1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Songs You Can't Stand

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by D'Snowth, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Puckrox

Puckrox Well-Known Member

I agree with this strongly. I'm not fond of her techno-pop music (great to dance to at parties, but that's about it for me), but I've heard some of her early work before she became Gaga and I was extremely impressed.
  2. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Actually from what I hear it turns out there was a valid reason.
  3. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I'm none too fond of that kind of music, but she really masters it completely. I always complain about when rock stars get too old they record old standards (though I think Rod Stewart is really good with it), but she's someone who NEEDS to go back and do this stuff whenever possible. I'm sure her fans wouldn't mind. I will say that her techno stuff is an acquired taste, one I actually did and didn't think I would. I wouldn't buy any of her CD's or listen to that music regularly unlike my sister (she's a fan), but I don't mind hearing it. I can't say that for most technopop. I can't say that for most American mainstream music... but then again, I stress I have strange tastes in music. Weird Al, Muppets/Sesame/Fraggles, strange 1970's and 80's anime theme songs... I once heard the theme to Lupin III for no reason pop up in a Spencers and I had a huge smile on my face.

Valid or not, she wound up making her point a joke. If someone gives nice pleasant reasons for what they believe, people listen to it... if someone's being an arrogant schnook (i.e. Kanye's random "Bush doesn't care about Black People" outburst), they become a negative cartoon portrait of themselves.
  4. heralde

I get what you mean. It's like how people don't take PETA seriously because of their over the top stunts.
  5. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Anyone else think those Perry brothers need to seriously man up and quit letting their sister walk all over them like a dominatrix?
  6. HeyButtahfly

HeyButtahfly Well-Known Member

That made me laugh. Great memory.

My least favorite Christmas song is quickly becoming "We Need A Little Christmas." It really makes no sense. Why do we NEED a little Christmas, right this VERY minute? And if it's truly that urgent, why call for only a little? :confused:
  7. heralde

Well we're not greedy, just a little will do, lol.
  8. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

...and why is Carol at the spinnet?
  9. ZeppoAndFriends

ZeppoAndFriends Well-Known Member

I would willingly listen to any other song mentioned here a million times over than listen to that one once. It gets stuck in my head and never comes out. Couple years ago, it was in there until the middle of April!
  10. Drtooth

It's not really a Christmas song. It was written for he musical Mame... here's the plot synopsis from wikipedia:

In context of the play, the "little" Christmas makes perfect sense... at least according to that.

And trust me, I HATE the fact my mother listened to show tunes and I kinda know this stuff. I don't even like musicals unless they're crazy wacky (Spamalot), slightly morbid (Little Shop of Horrors, Rocky Horror Picture Show) VERY morbid (Sweeny Todd) or based off of Snoopy.
    Princeton likes this.
  11. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Agreed 110%. Simply the WORST Christmas song ever, if only because it is way too sappy! The cover done by Avalon is the worst of all of them because of that stupid xylophone at the beginning. *shudders*
  12. Puckrox

UGH. That song. I don't think anyone has ever liked that song (well that must not be true, otherwise it would have never made it to the radio in the first point). I love Patton Oswalt's bit where he rips on the song. It's hilarious.
  13. Speed Tracer

Speed Tracer Well-Known Member

I thought about posting it and then thought twice. But anyone who wants a great laugh ought to look up "Patton Oswalt Christmas Shoes" on YouTube. Warning: definitely NOT suitable for work or kiddos.

"I may have died for your sins but those pumps are unforgivable!"
    Puckrox likes this.
  14. GonzoLeaper

GonzoLeaper Well-Known Member

I love "The Christmas Shoes"- it's a great song. Of course, I guess I tend to love all the "sappy" and "sugary" and "sweet" and "saccharine-filled", etc. type stuff anyway.:laugh:
    And just for the record, the song is based on a true story, so that might help lend it some credibility.
  15. bazooka_beak

bazooka_beak Active Member

I think I've come to hate any and all versions of Little Drummer Boy. I don't know why, it just grates my nerves.
  16. Drtooth

It's not that I can't stand this song, but I can't stand what happened to it in animated TV show form...

One of my Youtube friends really likes Teddy Ruxpin, and I usually see her favorites and uploads...

here's the original cassette tape version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7czRLu-wyI

Insanely catchy. I wish I had that book and tape when I was younger...

here's the poorly mixed cartoon version:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1D7UEsZ18g

the insane amount of added, poorly timed "Do its" take away from the song. Shame, it's a pretty catchy little song for a kid's book and tape (and animatronic toy bear) series.
  17. heralde

Not even when Bing Crosby and Davie Bowie sang together??
  18. Puckrox

I dunno, the Josh Groban version of Little Drummer Boy is pretty amazing. :)
  19. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Would you hate it if Animal did it? XD
  20. HeyButtahfly

HeyButtahfly Well-Known Member

LOL Just wait til he gets to the "ME AND MY DRUUUUMMMM!!!!" part...
    newsmanfan and Puckrox like this.