. Constantly performing with Muley around town sure will be helpful in such an event as this!

Called back QUICK:
Yep. Todd's the man! :smile: Called back sooner than I had expected, and is a very nice guy. I've invited him to visit the message boards and post any information he'd like to here.

I asked if there were any needs for puppet builders since I've some friends who do that rather than perform and, while it isn't something needed now, will be likely down the road.

In case he can't make it here to post: The tentative schedule is around the first or second weekend in October.

And for those of you who are worried or nervous about calling, call! You don't want to miss out on any opportunities that are knocking at your door, and talking to Todd feels like talking to someone you've known for a while. That, plus knowing someone named Todd helps! :embarrassed:

Oh, and the "407" number is Florida, but is for a remote office for the Muppets Holding Company, LLC.

(Kristen in Toronto, Todd's trying to call you back. Turn on your answering machine.)

Blink

Reaction score
MagentaHaiku said:
Todd hasn't called me back yet-- what gives? Anyhow, does anybody know of a website with muppet voices on it- like little clips that we can listen to to help us practice? I can do Prairie Dawn and Elmo, but I'm sure with a little listening over and over again I can try to nail some other ones.

My Gloss! Are any of the Toronto people planning to audition?

Ta,
Kristen
Hey Kristen,

I'll be there and a few of my other puppeteer friends will go as well. I am going to talk with a lot of established puppeteers at the Puppets Up! festival and ask them if they are going.

I guess I'll see you there. :smile:

- Kanja

Blink

Reaction score
Characters for the audition

Okay,

I spoke with Todd as well (10 mins. ago) and he gave me a list of the characters they are looking for.

Kermit
Piggy
Fozzie
Gonzo
Statler
Waldorf
Dr. Bunson Honeydew
Beaker
Pepe
Animal

Todd let me know that they may not be against hearing some other characters, but these are really the ones that the company is casting for.

Cool!:big_grin:

AbbessBryony

Reaction score
The only voices that I have down perfectly are Piggy, Beaker, and Animal. I kind of can do Gonzo, Fozzie, and Kermit. I've never tried to imitate the voices for the others that are listed.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Good list! Pepe and Gonzo are out for me, the others I can make happen!

Edited to add: At least for NOW. :rolleyes: :concern:

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
Blink said:
Okay,

I spoke with Todd as well (10 mins. ago) and he gave me a list of the characters they are looking for.

Kermit
Piggy
Fozzie
Gonzo
Statler
Waldorf
Dr. Bunson Honeydew
Beaker
Pepe
Animal

Todd let me know that they may not be against hearing some other characters, but these are really the ones that the company is casting for.

Cool!:big_grin:

Thank god i can do ALL of thos but not Dr. Bunson Honeydew :confused: My Kermit sounds MORE like Steve, and I'm a steve too lol, and my Waldorf sounds more like daves too. lol to bad there not casting :sing: I can do him also!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I didn't notice that Floyd wasn't listed. I'm pretty good with Floyd and Robin, also. Wonder why not Jerry Nelson's characters?

BEAR

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
I didn't notice that Floyd wasn't listed. I'm pretty good with Floyd and Robin, also. Wonder why not Jerry Nelson's characters?

Maybe because Floyd was Nelson's main character and if they use him they will feel they need to use the other EM members with him and maybe there is no need for it. Same with Robin. He isn't in demand for such appearances. If you look at the list of characters that they are looking for, they are all characters that are popular and in demand right now. Just a theory but I think it makes sense.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Thanks to Sweetums74 (Chris) for posting this information!

The flier can be found here:
http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL742/3120815/6345768/107566117.jpg

Advertising will run in Backstage East and Showbiz Weekly in New York on August 25th. Grab these up for your collection if nothing else!

UPDATE: (In order to keep the main information collected together in one spot so it doesn’t become confusing when looking for it amidst the other talk).

Facts as we know them.

For more information call The Muppets Audition Hotline at 407-828-1087. If you don’t get a live person, leave a message and they will call you back. (So far, Todd is the guy we’re hearing back from, super nice guy). Keep in mind when you are calling this number it is a BUSINESS number, don't just hang up, it's someone's office line!! That's bad mojo! Be PROFESSIONAL and courteous. This is a Florida phone number, and is where the remote office is located (on Disney grounds, but you will be working for The Muppets Holding Company, LLC).

Schedule:
Auditions are tentatively scheduled during the fall at Los Angeles, Ca, New York, NY, or Toronto, Canada. Los Angeles looks like it will be around the end of September (26th?), and on September 8 for New York. Toronto will be later. Be sure to prepare for at least 2 days on the trip you will be making to the auditions because the first day will be auditions, the second day will be the call-backs. (If you are over-seas, there will be no auditions held there. My personal opinion is to see if anyone else is interested in coming along and sharing expenses for room, travel, etc.--Kev).

