TeeNick adds "90's block", ratings success

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Disney seems too caught in the moment to realize the potential viewers they would get by re running old shows, even in a block format. I mean, how many times can you watch the same episodes of the Suite Life every day...I mean, Its sad that they need to show each show about 8 or 9 times a day to fill air time.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
to some extent "Rugrats become teenagers after a what if special that was cute, but now it resembles everything else on the network" had some moments. Though ti be fair, I LOVE Ren and Stimpy, but most of the post John K episodes were just... disturbing. I LOVED the one where Stimpy makes a cartoon, but the one where they live in a whale carcase?
I didn't get into the Rugrats as teenagers; it didn't have the multi layered humor of the original series. I didn't get Ren & Stimpy at the time, but I do respect it more now for thinking out of the box (waaaaaay out of the box, lol).

Drtooth

Reaction score
Disney seems too caught in the moment to realize the potential viewers they would get by re running old shows, even in a block format. I mean, how many times can you watch the same episodes of the Suite Life every day...I mean, Its sad that they need to show each show about 8 or 9 times a day to fill air time.
I have to hand it to Disney... if it wasn't for Phineas and Ferb, they'd just be a jukebox of the same 5 shows, wouldn't they?

I didn't get into the Rugrats as teenagers; it didn't have the multi layered humor of the original series. I didn't get Ren & Stimpy at the time, but I do respect it more now for thinking out of the box (waaaaaay out of the box, lol).
Yeah... I mean part of the fun of Rugrats was that you had the kids misinterpreting the mundane adults speaking and having little adventures when no one was looking. Rugrats Grown Up was just... the same tween dramas they were airing at the time. Actually, I take it back... I barely enjoyed it at that. But Rocket Power... ugh... I hated the extreme fad.

Ren and Stimpy (while it has it's fair share of female fans) is kinda a guy thing... like the Stooges. Only a tiny bit more cerebral... at least in the senese that crazy minds were behind that one. It was a rebellious uprising of animators that had to work on action shows and toy based stuff at studios that really held them back for the sake of deadline and budget. Needless to say, the shows ALWAYS ran over budget (one of the reasons John was fired). There was an inspired strangeness to the John K/ Spumco ones... but when games took over the strangeness turned into confusing or disturbing moments with little or no thought (and if there was, it was definitely strange thoughts) behind them. Space Madness has a divine madness to it... It's a Dog's life is UNWATCHABLE!

beaker

Reaction score
Arthur stole the Walter Mitty-esque dream sequences... that's probably why. :news:

I don't care what 80's kids say... Nick didn't achieve Nick-ness until the 90's when they did original animation. I've never been a fan of the Kiddy anime they ran, and I always missed out of the wonderful Brit-toons like Duckula and Danger Mouse (I think I saw Bananaman a couple times)... but Ren and Stimpy and Rugrats made the network.
That's pretty much true. It's not until the debut of Rugrats and Rocko did I start caring about Nickelodeon. That period of Rockos Modern Life, Rugrats, Pre Disney Doug, The Adventures of Pete and Pete=magical. All the way til the end of Invader Zim, and into a bit of Fairly Odd Parents and Danny Phantom. Though I havent watched Nick in almost a decade. How come Cartoon Network gets all the cool new shows like Regular Show and Adventure Time...what about Nick, MTV, G4, etc?

beaker

Reaction score
No Kablam? :frown: Also what was that one live action show with the black puppet? Loved that one. Clarissa, another classic. Oh and All That. Loved Good Burger too.
Yeah 1992-2002 Nick=amazing.

My all time faves in order:

Rockos Modern Life
The Adventures of Pete and Pete
Invader Zim
Rugrats
Kablam
Doug
Ahhh! Real Monsters
All That
Cat dog

rowlfy662

Reaction score
cousin skeeter i think i wonder if they will add angry beavers to the line up

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's pretty much true. It's not until the debut of Rugrats and Rocko did I start caring about Nickelodeon. That period of Rockos Modern Life, Rugrats, Pre Disney Doug, The Adventures of Pete and Pete=magical. All the way til the end of Invader Zim, and into a bit of Fairly Odd Parents and Danny Phantom. Though I havent watched Nick in almost a decade. How come Cartoon Network gets all the cool new shows like Regular Show and Adventure Time...what about Nick, MTV, G4, etc?
CN's new comedy block is historic. Cartoons for older kids, teens and adults? That was their first brilliant idea in a decade! Nick somehow doesn't realize it has more adult cartoon watching fan bases (it took CN forever to realize that themselves). Imagine if they kept Zim on and gave it a TV PG rating, airing it later at night? Regular Show and Adventure time can talk about death (sex, swearing, and alcohol are still off limits, though)... they're like adult swim shows only more fun to watch and better animated. Plus, I LOVE Mad as well.

Nick just... I dunno what's going on there. Is Tuff Puppy still around? Seems that they have all these new cartoons, but they last a season or 2 and disappear on Nicktoons. They just can't make that big epic new Nicktoon that will dethrone Spongebob.

rowlfy662

Reaction score
i belive tuff puppy is coming back for a third season which is shocking but it will die quickly after that

mr3urious

Reaction score
As stupid as RP is, I admit it's a guilty pleasure to me.

Drtooth

Reaction score
i belive tuff puppy is coming back for a third season which is shocking but it will die quickly after that
I didn't get to even freaking see it yet, but I'm a BIG fan of Butch Hartman's stuff. Still, some cases they don't make shows that are that good, other cases they have ones that are just fine (like Catscratched) that they don't even give a chance. Spongebob wasn't even that popular until 2001, 2 years after it premiered. Rugrats blew up with popularity a few years after as well, and became HUGE in the mid to late 90's.