SUMMER OLYMPICS 2012

bandit

Reaction score
Oh I can only imagine what the climate is like in the UK. The air must be charged with excitement. I love it! I'm jealous of that as well.

Oddly, other than on the news, I have not heard very many people talk about the Olympics here yet. Leave it to a small southern town to not have a very far-reaching world view of things. I know I'll be watching and my family will be too.

On a side note, are you guys familiar with Sasuke? Kunoichi? Takeshi's Castle?
Here in the states they are known as Ninja Warrior, Women's Ninja Warrior and Wipeout. In any case, these shows are so much fun to watch. Talk about crazy, intricate obstacle courses! They are MAD! I've always wanted to participate in one of these but I just know I'd break my neck. Hahaha I'd be the one fatality on the show, I know it. Still....if you're gonna go....NO GUTS NO GLORY! *splats!*

Vincent L

Reaction score
I think I can imagine the feeling. We had the Taipei International Flora Exposition in 2010, and the pride is still in my heart. I went there 5 times, and 2 times after it's degraded to Taipei Expo Park.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I know it's not the most exciting event, but I am looking forward to the basketball games. It's exciting to see all the great players playing together for team USA, how players who are used to being the number one guy on their team have to change up their game for international competition.

bandit

Reaction score
What are you talking about? Of course it's exciting! Basketball can be a really fun sport to watch because its so fast paced. Sometimes some of the most random sports are the most interesting. I saw this story about a 16 year old who will be representing the US in table tennis (Pingpong) and she is amazing! I saw in her training she had to strike the ball so it would whiz above the next but between it and a small cord that was about 3 inches above the next. She made it every time.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I figured some people on here would say it was boring because you can watch it on TV for eight months out of the year every year, and the Olympics are supposed to be for the rare sports.

I'm also looking forward to the tennis.

bandit

Reaction score
Well that may be true, but you can look at it another way. For those people who follow certain sports, it's really interesting to see where we stand in an international competition.
I'll grant you that I am one of those people who gets excited about the events that aren't normally followed so closely but even so.....I'll probably watch a little bit of everything when I can catch it. It's just a whole other level of sportsmanship and that in itself is exciting. Besides, the whole global aspect of this is fascinating to me. Sports and competitions and the discipline, training and emotions that go into all of this are universal. Every athlete out there is going to be able to say they have felt the thrill of a top performance....the disappointment of a subpar one and the nerves, adrenaline...etc. It brings people together in a way that is almost primal at times. I just love it. At its core, there is very little more honest than a person pushing their body to the limit of its strength and skill.

I mean, obviously I'm no Olympian...not even close....But when I run, I get into this frame of mind sometimes....you fall into a rhythm....And when you're running, it is just you and your own limitations. You push yourself to keep going and you build on this foundation.. Some days you've got it and some days you don't. But when you are alone and working out, there is no BS. You can't pretend to be a better athlete than you are. You are what you are and if you want to get better, you have to keep working hard. When you get there, it's because you earned it. I really like that!

I don't know if any of that made sense. I'm just saying that there is a sense of being the real you when you push yourself like that.

bandit

Reaction score
To add to that, I would say that another part of it is knowing what your best is currently and being okay with that. You have to set realistic goals for yourself. So if you know you can only workout or run for this amount of time or for this distance, then make that your aim. Next time try a little harder....go a little farther or longer. That's what I mean about being honest. You have to know what you are truly capable of doing and then work at it. Try not to compare yourself to other people....which...is easy enough to do in sports. Its easy to get competitive and to a certain extent that is healthy and fun.

But again, you have to know YOU and what YOU can do. You have to take pride in that and then build on it. Keep at it, no matter what! And listen to your body. It knows best.

Wow...okay. I'm officially finished.

mo

Reaction score
I'm kinda excited about them....but since school ends tomarrow I'm looking foreward to that more....I'm also excited that I might go back to the US and see my family...and the village show...and seeing my friends again....and watching mlp fim and muppets...well....

Hubert

Reaction score
Y'know, I don't get you Olympic fanatics. The Olympics are tomorrow, yet you let it drop down to page 3 in the GEneral Discussion thread...