NEW YORK DATE CONFIRMED:
Thursday, September 8. Call time 10:00 am, Ripley-Grier Studios 520 8th Ave, 16th Floor. Call backs are on Sept 9.
http://www.newyorkspaces.com/studios/ripley_grier/

LA DATE CONFIRMED:
Friday, September 23. Call time 10:00 am, Screenland Studios 10501 Burbank Blvd. N. Hollywood, CA 91601. Call backs are on Sept 24th.
Screenland Studios (Yahoo Map)
Break out your Thomas Guide or visit the following for directions:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=10501...,0.058545&hl=en

They are seeking experienced puppeteers with improvisational and vocal skills (including impersonating Classic Muppet Characters). Relocation is not required, however you must be available to travel. Must be at least 18 years old to audition. These are open call auditions, qualified candidates will receive a call-back. You will need a Performance Resume (see below).

If you feel more comfortable bringing a puppet, do so. The first day of auditions will be done with ping-pong ball eyes. Puppets may be available at the call-backs.

IMPROV:
You might keep some monologue memorized from a Muppets production of some sort, but no need to formally prepare anything because you REALLY need to know the characters' voices/personalities so when you are working off another character, or person, during improvisation you're working with how the character behaves and performs. Be able to just go nearly nuts with the improv situation the way Muppets do!

This will be for occasional Muppet Appearances and may be just one character or a bunch.

Characters they are looking for people to be able to perform are:
Kermit
Piggy
Fozzie
Gonzo
Statler
Waldorf
Dr. Bunson Honeydew
Beaker
Pepe
Animal
They may not be against hearing some other characters, but these are really the ones that the company is casting for.

Sesame Workshop WILL be along for this audition tour--purposes unknown.

Not officially announced, but things we’re pretty sure about:
~They are NOT looking for puppet builders during this audition.
~May not have to have your own puppet, they are still working out the details there.
~Don’t call with a list of characters you can perform, and don’t do character voices on the phone.
~This includes the Muppet characters listed above which are owned by The Muppets Holding Company, LLC. I’m quite sure this does NOT include Sesame Street characters as those are now owned by Sesame Workshop.

(Thanks also to info collected here from KermieBaby47, ToasterBoy, Blink.)
As more updates become available, I will post them here. This information is subject to change and is not 100% from the words of the company, but information fans have gathered. Todd has been invited to the forums, so hopefully he'll show up and disperse better information.

=========================

PERFORMANCE RESUME

Performance Resume Examples:
Jinx: http://home.mcn.net/~fantom/pages/resume.html
ToasterBoy: http://www.mrgrant.com/resume/

The RESUME (From Bear, ToasterBoy, & Jinx)

CONTACT INFORMATION:
-If you don't have an answering machine or voice mail, get one. If there is no way to leave a message, don't expect them to keep calling you. They will move on.)
-Theater experience (if any)
-Film/Television Experience (if any)
-Voice over (if any)
-Other
-Training (important to include if you have any professional training when auditioning as an actor/performer)
-Special Skills (can really help. List anything. Even if you know how to simply whistle or bark like a dog add it! You'd be surprised)

-Also, if you have worked with one theater company multiple times, make the company a sub category of the theater section. Then list the shows for each company. It is a clean way to organize.

-If you have performed as a live puppeteer, then it would work in the theater category.

I would recomend that you always include the director's name along with theater/production company (which is a good idea if the director is at least somewhat well-known in the industry). They may recognize or know who you have worked with. Networking is often how we get jobs in the business. As far as theater & the like, put it all on there. it's all performance. You can even re-arrange the items depending on the audition. You can put all the puppet stuff up top for a puppet audition, all the theater up top for theater, etc.

A resume should also never be more than one page. It is annoying. They don't want homework. You don't need to put everything you have ever done in your life. Just keep it down to the highlights. the good stuff. If you are 30 years old there is no need to keep high school productions on the resume. Most importantly, as has been stated here before, DO NOT LIE! Don't even stretch the truth. Your body of work is your body of work and you should be proud of it as it is.

A photo is, in the industry, a professional necessity. Snapshots are almost never acceptable, it definitely pays to have a professional photographer do some good headshots. The ol' 8 X 10 black-and-white glossy is the standard here. On mine (printed version) I include my name and contact information printed right on the photo, in case it should get separated from my resume. I usually staple the headshot/resume together, although on some occasions I have printed the resume on the back of the photo itself.

(I may miss thanking someone for helping keep this updated, but your help is always appreciated!)