1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

The Beauregard Thread--For Everybody Who Didn't Get A Joke

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Fraggline, Apr 9, 2011.

1. miss kermie

miss kermie Well-Known Member

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. thank you.
  2. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Someone had to explain a couple of jokes from The Muppets to me.

"This is the frogs old office."
    "Or so we've been TOAD."

From Statler and Waldorf.
  3. miss kermie

I understood this, but I think that the problem is that the joke really doesn't makr sense because frogs and toads aren't very related, except for amphibiously
  4. Beauregard

Hehe. I just thought he said, "So we've been told!" and then laughed for no reason. I felt it was totally out of character! I should have trusted them...tsk tsk...

The other joke that I didn't hear was Fozzie's "Oil bet that hurt!" -- I was like, Why is he suddenly laughing at Fozzie just saying, "I'll bet that hurt." Clearly needed to get my listening ears on! Sometimes the American accent does throw me off though.
  5. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

It's a decent enough word play pun, but obviously they've done better, lol.
  6. miss kermie

What I didn't get was when Miss Piggy guest starred on So Random, and at the end, she pulled out her phone, and told Kermit to bring the car around, but then she said to keep the motor running... But I don't get how that's funny. It had to be a joke, because the audience laughed, and the laugh track went off!
  7. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

I didn't get to see Miss Piggy on "So Random!", but could it possibly be the situation that was funny rather than the joke?
  8. Whatnot1988

Whatnot1988 Member

In an early Season 1 episode of TMS, Kermit says "Think about this, folks." and drinks a glass of milk (with a straw, of course).

I've though about it and still don't get it (though I have a vague idea of how they got Kermit to drink the milk).
    Dominicboo1 likes this.
  9. Yuna Leonhart

Yuna Leonhart Well-Known Member

When I watched the episode, I thought he was telling us to thik how he managed to drink the milk. Of course, I could be wrong.
  10. miss kermie

I have a theory.

Eye dropper that sucks milk through straw!

Ok, now shoot me down!
  11. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

You hit the nail on the head!
  12. Yuna Leonhart

Yuna Leonhart Well-Known Member

I hope I didn't hurt the nail :zany:
  13. Beauregard

Yeah, he makes these subtle references to the fact that he is a Puppet a few times within the Muppet Show, and the joke is in the reference itself.

Bea:zany:{Wait!? He's a PUPPET!???}regard
    miss kermie and Mo Frackle like this.
  14. Nyperold

Nyperold Member

Oh, I was thinking the joke was that he's a frog, not a mammal, and therefore probably wouldn't actually drink milk.

I didn't see this either, but being Muppets, I would half-expect the motor to be a Muppet, as well, and perfectly capable of running as well as any bipedal.
    miss kermie likes this.
  15. Beakerfan

Beakerfan Active Member

Generally, the phrase "keep the motor running" implies that someone wishes to make a quick getaway. It would seem, then, that Miss Piggy couldn't get out of the interview fast enough, which is why the audience found it amusing.
    miss kermie and Beauregard like this.
  16. miss kermie

Um, on the Julie Andrews episode of the Muppet Show, what did Kermit mean when he said, "They'd love this show in Jersey." after Scooter asked Julie Andrew's cow who he belonged to? I didn't get it.
  17. Beauregard

"Jersey" is a breed of cow. And also, a place.
  18. miss kermie

Ohhhhhhhhh...
  19. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Oh, I never got that either. I had no idea Jersey is a breed of cows. I just thought maybe the place had some old history with cows or something.
  20. PanthraDion

PanthraDion Well-Known Member

Oh my stars, I never thought of that joke that way before.