star trek

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
out of all the shows, ds9 tackled some of the biggest issues that made viewers either want to or not want to watch the show like nog's leg...you know they wanted to have bashir's leg to get cut, blown away, etc. instead of nog's but then decided to have nog's leg missing instead of bashirs.....

ryan

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I think having it Nog was a good decission. Nog needed to have his character expanded more I think.

My absolute favorite episode of all time, DS9 or none, was Far Beyond the Stars. That was an amazing episode, and I was blown away by Avery Brooks' acting in it. When he starts having the nervous breakdown at the end, I start to tear up.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Originally posted by ryhoyarbie
back to ds9, is it just me, or did it feel like obrien should have been promoted and given an actual comission? i never really felt like as him being the chief engineer that he should just be a chief petty officer. i really hated people giving him orders just because he was a nco-non comissioned officer. people like bashir and dax did not know as much as obrien but he had to say yes sir and no sir to them.....ughh....he knew more than those people, and faced more bad guys like the q, the borg, etc. than dax and bashir had put together. obrien should have been given more of a back bone, more of an edge..in emissary, he was in charge of the station when kira and the others went to go look for sisko..i just wanted the writers to develope more of a leader in obrien like they did with kira or when they brought in worf in the 4th season and made worf like the other 1st officer...

if you look during the 5th season episode the ship, you'll find another engineer named muniz who was also a nco talk about how he thought obrien knew more than sisko, dax and the others, and i think that is true..the problem is obrien couldn't say that stuff because of his rank.....

ryan

anyone agree with me that obrien should have been promoted??!

ryan

electricmayhem

Reaction score
nobody agrees with me huh.......dang it...

ryan
Well, I agree! But I don't know how much that counts because I don't know who O'Brien is!:big_grin:

CousinLuke

Reaction score
I think O'brian should have because he was also on TNG. By itself that makes him better than most of the other DS9 people (except Worf, because he was on TNG too, and longer).

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Originally posted by electricmayhem
Well, I agree! But I don't know how much that counts because I don't know who O'Brien is!:big_grin:
if you watch tng, obrien worked the transporters during the 2nd-through early 6th year of tng. the first season of tng, he was at the helm, and then switched to sucurity....on ds9, he transfered and became the chief enginner...

ryan

electricmayhem

Reaction score
if you watch tng, obrien worked the transporters during the 2nd-through early 6th year of tng. the first season of tng, he was at the helm, and then switched to sucurity....on ds9, he transfered and became the chief enginner...

ryan
Did he have curly hair?

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Actually, it was just explained to me why O'Brien was never promoted. He was a non-comisioned officer, and didn't want to be a regular officer.

The Executive Producer, Ira Steven Behr, loved the character of O'Brien because he was down to earth, a family man. HE wasn't an officer, just an Engineer/Transporter Operator.

I think Miles O'Brien and Charlie "Trip" Tucker are my favorite characters from Star Trek. They're just so cool!

:wink: