The Chipmunks

mr3urious

Reaction score
While it is only 2 years away, I think this movie may just completely flop. The kids who actually liked the films are probably going to be old enough to stop bothering with them. Hopefully 4 years will be time better spent on getting a good plot.
It also grossed less than the other two both domestically and worldwide.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think at this point in time, like Blue Sky with the Ice Age series, Ross and Janice are trying to make these movies their own Shrek.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It also grossed less than the other two both domestically and worldwide.
I recall there was such an insane glut of movies that came out that Holiday movie season. They had at least a summer's worth in a 2 week period. It's partially why The Muppets didn't get the potential it deserved. Still, they decided on a gimmick plot, a G rating (only Pixar gets away with those and just barely) and the fact that the second one was completely screwed up. I'm gonna blame Jason Lee for backing out at the last minute and forcing them to rush the story arc of the nephew/cousin/whatever the heck Replacement Scrappy is. No wonder the character was flat. The third movie probably had a DTV kiddy film feel the whole way around.

I really think that now is the time to stop the movies for a while and go on to the next medium for the characters. Sure, there's that cartoon that may or may not happen (and given how cartoons work today, I'll bet it's animated in Korea for a European production company and then dubbed with Canadian voice actors)... but when is that coming out? If it's coming out.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Another one because they make money.

There's a fallacy that they make sequels and remakes because Hollywood has run out of ideas. Frankly, ideas were already run out centuries ago in myths, legends, epic poems, fairy tales, theater... wouldn't be surprised if most tropes were considered overused before written word. Hollywood makes remakes and sequels because, for the most part they're low risk. If a movie does well the first time around, guess what seems like only a logical film to invest in? Remakes...eh... those are a little more risk on the count of if you do it the wrong way (and they often do) you alienate the fanbase of the original and fail to capture the audience that has never heard of it/doesn't give a crap. Chipmunks was successful. That's almost an exception to the rule. For every Chipmunks/Transformers (say what you will, they make tons of money)/Get Smart/Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (NO ONE remembers the not Steve Martin one), there's dozens of Marmadukes, Lone Rangers, Green Hornets, that remake of Psycho that no one had any business doing. Even if they don't make remakes, they wind up making similar films with slight twists (like how R.I.P.D. is essentially MIB with death).

I just have to ask... what "original" films do people want to actually see? Original usually translates into pseudo-independent movie about feelings and relationships... and lemme tell you, that stuff is just as far from original as a sequel to a remake of a remake of a sequel. Oscar Bait films are invariably old people in a relationship slowly dying, something crappy that happened in history (usually genocide), an emotionally manipulative Biopic, and something about how bittersweet everything is. Are they better films? Debatable. But they are no less unoriginal than yet another Chipmunks film.

I'd say original would be staring at a jar of mayo for 2 hours... if Rocko didn't already do it.

Rugratskid

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to find ALL of season 1 of the 1983 cartoon and download it. I think all of season 2 is online too, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah, back in the day (2008), a friend of mine had purchased a bootleg DVD of the 1983 series, which claimed to be the complete series, but clearly missed a number of episodes, and they were obviously recorded off of CN, but she was posting them on YT on an almost daily basis... and even then, I had the foresight to download them, because I knew eventually they would be taken down, and eventually they were. Main problem is I shouldn't have downloaded them as MPGs... I did that because the file sizes were smaller, therefore, I could fit more of them onto fewer CD-Rs, but I didn't know at the time that MPGs are basically designed to "break" sooner or later, so none of the episodes I downloaded are even playable now. :smirk:

Rugratskid

Reaction score
That stinks. Luckily I may be able to post season 1 of veoh, or at least try. Also, if you send ONE mpg file to me, I can try and fix it. But if you don't have them anymore OR just plain don't want to, that's fine too.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
At last, a mystery that's been plaguing me for the the past 20 years or so has finally been solved: the episode that I vaguely remembered seeing as a kid but couldn't identified that involved the Chipmunks and Chipettes in jail is "Staying Afloat".

The scene isn't EXACTLY as a remember it, I seem to recall it being night, and Dave actually bailing them out, though Alvin's attempt to stay behind bars, and deciding he can survive on only bread and water tells me this is exactly the scene I remember.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Apparently the new show, which is being renamed ALVINNN!!! AND THE CHIPMUNKS, has been delayed until 2015, for whatever reason.