1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

The Beauregard Thread--For Everybody Who Didn't Get A Joke

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Fraggline, Apr 9, 2011.

1. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

That's what I got out of it, lol.
  2. Fraggline

Fraggline Active Member

I saw the joke as a bit of irony. I mean, you're right; when has anybody else ever done a "monster-and-swing bit"? Perhaps a sketch with a man and a woman on a swing, but certainly not a monster! It's sort of making fun of the fact that the show always has unusual acts.
    Here's the same sort of joke, only a little less subtle (and hopefully less awkward):
    :sleep:: "There they go again. The same old 'pizza-eating gorilla in high-heels tries to make organic orange juice' bit. Why don't they ever do anything out-of-the-ordinary on this show?!?"

But yeah, I guess it's awkward any way you slice it.
  3. Fraggline

Fraggline Active Member

By the way, I just want to apologize to everyone for giving this thread such a dumb title. Honestly, I don't know what I was thinking when I named it the "Beauregard" thread. I never meant to say that those who don't understand a joke are not intelligent--but somebody who gives their thread this title might be.
  4. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Pfft...I think it's a terrific title, it's very Beauregard-like to not understand a joke...and plus the title made for a lot of fun comments...
    muppetfan24/7 and Fraggline like this.
  5. David French

David French Member

No he didn't; he's referring to the fact that the brown bear is considered to be a symbol of Russia in the western world.
  6. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Ahh, that would make sense. Thank you, I have a higher respect for Fozzie now, hehe. :o
  7. Borples

Borples Active Member

I thought it must be something like that. It's still not much of a joke...but I guess that's the point. What I want to know is, is there anything insulting about the bear/Russian thing? Because the little headshake that Kermit gave Fozzie didn't look like a "That's a terrible joke!" headshake. It looked like a "Cease! Desist! You can't say that! AND it's a terrible joke!" headshake.
  8. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

`Jack not name, Jack job.`
    Can someone explain this joke to me please?
  9. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

A "Jack" is something that you use to lift up cars. Hence, "He's my Jack." "Hi Jack."

Also, "Hi Jack" may also be a play on the word "Hijack" (as in, to steal a plane.)
    muppetfan24/7 and Muppet fan 123 like this.
  10. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Yeah, basically a misunderstanding...Mad Man Mooney says Sweetums is his jack, but the gang says "Hi Jack," thinking his name is Jack. Just sort of a little pun thingy...
    muppetfan24/7 and Muppet fan 123 like this.
  11. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

As a kid, I didn't get this one joke in The Muppet Movie. When Fozzie asks the Electric Mayhem if Scooter is "the man with the contacts", I thought he actually meant contact lenses (which is weird, since Scooter clearly wears glasses).
  12. Vincent Liu

Vincent Liu Well-Known Member

I think they mean the contacts book, so Scooter knows who to call for what.
  13. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

Yep, I figured that as I got older. Funny how kids know what a word means, but don't always know its other meaning(s).
  14. Fraggline

Fraggline Active Member

:D thanks! glad i didn't offend anyone.
  15. catherine

catherine Active Member

sometimes I couldn't undestand the jokes and I would have to ask mum what he meant by that.
  16. Fraggline

Fraggline Active Member

I would do that too, only I would ALWAYS ask during the TV show that everyone was trying to watch. I think my mom had to even make a rule: "no asking questions until the commercial break."
  17. catherine

catherine Active Member

lol fraggline, we were always told to wait until the programme had finished, lol.
  18. Fraggline

Fraggline Active Member

:laugh:
    Kids are just curious, aren't they?
  19. catherine

catherine Active Member

sure yes. anyway I have to go now speak to you lot laterz.
  20. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Okay, here's one I never really got....

In The Great Muppet Caper, when Kermit is shaving and then says, "I wish I had whiskers. Of course then I'd have to use a blade."

I never really got that joke.