Tartakovsky directing Dark Crystal sequel

lowercasegods

Reaction score
My first instinct will always be "leave well enough alone." I think the original Dark Crystal is a masterpiece, as well as a self-contained story that needs no sequels, prequels or any other kind of "quels" for that matter.

However, I don't feel that this is a sequel made exclusively for the purpose of big money. Statistically speaking, the first Dark Crystal made a very poor showing at the box office. And though it now has cult status to spare, a sequel to a box office fizzler is hardly a guaranteed financial windfall. So I doubt the Hensons are creating this soley on greedy intentions.

Instead, I see this as an attempt to give the true fans of Dark Crystal something new to add to their love of the myhtology. Granted, a good number of us are appreciative enough for the original and would prefer to leave it at that. But regardless, I think the Hensons are just trying to give the fans what they THINK we want. And that's noble in my book.

Will this movie be as good as the original? No, probably not. Will it be better? Let's not be silly, now. Will I see it despite my reservations about a sequel to a wonderufl stand-alone film? I'm sure I will. This film will still have things that I love in it: the great designs of Brian Froud, the beautiful puppetry of the creature shop, and virtually the entire original cast coming back to reprise their roles (in voices, at least). It will be a nice stroll down memory lane and a good chance to see what the Hensons are capable of now.

But in the very least, seeing this sequel will only help strengthen my appreciation of the original, which can never be topped and never be touched in its scope and beauty.

crazed gonzo fa

Reaction score
So is it confirmed that the origonal cast will return? By the way, thanks for puting everything that way. Dark Crystal is one of those movies that is so good, you don't want it to end. This is basiclly a way to give us more to satisfy us. True it may not be as good, but it may not be as bad as we think. Does any one here have connections with Froud or JHC? If so can you e-mail them and ask them to release a photo of Jen? Please?

lowercasegods

Reaction score
From what I've read, most of the original vocal cast has returned if not all of them.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
If they're going to do as much digital backgrounds as they've said they're going to do, then the production time will probably be cut down to half of the original's, I imagine.

fluffmuppet

Reaction score
I've been waiting forever for a sequel!!!!

*so excited**so excited**so excited**so excited**so excited**so excited**so excited**so excited**so excited**so excited**so excited**so excited**so excited**so excited**so excited**so excited**so excited**so excited*

*EXPLODES*

crazed gonzo fa

Reaction score
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank You So Much Garland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!!!

Reaction score
I love Tartaovsky's directing. I actually enjoyed Clone Wars 1 & 2 more than Episode 2 & 3 of the Star Wars series.

I have faith in him doing the Dark Crystal.

But I am still 50/50 on this project. I always wanted to see the seperation of the two halves--Skeksis and the Ur-sol. But I am curious if Jim Henson ever wanted that explained. Like, I don't want this to be like Muppets from Space, and us finding out the orgin of Gonzo. I preferred him as a "whatever" than to an alien. And I prefer the ending (of the Dark Crystal) than to the future of the Crystal.

But like I said, I have faith. And that's better than nothing.:smile:

crazed gonzo fa

Reaction score
(Not sure how valid this is) Wikipedia says that skekUng(The General) will not be in the sequeal. All the origonal characters will be though.

DCDave

Reaction score
I bet Tartaovsky will do it justice. I loved the first movie and I really hope this sequel is just as good. Also, if anyone is interested I guess the Jim Henson Company just opened an online store where you can buy all kinds of Dark Crystal, Labyrinth and Mirrormask stuff.
cafepress.com/jimhensonco
Anyone who likes the movies should really check it out...