1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

The Beauregard Thread--For Everybody Who Didn't Get A Joke

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Fraggline, Apr 9, 2011.

1. miss kermie

miss kermie Well-Known Member

But... Why did she do that?
    It's a wedding song.
    And she has a preggo pillow...
    And she likes it.
    ... Why?
  2. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

She is supposed to be pregnant. It's not supposed to be funny.
    It's a song, she is pregnant, waiting for her groom (Kermit) to come for their wedding, but he comes with a note that says something, I forget what it says. Anyway, that's it.
    I'm still not understanding your question, I hope this answered it.
  3. Yuna Leonhart

Yuna Leonhart Well-Known Member

Maybe to delude herself she really is pregnant...?
  4. miss kermie

The note said,
    "Can't get away to marry you today, my wife won't let me."

And thanks for the explaination. However my human brain is still confused.
  5. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

Maybe the joke is that Kermit would have thought she was lying about being pregnant?
  6. David French

David French Member

The pillow is part of the costume and has no direct relation to the song. The implication is that Miss Piggy's character is pregnant, and that is why she is marrying Kermit's character - he's the father.

The only true joke is that Miss Piggy refuses to remove the pillow because she likes the pretense that she is pregnant to Kermit.
    Muppet fan 123 and miss kermie like this.
  7. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

Yes, it's part of the many gags where Piggy is trying to sucker Kermit into marrying her. I know there's a term for getting pregnant so the male will marry you, but I can't remember what it is.
  8. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

But in a way it is a joke. Just the fact that for the song Piggy is using a pillow to look pregnant is supposed to be funny.

And I don't think Piggy really was trying to make Kermit marry her, this was just a sketch they did that happened to involve a wedding.
  9. miss kermie

Oh...
    Well that's wierd.
    I just watched it the other day, and I was like,
    I still don't know why that's funny.
    I guess it's the, "Ha ha, why is she pregnant!?" Laugh.
  10. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Hmm...Not really. Its really more of a social satire, I suppose, or even just a bit insulting to people who get married just because they get pregnant. I think the laugh is on several levels:
    A. Haha. Someone got knocked up and now they get married (I disapprove of this laughter, by the way)
    B. Hehe. Miss Piggy looks funny pregnant!
    C. Hoho. They've tricked us into thinking that a puppet has put a pillow under their dress. (Which is even funnier than a human doing it.)
    D. HA! Fun twist to the song in that the person she's "waiting for" is already married! (What a dirt bag!)
    E. Hahaha, Miss Piggy is genuinely trying to trick Kermit into marrying her through the use of a sketch (Much like in MTM) but he's not falling for it (fooling for it?)
    F. Miss Piggy is attracted to the idea of being pregnant...makes Kermit uncomfortable.

The thing I love most about the Muppets is their levels in jokes, like: "Character in sketch makes joke or sings funny song," "Muppet actress Miss Piggy makes joke about her character in sketch", "Puppets are funny".
  11. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Beau just hit the nail on the head. (Why do I feel he or someone else is going to make a stupid pun using that?)

And just a side note, it's funny on the main page when this thread is at the top of the Classic Muppets section, and Beau posts on it last...
    Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  12. Beauregard

*hits fingernail with mallet* You brought this on me!!!

(Haha, yes it does look good, "The Beauregard thread -- For...Beauregard")
    Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  13. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

What did I tell ya?
  14. miss kermie

Beau: Ah, yes, now I see.

Hubert: Yes, that's wierd.
  15. Beauregard

*hits Hubert with huge rubber mallet as well*
  16. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be funny if my last name was "Nail"?
  17. Beauregard

It would be much funnier, yes, but it was worth it just for the fact that I had to dress up as Marvin Suggs in order to get away with the hit-and-run.
  18. Muppet fan 123

Can someone please explain this joke to me? (From The Muppets)
    What's the bear capital of the world?
    MOSCOW!!
    Borples and Pinkflower7783 like this.
  19. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Fozzie got it wrong. He used a cow pun for a bear joke.
  20. Muppet fan 123

Seriously? That's it?
    miss kermie likes this.