1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

The Beauregard Thread--For Everybody Who Didn't Get A Joke

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Fraggline, Apr 9, 2011.

1. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

That's what I got out of it, lol.
  2. Fraggline

Fraggline Active Member

I saw the joke as a bit of irony. I mean, you're right; when has anybody else ever done a "monster-and-swing bit"? Perhaps a sketch with a man and a woman on a swing, but certainly not a monster! It's sort of making fun of the fact that the show always has unusual acts.
    Here's the same sort of joke, only a little less subtle (and hopefully less awkward):
    :sleep:: "There they go again. The same old 'pizza-eating gorilla in high-heels tries to make organic orange juice' bit. Why don't they ever do anything out-of-the-ordinary on this show?!?"

But yeah, I guess it's awkward any way you slice it.
  3. Fraggline

Fraggline Active Member

By the way, I just want to apologize to everyone for giving this thread such a dumb title. Honestly, I don't know what I was thinking when I named it the "Beauregard" thread. I never meant to say that those who don't understand a joke are not intelligent--but somebody who gives their thread this title might be.
  4. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Pfft...I think it's a terrific title, it's very Beauregard-like to not understand a joke...and plus the title made for a lot of fun comments...
    muppetfan24/7 and Fraggline like this.
  5. David French

David French Active Member

No he didn't; he's referring to the fact that the brown bear is considered to be a symbol of Russia in the western world.
  6. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Ahh, that would make sense. Thank you, I have a higher respect for Fozzie now, hehe. :o
  7. Borples

Borples Active Member

I thought it must be something like that. It's still not much of a joke...but I guess that's the point. What I want to know is, is there anything insulting about the bear/Russian thing? Because the little headshake that Kermit gave Fozzie didn't look like a "That's a terrible joke!" headshake. It looked like a "Cease! Desist! You can't say that! AND it's a terrible joke!" headshake.
  8. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

`Jack not name, Jack job.`
    Can someone explain this joke to me please?
  9. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

A "Jack" is something that you use to lift up cars. Hence, "He's my Jack." "Hi Jack."

Also, "Hi Jack" may also be a play on the word "Hijack" (as in, to steal a plane.)
    muppetfan24/7 and Muppet fan 123 like this.
  10. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Yeah, basically a misunderstanding...Mad Man Mooney says Sweetums is his jack, but the gang says "Hi Jack," thinking his name is Jack. Just sort of a little pun thingy...
    muppetfan24/7 and Muppet fan 123 like this.
  11. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

As a kid, I didn't get this one joke in The Muppet Movie. When Fozzie asks the Electric Mayhem if Scooter is "the man with the contacts", I thought he actually meant contact lenses (which is weird, since Scooter clearly wears glasses).
  12. Vincent Liu

Vincent Liu Well-Known Member

I think they mean the contacts book, so Scooter knows who to call for what.
  13. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

Yep, I figured that as I got older. Funny how kids know what a word means, but don't always know its other meaning(s).
  14. Fraggline

Fraggline Active Member

:D thanks! glad i didn't offend anyone.
  15. catherine

catherine Active Member

sometimes I couldn't undestand the jokes and I would have to ask mum what he meant by that.
  16. Fraggline

Fraggline Active Member

I would do that too, only I would ALWAYS ask during the TV show that everyone was trying to watch. I think my mom had to even make a rule: "no asking questions until the commercial break."
  17. catherine

catherine Active Member

lol fraggline, we were always told to wait until the programme had finished, lol.
  18. Fraggline

Fraggline Active Member

:laugh:
    Kids are just curious, aren't they?
  19. catherine

catherine Active Member

sure yes. anyway I have to go now speak to you lot laterz.
  20. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Okay, here's one I never really got....

In The Great Muppet Caper, when Kermit is shaving and then says, "I wish I had whiskers. Of course then I'd have to use a blade."

I never really got that joke.