"Space Jam: A New Legacy" in development for July 16, 2021 release

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I think at some point he was suppose to be the official recast for all of Mel's characters, but something happened and WB decided to not have "official" voice actors for classic characters anymore.
I remember it was Bergman saying that he was the new Mel Blanc which basically lost his job at the time.

I know some characters are often regulate to one person like Bob Bergen as Porky, Billy West as Elmer Fudd, & Jim Cummings as Taz.

I heard Yosemite Sam was often portrayed by Maurice LaMarche, he had to step down because, the voice was getting to his vocals. Fred Tatascisore recently is now Yosemite Sam.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Personally, I really haven't been much of a fan of the Yosemite replacements. They don't sound nearly as crazy or expressive as Mel did. I can understand why, since that would be really hard on the vocal chords, but I still miss the energy Mel brought to it. He made him one of the most hilarious LT characters, imo.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Personally, I really haven't been much of a fan of the Yosemite replacements. They don't sound nearly as crazy or expressive as Mel did. I can understand why, since that would be really hard on the vocal chords, but I still miss the energy Mel brought to it. He made him one of the most hilarious LT characters, imo.
The best one besides Maurice to me and this might be controversial would be Jeff Bennett, I really like his portrayal Back In Action.

cjd874

Reaction score
Back in the day, Mel Blanc would record all the other voices for a particular session and save Yosemite Sam's lines for last. He once said of doing Yosemite Sam's voice: "Imagine screaming at the top of your lungs for an hour and a half."

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Back in the day, Mel Blanc would record all the other voices for a particular session and save Yosemite Sam's lines for last. He once said of doing Yosemite Sam's voice: "Imagine screaming at the top of your lungs for an hour and a half."
Even so Mel couldn't even do it anymore when they did Roger Rabbit, Joe Alaskey did Sam there.

cjd874

Reaction score
Even so Mel couldn't even do it anymore when they did Roger Rabbit, Joe Alaskey did Sam there.
Yes! I think Joe was one of the only people to perform one of Mel Blanc's original characters while Mel was still alive (maybe his son Noel Blanc did a few voices here and there too?). This was in 1987 or 1988, right before Mel passed away.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Yes! I think Joe was one of the only people to perform one of Mel Blanc's original characters while Mel was still alive (maybe his son Noel Blanc did a few voices here and there too?). This was in 1987 or 1988, right before Mel passed away.
1988, so this was Mel’s basically his last hurrah with the characters.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And much like Caroll, you could definitely hear the difference in Mel's voices towards the end of his life - a sad difference, that is.

That being said, I will say Joe did actually do a pretty decent Yosemite Sam.

cjd874

Reaction score
To me, Joe Alaskey and Maurice LaMarche were the best Yosemite Sams after Mel's death. Bill Farmer did him in Space Jam, and Jeff Bennett in Looney Tunes: Back in Action...no disrespect to Bill or Jeff but neither were very memorable, in my opinion. We'll see how Fred Tatasciore does in the new HBO cartoons.