1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

The 10 Worst Muppets?

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by bsumner, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Great Gommzo Member

I can't stand Rizzo personally, and the fact he featured so prominently in the later muppet movies ruined them for me. Yet characters that used to be main players - Rowlf, Scooter etc barely featured at all.
    We Got Us likes this.
  2. mupcollector1 Well-Known Member

If Walter would continue, all I can see him doing say in a new Muppet tv series is working with Scooter, being another goffer, other than that, that's it.
  3. GonzoLeaper Active Member

For Walter that would be living the dream!:batty::insatiable::)
  4. mupcollector1 Well-Known Member

Especially Scooter, it's like the team always gets a new person to perform Scooter. There's never a stable Scooter. David R. Is pretty good from what I've heard so far, Brain Henson was great in It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie (I was watching it last night LOL), but I thought Richard Hunt's brother Adam is it? Adam Hunt? When he voiced Scooter in Muppets From Space, THAT MY FRIENDS WAS AMAZING! THAT SOUNDED EXACTLY LIKE RICHARD! It's too bad that Adam was only there for that one time voicing Scooter.
  5. mupcollector1 Well-Known Member

You know what would be really really funny, is if Walter had a relative who was best friends with J.P. Gross. LOL

It's too bad J.P.Gross kind of got killed off in a deleted scene in It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie.

I always liked Scooter's excuse on The Muppet Show "Well My Uncle owns this theater and..." LOL Classic
  6. Great Gommzo Member

I loved Scooter, and Sweetums - Richard Hunt had the best characters.
  7. mupcollector1 Well-Known Member

You know one of the things that I liked about Richard Hunt's performances is that from time to time, he would always have a loud New Yorker character either on screen or off screen. An example of that is on the 80s direct to video combo from 1985 I'm guessing, It was called: Gonzo Presents Muppet Weird Stuff. And in there Gonzo was showing off his so called mansion or summer home even though he was trying to hide the fact that it was just a trailer home. LOL Anyway Richard Hunt would be the voice of Gonzo's New Yorker Landlord "HEY BUZZARD BEAK!!! WHERE'S MY RENT MONEY????" LOL No one could do that better than Richard Hunt LOL
  8. Great Gommzo Member

yes, remember that too. Glad to see Scooter features prominently in the new Muppets movie trailer.
  9. Teheheman Well-Known Member

I don't think that there is a necessarily "WORSE" or "BAD" Muppet characters. They are just ones that are disliked by a number of people. I'm sure that you can find a reason to dislike Kermit or Miss Piggy the same as others can dislike Bean Bunny or Scooter. Personally, I like them all for different reasons, BUT some of them have to be in small doses or they really get either annoying or don't work. Like Pepe, he's not the most liked character, he gets annoying at times, but sometimes, he may have a line or 2 that would be kind of funny and he'll work in small doses. He may not be a good lead Muppet, or one that you can write a movie around, but he might be able to make a joke or 2 work. Just like Rizzo, once they started making him more of a sidekick to Gonzo, I think that relationship clicked and there was a reason to like Rizzo. I think that a lot of these "worst" on the list, and even on the list provided are a good example of characters that work by not being pushed a lot. Like Scooter, after a while the whole "Gee, my uncle wouldn't mind" and Kermit giving in thing got a little old, but he's still a good character. Wayne and Wanda were good as a running gag, and Janice is great at delivering the one line after everybody shuts up where she doesn't realize everybody stopped talking. Bunsen, when paired with Beaker, is a great example of "background comedy" where something funny in happening in the background and the guy in the foreground has no clue and just talking straight. The Bears weren't much of a "character" except one who was a security guard in Muppets From Space. The rest of the list would probably have been better in smaller doses(although I DO agree a little about Robin that he would have been better as a Sesame Street character, but he wasn't bad) but everybody has their opinion.

Daniel
  10. Great Gommzo Member

yeh, it's all a matter of opinion I guess. I do actually quite like Pepe: "I'll spank you like a bad bad donkey" one of the best quotes in any Muppet movie, ****, any film full stop I'd say!
  11. miss kermie Well-Known Member

Oh wow, I meant there's no worst muppet. =)
  12. heralde Well-Known Member

I used to have that tape, loved Richard as the land lord, lol. And yes I also loved it whenever he channeled his New Jersey/New York side, hehe.
  13. dte New Member

I've always felt Wayne and Wanda were conceived as short term Muppets, created exclusively as a foil for Kermit to fire someone.
  14. We Got Us Active Member

I'm so very glad this got everybody as mad as it did. The first time I saw it, I clicked verrryyyy reluctantly, driven by my terrible curiosity and anger that such a list ever existed....and yet not wanting to have to create an account on some stupid humor sight just so I can cuss someone out that wouldn't even care (and obviously knew way more dirty words then I did). But I willed myself to do it, and I remember waiting for it to load thinking 'Please don't let there be Scooter, please don't let there be Scooter..." Aaaand, there he was. Top of the list. Drop. Dead. Internet Man. And don't you ever put him on a list like that.....his uncle probably owns your computer, dweeb!

I have sort of a love/hate relationship with Pepe. I used to hate his guts when I started catching up on newer Muppet stuff, mostly because a) it seemed like he got so much more screen-time than some of my older favorites (I.E. Scooter, once again, and Rowlf, and several others...) and b) because he seemed to relay on a way more macabre and smarmy type humor than I thought was necessary to the Muppets. (Topless club? Really?) But now that the new movies out, his screen time has been shortened a little bit and everyone seems to be sharing the lime-light fairly I've been giving him a chance. He's pretty durn funny after all.
  15. heralde Well-Known Member

I've found that Pepe can be funny as long as he's given actual jokes as opposed to the tasteless stuff he's often saddled with. :rolleyes:
    We Got Us likes this.
  16. We Got Us Active Member

Good point, it's all script. I can't accuse Scooter of being tasteless because of the cage dancing I guess. :smirk: Ugh, it still goes against every bone in my body to use those words together in one sentence.
    DramaQueenMokey likes this.
  17. heralde Well-Known Member

Believe me I understand. That special actually gave me nightmares. Not about that scene specifically, just in general. I don't even want to get into it, but it left me quite traumatized the next morning...:concern:
    DramaQueenMokey and We Got Us like this.
  18. We Got Us Active Member

I made the terrible mistake of watching it with my four little sisters...the youngest of whom is three. It was, to say the least, terribly disheartening. These are the Muppets, and I'm having to explain to my little sisters whats going on in a scene with a rave dance club?? Yeah, when I saw Scooter I literally hid my head under the blankets without even thinking about it. Not something I EVER wanted to see, or something Richard Hunt would have wanted for the naive, plucky-14-year-old-version of himself. (And he is supposed to be 14, think about that Disney). Yeah, another reason why the new movie being so awesome is so.....awesome!
    heralde likes this.
  19. heralde Well-Known Member

Exactly. I have absolutely no problem with the Muppets doing adult humor. But, heh, that special had ZERO adult humor in it. It was immature, cheap, childish, mean spirited non humor!

And yeah for a long time (after the nightmare especially, heh) I was really depressed thinking there was just no way back. So I'm very grateful for this new movie that thankfully proved me wrong. :)
    DramaQueenMokey and We Got Us like this.
  20. heralde Well-Known Member

And I know some people try to say, "Well it's an alternate universe; it's supposed to be disturbing." But the thing is, if they'd done the same story line in the '70s or '80s they would have made it disturbing and thought provoking. Not disturbing and...yeah just disturbing!